Policy Impact on Season Tickets

I'll be renewing my 2 tickets. There is no where else I'd prefer to spend my sports dollar....

Norwood could have handled this situation much better. Rather than telling his most loyal customers that prices will be doubling in 3 years, he could have increased prices 15-20%per year and no one would have blinked. The net result would have been prices that are twice as high as last year in 4-5 years, little to no impact on this year's season ticket sales, and a continued loyal following by long-time season tickets holders. Hopefully he's learned a lesson.

I'll be renewing my 2 tickets. There is no where else I'd prefer to spend my sports dollar....

Norwood could have handled this situation much better. Rather than telling his most loyal customers that prices will be doubling in 3 years, he could have increased prices 15-20%per year and no one would have blinked. The net result would have been prices that are twice as high as last year in 4-5 years, little to no impact on this year's season ticket sales, and a continued loyal following by long-time season tickets holders. Hopefully he's learned a lesson.

One thing is certain, this year needs to be equal to or better then the past two or they could be in a really tough spot for season tickets next year. Seems to be a decent number of posters here that kept their seats for this year but are on the fence some with the increases they will be facing over the next two years. If the fans that post here are waivering at all in terms of keeping their seats it is pretty fair to assume that sentiment is going to be even stronger among the less diehard fans that attend games.

This 100 times over.

I think my expenses per ticket are going up 162% by year three. and unless one of the other people sharing my tickets wants to pony up for the donation this will be our last year.

I have thought about this for a long time and like others who have stated if the U can get someone else to pay 120.00 per ticket for my seats then more power to them.

I do think that the stadium will not be full and that the experience on game day will change dramatically. When the team is doing well it might even get better but when they are struggling it will be tough

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading or hearing that the Gophers ticket office/administration is operating under the assumption that the highest demand is for the most expensive seats. I can't remember what thread I read this in, but someone related a conversation with the ticket office, in which they were told something to that effect.

In other words, if the higher prices/donations result in some fans giving up premium tickets, the U believes they will re-sell those seats with little problem. Then, if some of the fans who give up the "good" seats move to lower-priced areas of the stadium, that helps the U fill out the stadium.
So, IF the U is correct in its assumption, they come out ahead with a full (or close to full) house and higher revenue.

BUT - if the U is wrong in its assumption, they face the worst possible scenario - empty seats in the most expensive sections, and people dumping season tickets in order to purchase cheap seats from frantic scalpers or stub hub. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground here - the U seems to be taking a course of win big or lose big. We will see what happens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading or hearing that the Gophers ticket office/administration is operating under the assumption that the highest demand is for the most expensive seats. I can't remember what thread I read this in, but someone related a conversation with the ticket office, in which they were told something to that effect.

In other words, if the higher prices/donations result in some fans giving up premium tickets, the U believes they will re-sell those seats with little problem. Then, if some of the fans who give up the "good" seats move to lower-priced areas of the stadium, that helps the U fill out the stadium.
So, IF the U is correct in its assumption, they come out ahead with a full (or close to full) house and higher revenue.

BUT - if the U is wrong in its assumption, they face the worst possible scenario - empty seats in the most expensive sections, and people dumping season tickets in order to purchase cheap seats from frantic scalpers or stub hub. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground here - the U seems to be taking a course of win big or lose big. We will see what happens.

Whatever they are doing, the biggest problem I will have is that the seats I don't use are $151.00 a game after parking for our highh value seats. That is average. but the scholarship fund donation isnt factored in to the face value so I end up having to sell at a loss, especially the OOC games now that some in our group left or are going half time. I'd rather pay the increase and have it show up on the ticket face than save $117 bucks in federal taxes. It is what it is, though. Look at me writing that check next week.

It's not a perfect science, but it we already are seeing colleges around the country struggle to get students to go to the games. It just seems like the writing is on the wall with younger generations not being as interested about football.

I think that has a lot more to do with the fantastic HD picture you can get from your comfy couch with a fridge full of beer.

I've had plenty of friends who prefer to watch games on TV because they're able to watch multiple games at once. To me, that points to increased interest in football, rather than decreased.

Obviously just an anecdote, but I figured it's at least worth mentioning.

