Policy Impact on Season Tickets

wait!what?

The attendance at the Spring Game is more a sign of the weather than interest in the program, unfortunately. If it was 40-degrees last Saturday the attendance would have been below 5K.

Nope not just the weather. - 10K came and watched gopher football. 10K put off everything else on a nice spring day to watch gopher football. people are excited.

The attendance at the Spring Game is more a sign of the weather than interest in the program, unfortunately. If it was 40-degrees last Saturday the attendance would have been below 5K.

Nope not just the weather. - 10K came and watched gopher football. 10K put off everything else on a nice spring day to watch gopher football. people are excited.

I don't dispute there is excitement, but I have attended enough games (spring and real) around here to know weather plays too big of a role in Minnesota on attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure you are right but that is the past. The question we should be asking is the demand for tickets going to change if the Gophers continue to get better? A good sign that could possibly happen was the attendance at the spring game. The attendance was at least as twice as much as last year’s game and the largest for a spring game since that snake oil salesman left for Norte Dame. There seems to be is a lot of momentum an interest in the program. People here may have a difficult time imagining Gopher football tickets being in demand but if it starts moving in that direction, that change in demand will likely happen faster than they think. None of us here can say for sure what is going to happen with demand for Gopher tickets but there sure is likely going to be a lot of variables in play.

I also think that the 2015 Big Ten home schedule for the Gophers has three games that should attract buyers. They are Nebraska, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Using the relative difference in pricing between each of the games should be a reasonable proxy for ranking the potential demand for each of the games. Please remember, I am not suggesting that the prices these tickets are being offered at is what you would pay somebody selling them around TCF. My only conclusion is that presently the highest demand tickets to the lowest are Nebraska, Michigan, and Wisconsin. For the Illinois game there appears to be very little demand. It again appears that Nebraska is the school that really likes to travel. I have also included below the link to the site I used.

http://www.vividseats.com/ncaaf/min...nnesota+gopher+football+schedule&vkid=5083747

Part of the reason my entire group dropped was the uncertainty of the secondary market pricing. All of us usually have 1 or 2 games that cannot be attended. Used to be able to at the very least get your money back. Now i'm not so sure. With the scholarship requirement basically blanketing the stadium, resellers will probably end up eating some of the cost. Especially in those November games. It's just easier to buy from folks on StubHub or TicketKing if I have a specific game targeted, or just show up at the stadium and buy tix cheap from the scalpers (like you could have done against OSU last year to the tune of $40)

Part of the reason my entire group dropped was the uncertainty of the secondary market pricing. All of us usually have 1 or 2 games that cannot be attended. Used to be able to at the very least get your money back. Now i'm not so sure. With the scholarship requirement basically blanketing the stadium, resellers will probably end up eating some of the cost. Especially in those November games. It's just easier to buy from folks on StubHub or TicketKing if I have a specific game targeted, or just show up at the stadium and buy tix cheap from the scalpers (like you could have done against OSU last year to the tune of $40)

Interesting point. As I said in my original post there are many old and new variables in play when it comes to Gopher football tickets this fall. Everybody has their own assumptions and opinions as to how all this is going to turn out. The interesting part I find is that people are now laying down their bets based on what they think is going to happen. As a result the whole thing is beginning to feel like a poker game. My person belief that it is safer to ante up and see how this plays out.

P.S. - I would love to hear what strategies the resellers are planning to use with the new pricing structure in place. Anyway, as I used to say the price of poker just went up.

Renewed 4 and dropped 2 strictly based on the increased scholarship fees. Looking to move back a row for some additional savings in future years. I shouldn't have picked row 9 when I had the chance.

Back in the Saddle

Renewed our four in 111. Had a couple people drop out so we have two seats open half the time. Not sure how I can convince someone to pay anywhere near the $150 it costs us for each seat per game, especially the OOC not named after randy anphibians, but at least there are 4 solid home games this year. Next years increase is going to be harder to take with the schedule but I will hold out reservations on that until the first week of January.

When can I start tailgating for the first game? Is tomorrow too soon?

Interesting point. As I said in my original post there are many old and new variables in play when it comes to Gopher football tickets this fall. Everybody has their own assumptions and opinions as to how all this is going to turn out. The interesting part I find is that people are now laying down their bets based on what they think is going to happen. As a result the whole thing is beginning to feel like a poker game. My person belief that it is safer to ante up and see how this plays out.

P.S. - I would love to hear what strategies the resellers are planning to use with the new pricing structure in place. Anyway, as I used to say the price of poker just went up.

I think a lot of us would love to "ante up" but just plain can't afford it in the family budget anymore.

I think a lot of us would love to "ante up" but just plain can't afford it in the family budget anymore.

I can certainly appreciate that. The really sad part is that it is going to get worse.

Our group had 20 (yes 20)

We are down to 18 for next year, and will be down to 8 for 2017.

-2 now
-12 by 2017

I renewed all 4 of mine but was equally upset that in future years if i solicit someone to donate my 500.00 per seat in my name they could not get the benefit of the tax deduction.

however they could get the tax deduction but i would not receive the Gopher points.

I feel that is harsh if i am going out and getting that donation just like Norwood is doing with corporations I just helped obtain 2000.00 (future speculations) and i just get teh opportunity to still sit my my seats i have had for years.

