Your thoughts....Do you really think some team will beat Kentucky?

Reaction score
Even if you've only played basketball up to the 6th grade you have to see the difference. Nobody is going to beat Kentucky. So just enjoy the run and watch Ashley Judd bounce her rack around.

If it happens - and I highly doubt it will - it will take a near-perfect game along the lines of Villanova-Georgetown in '85.

I'd have put ND in the Final Four in any other bracket. They'll give them a game for 30 minutes. After that, it's curtains. A chance to achieve perfection for the first time in 40 years, all a mere 2.5 hours from their home campus. Good luck.

Hard to cheer for them for them with the sleeziness factor. But anything is better than having to listen to the skunks if they won it all. Ufdah

Hard to cheer for them for them with the sleeziness factor. But anything is better than having to listen to the skunks if they won it all. Ufdah

This

I don't think there is anything Kentucky can do to make me think of them as one of the top teams of all time, undefeated record or not. I don't think they'd even beat the Kentucky team from 20 years ago.

They are so good defensively I don't see anybody beating them, as much as I hate Duke that might be a competitive matchup.

Wisconsin can, if they get by AZ.

After destroying W. Virginia and nearly laying a colassal egg against Notre Dame, KY is not as outrageously dominant as I thought they might be. KY has been in several OT games this year and won. At this point of the tournament, they can be beat. However, the team that beats them will have to have a nearly perfect game - 65% shooting, +55% 3 pt shooting, +90% free throw shooting, <5 turnovers, holds their own on rebounding. Not sure if it stands for the entire season but KY did a very poor job of boxing out against ND.

A Michigan St. (7th seed) vs KY final w/ Michigan St. winning would be one of the best upseats in college history.
In 1985, Eight-seed Villanova, coached by Rollie Massimino, won their first national title with a 66–64 victory in the final game over Georgetown (35 -3 season record), coached by John Thompson. Ed Pinckney of Villanova was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. The game is often cited among the greatest upsets in college basketball history. This Villanova team remains the lowest-seeded team to win the tournament.

If it happens - and I highly doubt it will - it will take a near-perfect game along the lines of Villanova-Georgetown in '85.

Yes, absolutely no one thought that Villanova would win that game. I consider it a great privilege to have seen that game and would consider myself extremely lucky to see another like it. Runners up would be NC State's victory over Houston and Duke's victory over defending champion and undefeated UNLV (although I couldn't stand Duke at the time so I wasn't happy about that one).

Danny & the Miracles was another amazing run. Granted, Danny Manning was the best player in college basketball, but that wasn't a vintage Kansas team. ... Manning didn't have a lot with him that year. Reminds me of Michigan State this year, except Sparty has nowhere near the best player in college basketball like the Jayhawks did.

Duke and Wisconsin are absolutely capable of beating Kentucky in my opinion.

Duke and Wisconsin are absolutely capable of beating Kentucky in my opinion.

Agree with this. MSU has a shot vs. Duke and/or Wisconsin, but they'd have no chance vs. Kentucky. UK not a good matchup for Sparty.

This is a BS question as depth hasn't caused Wisconsin a problem yet this year but I'll ask it anyway.

Is anyone concerned with Wisconsin's depth against UK? Can they slow the game down enough that depth doesn't present itself as a concern. And is it possible for Kaminsky to not foul all those bigs for 40 minutes? And if he doesn't is there any doubt that Bo Ryan is the greatest Ref manipulator of all time?

This is a BS question as depth hasn't caused Wisconsin a problem yet this year but I'll ask it anyway. Is anyone concerned with Wisconsin's depth against UK? Can they slow the game down enough that depth doesn't present itself as a concern. And is it possible for Kaminsky to not foul all those bigs for 40 minutes? And if he doesn't is there any doubt that Bo Ryan is the greatest Ref manipulator of all time?

