FSN: 'Nugget' gets nutritious: Lighter Gophers RB Williams ready to carry load

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Gophers running back Rodrick Williams Jr. earned the nickname "Nugget" before he ever set foot on a college field. The moniker came about after the Lewisville, Tex., native ate 50 chicken nuggets from McDonald's during his recruiting visit to Minnesota.

Though the nickname has stuck, chicken nuggets -- and plenty of other unhealthy foods -- are now gone from Williams' diet. As he enters his senior year, Williams has a real shot to be the Gophers' starting running back. But playing at a weight of 247 pounds was not ideal.

So Williams committed himself to losing weight after Minnesota's loss in the Citrus Bowl. Thanks in large part to team nutritionist Brittany Francis, Williams shed 20 pounds and is now down to 227 pounds during spring ball.

"I feel faster," Williams said Thursday. "I don't get tired as easily. At first I was worried about not being able to hit somebody because I was lighter. But the first day when we were practicing with pads, it just felt the same. Still the same mentality."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...b-rodrick-williams-ready-to-carry-load-032615

Go Gophers!!

good. I think we will be seeing a lot of him this year.

I have been to three practices this year and Rodrick has impressed all three times. I can't speak to his power but to my eyes he looks noticeably faster and, even better, quicker. He is able to pretty consistently make the first guy miss. If I had to project a starting back right now I would guess Rodrick is the guy. Jones and Smith are pretty good too so the competition is wide open from what I can see.

I have been to three practices this year and Rodrick has impressed all three times. I can't speak to his power but to my eyes he looks noticeably faster and, even better, quicker. He is able to pretty consistently make the first guy miss. If I had to project a starting back right now I would guess Rodrick is the guy. Jones and Smith are pretty good too so the competition is wide open from what I can see.

The depth of this year's team is pretty astounding. Obviously there are still thin spots but its unbelievable compared to when Kil got here.

"Among the lessons Cobb taught Williams: you can't get tired. Cobb would remind Williams of that whenever he saw him with his hands on his hips in practice, trying to catch his breath."

Cobb was amazing. I can't think of any other RB in recent years who had is stamina. These days most RBs voluntarily rake themselves out of games. Not David Cobb.

I actually never knew where the nickname "Nugget" came from, that's pretty funny.

Some folks incorrectly viewed Nugget as a one dimensional "bruiser" back. He could run you over, but was always shifty and quicker than you would think. If he is even faster now he could be real good. I'm a big fan of Nugget (or whatever I should call him now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some folks incorrectly viewed Nugget as a one dimensional "bruiser" back. He could run you over, but was always shifty and quicker than you would think. If he is even faster now he could be real good. I'm a big fan of Nugget (or whatever I should call him now).

I think his touchdown at Nebraska opened a lot of eyes as to his quickness and speed. :clap::clap:

I'm interested in Nugget minus-25 pounds.

But the name stays. Nugget is forever.

I like Nugget a lot. Best scenario for this year is for him to step up and carry the load while working in Jones, Smith, and Edwards.

I would be OK with three 1000 yard running backs this year. :)

With an improved Leidner passing game...

I like Nugget a lot. Best scenario for this year is for him to step up and carry the load while working in Jones, Smith, and Edwards.

I see your point, but I disagree. Best case scenario is that JJ proves he is the real deal Holyfield.

I've always liked nugget but couldn't understand why he didn't see more playing time. I hope whatever issues he has had with the coaches the last couple seasons are in the past.

I've always liked nugget but couldn't understand why he didn't see more playing time. I hope whatever issues he has had with the coaches the last couple seasons are in the past.
I'm pretty sure the biggest "issue" was called "David Cobb".

Not totally true. Pass blocking and some minor non-playing items contributed to him getting less PT than he otherwise would have.

Nope, it wasn't Cobb. There were behind the scene issues going on. Kill even eluded to it once, although I never heard a confirmation of what those issues were. Maybe it was his pass blocking? Maybe he just wasn't taking practice serious enough, maybe he shot his mouth off too much, who knows? I just hope those issues are cleared up and it sounds like they are.

Though the nickname has stuck, chicken nuggets -- and plenty of other unhealthy foods -- are now gone from Williams' diet. As he enters his senior year, Williams has a real shot to be the Gophers' starting running back. But playing at a weight of 247 pounds was not ideal.

So Williams committed himself to losing weight after Minnesota's loss in the Citrus Bowl. Thanks in large part to team nutritionist Brittany Francis, Williams shed 20 pounds and is now down to 227 pounds during spring ball.

"I feel faster," Williams said Thursday. "I don't get tired as easily. At first I was worried about not being able to hit somebody because I was lighter. But the first day when we were practicing with pads, it just felt the same. Still the same mentality."

Someone with an engineering degree could figure out Nugget at 247 moving at 15 mph applies what force, compare to the improve Nugget at 227 and say moving at 16 mph would hit as hard. There is a formula for this and it could put Nuggets mind at ease and give an enterprising engineer a sense of helping the team.

Top Bottom