I feel the policy should be that if i get the donation they get the tax forms and I get my gopher points.

would like to hear what others think of this

I renewed all 4 of mine but was equally upset that in future years if i solicit someone to donate my 500.00 per seat in my name they could not get the benefit of the tax deduction.

however they could get the tax deduction but i would not receive the Gopher points.

I feel that is harsh if i am going out and getting that donation just like Norwood is doing with corporations I just helped obtain 2000.00 (future speculations) and i just get teh opportunity to still sit my my seats i have had for years.

I feel the policy should be that if i get the donation they get the tax forms and I get my gopher points.

would like to hear what others think of this

I don't know this for a fact, but I would assume that this is an IRS limitation. Any tax accountants out there that know for sure?

I don't know this for a fact, but I would assume that this is an IRS limitation. Any tax accountants out there that know for sure?

I'm not a tax consultant, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I believe you are right.

Tax limitation? why would the government care if a person gets Gopher points? yes the IRS only can give Tax credit to the one who donates but has nothing to do with the Gopher point system

Tax limitation? why would the government care if a person gets Gopher points? yes the IRS only can give Tax credit to the one who donates but has nothing to do with the Gopher point system

I'm sorry that I wasn't more clear. I think the tax limitation relates the the tax deduction. Not the gopher point system.

I am angry about the year 2 and 3 increases and was on the fence about this year, mainly due to this principle issue. Unless this is a championship type year, I think Teague will back off the massive year 2 and 3 increases, so I may still renew.

I do think they are going to take a hit this year during renewals though, and they probably will downplay it and not fully acknowledge it. The proof on how it plays out will be visual as we see how many open sections there are in September, and by how many $10 ticket deals Norwood tosses out the casual fans during the season.

I did my taxes tonight, and surprisingly I do have a few thousand dollars, so the 'principle" angle probably will go out the window Friday afternoon. I am on a crusade to put nothing on a credit card that I cannot pay off within 30 days, so this tax return does help, regardless of my general view of these increases.

I am angry about the year 2 and 3 increases and was on the fence about this year, mainly due to this principle issue. Unless this is a championship type year, I think Teague will back off the massive year 2 and 3 increases, so I may still renew.

I do think they are going to take a hit this year during renewals though, and they probably will downplay it and not fully acknowledge it. The proof on how it plays out will be visual as we see how many open sections there are in September, and by how many $10 ticket deals Norwood tosses out the casual fans during the season.

I did my taxes tonight, and surprisingly I do have a few thousand dollars, so the 'principle" angle probably will go out the window Friday afternoon. I am on a crusade to put nothing on a credit card that I cannot pay off within 30 days, so this tax return does help, regardless of my general view of these increases.

Well stated. i'm in the same boat. Our group dropped 2 tickets in the old $250 zone. Seemed like every game we had a couple extra tickets that were hard to give away. Really disappointed in the massive year 2,3 increases; especially in our zone. We are in row 5 partially obstructed by the players. Not going to pay $1000 seat for obstructed views. This was not thought out well..

So to summarize this ridiculous thread: Essentially the same people constantly rehashing and trotting out the same tired, old crap and same tired, old rants page after page after page. An echo chamber. Real ground breaking stuff to be found here. Smh. :rolleyes:

I would be shocked if the U changed anything in years 2 and 3. They will see this three year plan through and then reassess after that.

Go Gophers!!

So to summarize this ridiculous thread: Essentially the same people constantly rehashing and trotting out the same tired, old crap and same tired, old rants page after page after page. An echo chamber. Real ground breaking stuff to be found here. Smh. :rolleyes:

Must be a GH first timer.

I would be shocked if the U changed anything in years 2 and 3. They will see this three year plan through and then reassess after that.

I think they evaluate after the 2nd season of price increases. If the number of season ticket purchases drop far enough, there is no way they will implement season 3 as planned.

I think they evaluate after the 2nd season of price increases. If the number of season ticket purchases drop far enough, there is no way they will implement season 3 as planned.

After they win the BTW this year this is all a moot point. We are just not used to success and all that encompasses it. Our group of eight are in for the long haul in section 112.

Who hates Iowa??

The big question is whether there are "new" season ticket holders out there who are willing and able to purchase tix to make up for the loss of current STH who are dropping or cutting back because of the new prices. And the other question that remains to be answered - after this round of the process, how many people will re-locate to a section of the stadium with lower required donations?

basically, there three ways this can go:
1. significant drop in attendance - new ticket buyers do not replace people who drop out.
2. no impact - new ticket buyers offset people who drop out.
3. increase in attendance - new ticket buyers outnumber people who drop out.

I don't anticipate a big drop this year - but year 2 and 3 will be interesting to watch.

The big question is whether there are "new" season ticket holders out there who are willing and able to purchase tix to make up for the loss of current STH who are dropping or cutting back because of the new prices. And the other question that remains to be answered - after this round of the process, how many people will re-locate to a section of the stadium with lower required donations?

basically, there three ways this can go:
1. significant drop in attendance - new ticket buyers do not replace people who drop out.
2. no impact - new ticket buyers offset people who drop out.
3. increase in attendance - new ticket buyers outnumber people who drop out.

I don't anticipate a big drop this year - but year 2 and 3 will be interesting to watch.

So you are saying attendance will either decrease or increase, and if not it will stay the same?

Top Bottom