Policy Impact on Season Tickets

Second only to sitting rather than standing the entire game.

That leaves 10,000 gopher fans or less. Good thing they're the state university or they'd be threatening to leave.

Dropping or downsizing your season tickets negates you as a fan?

If it truly stems from a lack of affordability, then 'no' it doesn't negate you as a fan. But, if you put your own financial situation/philosophy ahead of the financial reality/health of the program...then, yes, you are not a true fan.

If it truly stems from a lack of affordability, then 'no' it doesn't negate you as a fan. But, if you put your own financial situation/philosophy ahead of the financial reality/health of the program...then, yes, you are not a true fan.

What about using that money for different experiences (key games, road games or bowl games)? What about the fans that don't go to any games but watch all of them on tv b/c they decide to spend their money differently? The above people are not true fans?

The four I dropped would actually be $100 less this year than last year. ($250/seat to $150/seat) However, with my kids' activities ramping up, I'm finding it harder and harder to use the 24-28 yearly tickets. I'm not fond of bankrolling somebody else's attendance when I can't go, and the resale market is bankrolling others after adding in the donations...even to key games.

I know my kids activities won't last but 5-6 years, but getting cheap tickets isn't a problem now. Even if they become Bucky-like, I anticipate the tickets still being affordable on the open market b/c the Vikes are still around.

That's kind of my point in dropping my tickets. If the money was earmarked for the football program I probably would have kept them. I have no interest however in being forced to pay more in order to support other sports I couldn't care less about.

Renewed the first night. The Billd's are keeping the same 2 in 212.

Looking to downgrade over next couple of seasons, where "downgrade" hopefully means going up 3-4 rows from current seats.

Really like 212 and will even take the top row to be in it, albeit more expensive than the first years but cheaper than what will be assessed for Row 24 from year 3 of increases on.

Talked to a fundraising rep. today. Says renewals down about 2% thus far; about where they expected. Claims their "consultants" recommended significantly higher donations, but they kept them well below suggested rates. He acknowledged that if the team does not have continued success the next two years there will be big problems.

Thanks to those opening up ur seats for those of us who were wanting additional seats and to new ticket holders who were looking to get in but at some good locations. Cheers! Ski-u-Mah!

And these folks couldn't get more or new tickets last year? Not very resourceful are they. Do these new fans even have phones or a computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to those opening up ur seats for those of us who were wanting additional seats and to new ticket holders who were looking to get in but at some good locations. Cheers! Ski-u-Mah!

Yep looking forward to upgrading and adding seats.:D

What about using that money for different experiences (key games, road games or bowl games)? What about the fans that don't go to any games but watch all of them on tv b/c they decide to spend their money differently? The above people are not true fans?

The four I dropped would actually be $100 less this year than last year. ($250/seat to $150/seat) However, with my kids' activities ramping up, I'm finding it harder and harder to use the 24-28 yearly tickets. I'm not fond of bankrolling somebody else's attendance when I can't go, and the resale market is bankrolling others after adding in the donations...even to key games.

I know my kids activities won't last but 5-6 years, but getting cheap tickets isn't a problem now. Even if they become Bucky-like, I anticipate the tickets still being affordable on the open market b/c the Vikes are still around.

Yea - Those Vikings seat licenses are a real bargain and their ticket prices are the best deal in town. You are entitled to do what ever you want to do but this charade of survey you are doing is a farce. We get it you're angry but stop being so transparent.

I love how this topic should somehow be "off limits" on this board. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Yea - Those Vikings seat licenses are a real bargain and their ticket prices are the best deal in town. You are entitled to do what ever you want to do but this charade of survey you are doing is a farce. We get it you're angry but stop being so transparent.

I'm not angry. I'll still spend the money on the gophs (road tips, big games, and bowl games); it's the combination of my family commitments and me not getting to make gopher and kid schedules that don't conflict combined with throwing away money. However, the average fan and STH, imo, isn't going to pay. Hell, we barely (and sometimes can't) even sell out the stadium giving students free tickets and offering others for $10.

The Vikes licenses are expensive, but they'll sell them because the demand is there, where the Gophers, sadly, don't have the demand.

Talked to a fundraising rep. today. Says renewals down about 2% thus far; about where they expected. Claims their "consultants" recommended significantly higher donations, but they kept them well below suggested rates. He acknowledged that if the team does not have continued success the next two years there will be big problems.

I bet this goes up considerably! I didn't know you have to notify them in writing to cancel your tickets. I got an invoice today for doing nothing and had to call to clarify why I'm getting the invoice.

Total: -21

I'm not angry. I'll still spend the money on the gophs (road tips, big games, and bowl games); it's the combination of my family commitments and me not getting to make gopher and kid schedules that don't conflict combined with throwing away money. However, the average fan and STH, imo, isn't going to pay. Hell, we can't even sell out the stadium giving students free tickets and offering others for $10.

The Vikes licenses are expensive, but they'll sell them because the demand is there, where the Gophers, sadly, don't have the demand.

OSU comes to town at 8-1 to play the 7-2 Gophers, fresh off an absolute mauling of one of their biggest rivals and they announced a crowd 5,000 shy of a sellout. The Vikes probably sell 20,000 more seats in a similar scenario. That's the difference in the fanbases.

Dropped all 4 of our season tickets. Per seat price going from $330 to $830 in three years isn't justified by supply/demand. Unfortunately, we're going to have a hard time expanding our stadium to 80,000 like we are apparently able to do with the current infrastructure.