I see it completely differently. If they raised ticket prices three years in a row, there would be plenty of people pissing and moaning about how the AD gave no warning about constant price hikes, and how they would have preferred advanced warning.

I think that has a lot more to do with the fantastic HD picture you can get from your comfy couch with a fridge full of beer.

I've had plenty of friends who prefer to watch games on TV because they're able to watch multiple games at once. To me, that points to increased interest in football, rather than decreased.

Good point.

I recall a post in which someone was told by the ticket office that there would be no problem filling the expensive seats. The poster speculated that those seats would be provided to donors contributing significantly to the facilities fundraising campaign.

It would love to see the consultant report and pricing recommendations that was given to the U's athletic administration. I would be surprised if it didn't include several cases including the pricing/revenue model for the one above. Next week I will post what the revenue numbers would be based on several assumptions.

This is the biggest reason I think.

You can build billion dollar stadiums, and it's still a worse experience than being on the couch with $1 beer.

Can't say the same about baseball, basketball, and hockey.

And if you don't donate more than the standard deduction, that 80% deductible figure is meaningless.

I hope you don't do your own taxes :)

I think what you mean is that if you don't itemize your deductions and/or your total deductions don't exceed the standard deduction, then you can't take advantage of the fact that 80% of the donation is deductible.

This is the biggest reason I think.

You can build billion dollar stadiums, and it's still a worse experience than being on the couch with $1 beer.

Can't say the same about baseball, basketball, and hockey.
Especially when lots of people now like to tweet and post on facebook about the games or follow along online with blogs and live chats, the wifi at the stadium is just not good enough to do those things.

When you look at the gophers schedule this year and next, it's another good argument for holding off the increase for at least one more year. Reality is the gophers will have to play better to achieve the same record this year and the year after they could have a better record playing worse.

Coming out of the 2015 season with 7 wins and doubling ticket prices in 2016 is a potential disaster.
Coming out of the 2016 season with 10 wins and doubling ticket prices in 2017 probably not as tough.

I think what you mean is that if you don't itemize your deductions and/or your total deductions don't exceed the standard deduction, then you can't take advantage of the fact that 80% of the donation is deductible.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Especially when lots of people now like to tweet and post on facebook about the games or follow along online with blogs and live chats, the wifi at the stadium is just not good enough to do those things.

What the hell are you talking about?!? Does this have something to do with the internet?

good news bad news

good news
1. new stadium
2. citrus bowl
3. i'll be renewing.

bad news
edina pre-K with the kid, plays 'jump around' for the kids at music time.

Renewed today.
Norwood and Jerry are banking on the team being better than expectations which as of now sit at 8 wins. That's the only way this works.
Jerry was given his practice facility and he'll be expected to win now.
No more mid season dumps against Illinois or Iowa at home, no more not getting off the bus at TCU or Iowa, no more losing to wisconsin.
If the team wins 10 in the next 2 years it will all work out and the casual sports fans will fill those seats.
I'll be there for the sweet joy of that scenario, or I'll be there to watch the whole thing come crumbling down on Norwood.
Either way I'll have beer.

Renewed today.
Norwood and Jerry are banking on the team being better than expectations which as of now sit at 8 wins. That's the only way this works.
Jerry was given his practice facility and he'll be expected to win now.
No more mid season dumps against Illinois or Iowa at home, no more not getting off the bus at TCU or Iowa, no more losing to wisconsin.
If the team wins 10 in the next 2 years it will all work out and the casual sports fans will fill those seats.
I'll be there for the sweet joy of that scenario, or I'll be there to watch the whole thing come crumbling down on Norwood.
Either way I'll have beer.

There's no practice facility yet...

...but you bring up something the U did for monetary gain: beer. They changed their view on alcohol at TCF Bank stadium 180 degrees. Past President spoke against it with heavy words... but, worried about attendance, they tried to trick people into an 'experimental beer garden that would be far away from the kids'... the real intent was to have booze flowing throughout the stadium and that's now what they do.

But... the problem is that's no longer a carrot to dangle. People already have it. The U hopes allowing alcohol will keep some of its fans coming to games who otherwise wouldn't.

