Do you consider Army & Navy Power 5 opponents?

After the SEC West dominated the college football playoff in its first year, they have earned the right to count Army as a power 5 opponent. Realistically, their insanely difficult conference schedule in the SEC means that we should count whoever they play out of conference as power 5, just to balance things out. Even in their bye weeks, I hope the committee can see how tough the SEC is, and credits them with a road victory against a power 5 opponent.

No better/worse than lot of Power 5 cellar-dwellers (Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Colorado, etc.).

After the SEC West dominated the college football playoff in its first year, they have earned the right to count Army as a power 5 opponent. Realistically, their insanely difficult conference schedule in the SEC means that we should count whoever they play out of conference as power 5, just to balance things out. Even in their bye weeks, I hope the committee can see how tough the SEC is, and credits them with a road victory against a power 5 opponent.

This is sarcasm, right? I think everyone found out what a fraud the SEC West was this past season...

I think a sarcasm detector that "kind of works" is actually worse than one that is flat out broken.

Yes to Navy and BYU. No to Army. The Knights just don't have a quality program. Navy is a solid well coached program that no one looks forward to playing. Sure, u probably feel like u should beat them, and u might, but more than likely you'll have to play your rear end off for 4 quarters just to escape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, this one brought me put of hibernation. I love the Gophs, and love Army as well. Yes, these games should count. It seems to me that they just decided that all Independent Schools in FBS should count. These are the only four I believe. So they selected as a group, not individual schools. Yes, Army's program has been down for a while. BUT... stay tuned. Seriously. Jeff Monken is the head coach now and he just finished his first season. He is what you expect in an Army coach... tough, disciplined, relentless, smart. Army just finished its best recruiting season that I can recall. And perhaps most importantly, the War on Terror (or at least the never-ending deployments) is winding down. If you think that the WOT didn't affect Army's fortunes significantly - you are crazy. HUGE advantage for Navy and Air Force. Why? Patriotism has been in favor. But walking through minefields and dodging IEDs? Not so much. Much easier to convince a mother that her son should be patriotic by riding in a submarine or purchasing airplane parts than dodging sniper fire in Kabul. That's changing with the drawdown. I guarantee you that if this staff stays at West Point, good things are in store for this Army program. And they will be an opponent not to take lightly. Additionally Army draws crowds vey, very well. That's especially true in SEC country. What school in the SEC does not have a major Army installation within easy driving distance? Yes, they should count the games! Beat Iowa, Beat Wisconsin, and Beat Navy!

C'mon Army Gopher you forgot to mention all the "Navy" players that end up in the Corps after graduation, not every Naval Academy punk is a ship rider lol.

I think I read a story about Florida State attempting to schedule Alabama and Auburn in a home and home in different years. If the SEC is serious, then take these offers and quit padding your schedules. There are natural rivals all over the SEC. Arkansas, could schedule Texas and Oklahoma if they wanted to. They don't. Missouri could schedule Nebraska and Iowa, but no. LSU does a pretty good job of scheduling at least one big game outside the conference. They could improve their strength of schedule, but they won't. BYU has to take any game any time. The Service Academies are not Power 5 level, and to use them to say they are is folly.

OK, this one brought me put of hibernation. I love the Gophs, and love Army as well. Yes, these games should count. It seems to me that they just decided that all Independent Schools in FBS should count. These are the only four I believe. So they selected as a group, not individual schools. Yes, Army's program has been down for a while. BUT... stay tuned. Seriously. Jeff Monken is the head coach now and he just finished his first season. He is what you expect in an Army coach... tough, disciplined, relentless, smart. Army just finished its best recruiting season that I can recall. And perhaps most importantly, the War on Terror (or at least the never-ending deployments) is winding down. If you think that the WOT didn't affect Army's fortunes significantly - you are crazy. HUGE advantage for Navy and Air Force. Why? Patriotism has been in favor. But walking through minefields and dodging IEDs? Not so much. Much easier to convince a mother that her son should be patriotic by riding in a submarine or purchasing airplane parts than dodging sniper fire in Kabul. That's changing with the drawdown. I guarantee you that if this staff stays at West Point, good things are in store for this Army program. And they will be an opponent not to take lightly. Additionally Army draws crowds vey, very well. That's especially true in SEC country. What school in the SEC does not have a major Army installation within easy driving distance? Yes, they should count the games! Beat Iowa, Beat Wisconsin, and Beat Navy!

Just to clarify, Navy will no longer be an independent as they join the American Athletic Conference (football only) on 7/1/15.

my favorite air force comment ever - 'purchasing airplane parts'

Why not add Air Force to their exception list too? Why let the fact that they aren't in a power 5 conference stop them?

I do not consider them power 5 schools personally. But who cares what I think?

They both have more national championships than wisconsin

I always think of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines as the power four.

I appreciate your assessment of the Army football program. Watch Army - Navy every year and came away from this year's game impressed with Coach Monken.

650+ program wins (more than Mizzou and Ole Miss), 3 Heisman Trophies, 3 National Titles, and one of the top all-time venues in sport (Michie Stadium).

Top Bottom