I am dropping my two tickets due to the price increase and the inflexibility of the Athletic Department to work with me to identify seat alternatives. My budget can't handle the planned price increases. Very disappointing as I have been a ticket holder for 20 plus years. If they couldn't sell out the stadium at the previous prices, how in the world do they think they will solve their attendance problem with this plan.

Dropped one in the $330 area. May drop the other two (after 38 years) by '17 as games will average over $100 each then, including non-con games.

Still debating on mine...got the invoice for 2 seats/seatbacks/parking for $810 before my "donation" is added at $75 a seat.... for a wonderful total of $960. I honestly don't think I am getting my monies worth at that price. That extra $220 they are hoping to get from me this year would be nearly the cost of a third seat the last 4 years of having seats......decisions to be made

We kept our two and our friends that we sit with kept their two...all four are in the $450/seat zone....section 212 row 8. Looking forward to a great season. This is still the best bang for buck in town IMHO. Viking, Twins, Wild, are all way more expensive and I'd rather my money go to the Gophers.

We kept our two and our friends that we sit with kept their two...all four are in the $450/seat zone....section 212 row 8. Looking forward to a great season. This is still the best bang for buck in town IMHO. Viking, Twins, Wild, are all way more expensive and I'd rather my money go to the Gophers.

I'd agree with you regarding the Vikings and Wild, but the Twins are a much better bargain than Gopher football. There are many affordable seats at Target Field. If you want to just get in the stadium, the Twins games can be very cheap (and you can bring in your own food).

People who have season tickets are Gopher fans, more often than not. You know that, but choose to look down your nose at people who are choosing to give up their tickets, and you likely knew that when you clicked on the thread, but still chose to post in it anyway. What did you expect this thread to be about?

I agree. Gophers fans are people who buy tickets and support the team. This thread is for people to show off how they dropped their tickets. Try to keep up.

Dropping or downsizing your season tickets negates you as a fan?

Dropping your season tickets to buy cheaper ones elsewhere makes you a pretty sh1tty fan, in my opinion. Would you rather your money go to the athletic department or into the pockets of scalpers?

Start as many threads as you want in order to whine about the cost of competing in major college athletics, but then you've forfeited your right to complain about the University of Minnesota's inability to compete with their conference peers and on a national level - particularly when you've gone out of your way to be as unsupportive of that cause as possible.

Dropping your season tickets to buy cheaper ones elsewhere makes you a pretty sh1tty fan, in my opinion. Would you rather your money go to the athletic department or into the pockets of scalpers?

Start as many threads as you want in order to whine about the cost of competing in major college athletics, but then you've forfeited your right to complain about the University of Minnesota's inability to compete with their conference peers and on a national level - particularly when you've gone out of your way to be as unsupportive of that cause as possible.

I'm not taking any money out of the athletic department's pocket. The tickets I will buy still have the donations tied to them; I, simply, didn't have to pay for the donation.

Furthermore, I plan on spending roughly the same amount of money on the football program. I just get to do it on my terms through which games I go to (adding more away trips and bowl games) and which ones I can't go to.

Lastly, the seats I gave up are evidently in high demand according to posters here and will be purchased by someone else, so the U's out zero money.

Total: -27 (30 dropped; 3 added)

Don't feed in oddstock. This is a perfectly legitimate topic for this board, but for some reason certain folks get really worked up when others don't do what they have decided to do.

Don't feed in oddstock. This is a perfectly legitimate topic for this board, but for some reason certain folks get really worked up when others don't do what they have decided to do.

I know. It baffles me how some can continually rip 18 and 19 year old kids and their God given playing ability and limitations (which are far beyond almost every poster here), but it's taboo to discuss or inquire about a topic like this.

Oh yeah, my 15 years of STH, 2 bowl games, trips to Iowa, trip to Bucky, trip to Penn St., 2 tunnel walks, and 5 straight Signing Day Socials make me nothing but a non-fan or sh1tty fan at best.

I feel like the economics of Gopher football tickets are really bizarre. I always thought the idea of season tickets in any sport is that you get all of the tickets at a cheaper per game cost than what you would if you bought the tickets one at a time because you are committing to buy all of the games up front. When I buy a 24 pack of Dr. Pepper, I expect that to cost significantly less than buying 24 cans of Dr. Pepper at a vending machine, just like I expect it to cost less than two 12 packs. If you can go to all of the games in a comparable seat for less money buying the tickets one at a time, it seems like something is wrong with the pricing (unless you are doing something like waiting until after the games start to buy from scalpers in which case you are missing the start of the game).

Not a single person has said that it's illegitimate. It appears that many of you want to patted on the back for your decision, which a pretty peculiar line of thinking on a Gophers fan board. Like I've already said - bitch all you want about ticket prices and drop them, but when you do so, you forfeit your right to complain about the quality of the program.

I feel like the economics of Gopher football tickets are really bizarre. I always thought the idea of season tickets in any sport is that you get all of the tickets at a cheaper per game cost than what you would if you bought the tickets one at a time because you are committing to buy all of the games up front. When I buy a 24 pack of Dr. Pepper, I expect that to cost significantly less than buying 24 cans of Dr. Pepper at a vending machine, just like I expect it to cost less than two 12 packs. If you can go to all of the games in a comparable seat for less money buying the tickets one at a time, it seems like something is wrong with the pricing (unless you are doing something like waiting until after the games start to buy from scalpers in which case you are missing the start of the game).

You're paying a premium to help fund the athletics program. There are those who don't want to do so, and that's fine and their right, but then they don't get to come around on the back end and make jokes about asbestos falling from the practice facility roof, complaining that we can't draw coaching talent because we don't have the funds to pay competitive salaries, why can't we put our coaches on private planes for all of their recruiting trips, etc., etc., etc.

Top Bottom