That's been my biggest thing too why I think UK will win. Wisconsin wins games in large part by how you guard Kaminsky. Double him? Kick out to open shooters or he will score from the perimeter to limit doubles. Single him and he can score on you in the post.

However, UK can single cover Frank, still guard him on the perimeter, and guard him in the post. Plus, their guards are huge and athletic and can close on shooters extremely well. There is a reason they have the number one D.

On the other side, as you said, can Frank guard UK's front line? Or does he get in foul trouble and dig themselves even deeper.

The things Wisconsin does well on O is exactly what the Kentucky D should be the perfect team to stop.

If I am Kentucky, I run every play on offense through whoever Frank is guarding. If he gets in foul trouble and has to sit on the bench, then Wisconsin can't play with Kentucky. If Frank tries to defend safe without risking fouls, that won't work against Kentucky's bigs.

I think Kentucky can beat itself. Bad night of shooting, couple guys in foul trouble against a good team will do anyone in. And the final four is full of good teams.

I hate Wisconsin, but can't root against them against Kentucky. Would be fine with an all B1G final and MSU winning it all.

As others have pointed out, UK's size could be problematic for the Badgers. Wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those games where someone comes out of the blue and gives the Badgers surprisingly good minutes, maybe a guy like Vito Brown? Bo has a knack for finding the right time (and the right amount of minutes) to play guys like that. Showalter vs. Oregon in the Round of 32 was a good example.

This is a BS question as depth hasn't caused Wisconsin a problem yet this year but I'll ask it anyway.

Is anyone concerned with Wisconsin's depth against UK? Can they slow the game down enough that depth doesn't present itself as a concern. And is it possible for Kaminsky to not foul all those bigs for 40 minutes? And if he doesn't is there any doubt that Bo Ryan is the greatest Ref manipulator of all time?

Its a good question and I really thought that WI would have tough time getting the motor started against Arizona after nearly losing to North Carolina two days earlier. North Carolina ran on Wisky and pushed that game right up until the end, it took everything for Wisky to win that game. Then two days later Wisky plays the out-for-revenge Arizona and Dekker, Kaminsky and team put on a shooting show through the entire game - that is ridiculous since you have to think their legs were tired. As much as I really hope I am wrong, Wisky is playing like a team going toward destiny. If they win it all, i would have to tip my hat to them - it would be one heck of a story to down KY and then beat Duke(?) after losing to them earlier in the year.

As others have pointed out, UK's size could be problematic for the Badgers. Wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those games where someone comes out of the blue and gives the Badgers surprisingly good minutes, maybe a guy like Vito Brown? Bo has a knack for finding the right time (and the right amount of minutes) to play guys like that. Showalter vs. Oregon in the Round of 32 was a good example.

I think Vito will be a big piece in whether or not they make it through UK. Just someone there to hold Townes and whomever else posts up long enough for a double to show up or make them not dunk the ball.

I think Kentucky can beat itself. Bad night of shooting, couple guys in foul trouble against a good team will do anyone in. And the final four is full of good teams. I hate Wisconsin, but can't root against them against Kentucky. Would be fine with an all B1G final and MSU winning it all.

The thing is if UK gets in foul trouble. Their bench is also a final four team in itself. Not so much with Wisconsin. That's what makes UK so tough. They have basically 10 guys that are big and really really good.

Problem for Wisconsin is their top 5 isn't going to do all that bad against the Kentucky top 5. It's the next 5 players of Kentucky which are better than the 5 the Gophers had on the court starting this year. Kaminsky is destined to be in foul trouble, which means Dekker won't be getting a ton of open looks and no one scores against all the 7 footers Kentucky has anyway. If anyone was going to beat Kentucky, it was Notre Dame. They played a fantastic game and it still wasn't enough. I think Kentucky wins by at least 10 and wouldn't be surprised if its 20+.

It took a perfect final twelve minutes for Kentucky to escape Notre Dame. They can be beaten.

Top Bottom