"If ya can't beat 'em, give 'em beer"

I am so confused about all the people saying they have to donate. I just renewed my season tickets, and no donation was required at all. Renewed for $310. I have friends joining our group as new season ticket holders. Same price, no donation. Why is everyone claiming a donation is required?

If you want season tickets, and don't want to pay the donation, order tickets in the non-donation seating areas. Are some of you too dumb to figure that out?

I am so confused about all the people saying they have to donate. I just renewed my season tickets, and no donation was required at all. Renewed for $310. I have friends joining our group as new season ticket holders. Same price, no donation. Why is everyone claiming a donation is required?

If you want season tickets, and don't want to pay the donation, order tickets in the non-donation seating areas. Are some of you too dumb to figure that out?

Us do good us can, but hard. Us no so smart like you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The choice isn't a simple as order tickets in the non-donating seating areas.

If your seat is in an area that is moving in to a donation area, your choice right now is to choose to renew your existing seat's and pay the donation or the choice is non-renew, and then get in a Que of people for late May in hopes that you can at least select a decent non-donation area seat. Almost like going to the back of the line and being included with anyone that wants to purchase new season tickets in the non-donation area, your basically being lumped in with that group.
You pretty much lose all priority and loyalty points for past ticket purchases. What's going to suck is seeing even more Red in the prime seats this season because of the high costs of the overall ticket.

One thing the athletic department and AD should have considered that most Big 10 schools do is the "lock in" option of donation levels. If given the choice to lock the donation in at $250 or $300 even $450 per seat levels for life, and as long as you maintain the season tickets you get to keep your seats and that donation level, like Nebraska and Wisconsin do you would have had a lot more people to plan on saving for the donations and keeping existing donation seats. This was never even an option or not even given a second thought. The overall structure of the donation program is also flawed, the best seating areas and most prime areas in my opinion are undervalued and if what they thought is true that there is demand for those seats the ask was not enough for those seats. Areas that they consider prime and with luxury like having a chairback, but not the best of views, shade, people and hawkers up and down the aisles frequently, people that sit within the 20 and 35 yards lines get the the best value and a better viewing experinece as people near the goal line or end zone seats, and they pay the same donation level, this was not proportionally done, those 20 to 35 yards line seats should have a higher donation level. The overall cost of the actual face ticket should not be locked, but a donation and location lock in option would have been guaranteed money in the bank, and would have increased the probability that people keep buying those specific season tickets, a smart hedge if you will year after year even if the costs of the ticket values increased. Paying the increase but not being smacked in the head with it all up front usually lessens the emotional response to the increase.

What they did with the current pricing system is force a lot of people with existing seats in lower donation areas that have dramatic increases by year 3, this is likely going to result in forcing people out of keeping season tickets because many people in these areas, have circumnstances where they maintain more seats(group seats) than just there core group of ticket buyers. A lot of multiple ticket buyers sit in these areas, in hopes of bringing friends and family to games to get them in, and hooked on Gopher football, with the goal to get these subsdized people to help eventually buy the season tickets. Not just the same people fronting the money for the whole group year afer year. I'm in a group where I subsidize tickets, the people that sit behind us subsidize 12 and the people in front subsidze 4, how many are going to buy season tickets at that level when the donation goes to 800 to 900 bucks? Many will have to reduce the number, I'm in that boat, just not super happy about being moved without much choice or say in the matter because of the situation of the people with kids in my group. Like others have said if they win this will be a huge financial winfall for the Athletic department and there gamble will pay off big time. If they revert and go back to losing or mediocrity this is going to hurt the program and blow up in the athletic departments face. I would rather it be a roaring success than the latter scenaro of empty seats and doom and gloom.

What an intelligent and informational post. Very helpful to all the stupid people, like me. I figured that the U was going to just let 35,000 people jam into the 3,000 or so seats that don't require a donation.

What an intelligent and informational post. Very helpful to all the stupid people, like me. I figured that the U was going to just let 35,000 people jam into the 3,000 or so seats that don't require a donation.

Don't beat yourself up. I'm sure there are people out there more stupid than you.

I just renewed two seats in section 139. I will keep these two as long as I am able to attend games. I did check to change seats and I will be looking for two seats in zone 3 or 4 to try and keep the cost down a little. Love the Gophers.

Top Bottom