Policy Impact on Season Tickets

My wife and I went to a Twins game 2 summers ago and it cost us a cool $200 easily. We got the tickets for $40 apiece (a bargain from a friend) and they were terrible seats in the outfield. Parking was around $30. Food and beverages were around $50 or so. Food CAN be brought in but only consumed in "general" seating. That's the last Twins game we'll ever go to. Give me a Saturday at TCF Stadium any day.

You need friends that don't charge over face value. 2 summers ago, you couldn't buy an outfield ticket that expensive. Even now, for select games, you can only spend $38 on left field lower level, which aren't really all that bad. And $30 parking? I've never seen that. $15 is pretty easy to find, and you can do better than that.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the food--I bring in food, and eat it wherever I feel like.

Very fun season, and lots to build on and be proud of, but I think lots of fans feel it still isn't enough to justify these kinds of increases on season tix when the stadium is still not full on gameday. The scale of increase to ticket prices is the kind of thing you would expect after a title. Of course, if Norwood feels this is the ceiling for the program or close to it, then perhaps he is taking advantage of what he feels is his best chance to capitalize on ticket increases.

Thank you. Very valid points. I have zero problem with anyone who feels the ticket price increases are not justified. My problem is with those who can only make their argument by running down the team and program, and minimizing their accomplishments. I also have a problem with those who seem to be fervently cheering for a scenario that would see a half empty stadium on games days, thus turning those arrogant SOBs into a laughing stock.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the food--I bring in food, and eat it wherever I feel like.

You can sneak food into TCF in pockets, but you can't bring a backpack full of food as I will often do when I go to Twins games with my kids.

You need friends that don't charge over face value. 2 summers ago, you couldn't buy an outfield ticket that expensive. Even now, for select games, you can only spend $38 on left field lower level, which aren't really all that bad. And $30 parking? I've never seen that. $15 is pretty easy to find, and you can do better than that.

The ramps by Target Field are $13 for Twins games (and you can park just northwest of the stadium for $6). And as you said, the lower level seats down the line in the outfield are around $40 full price. Upper deck behind home plate season tickets are $21 each. Season ticket holders also get 10% off all concessions. Twins games _should_ be cheap though, they play 81 home games.

Food CAN be brought in but only consumed in "general" seating.

Not to beat the Twins stuff into the ground, but what do you mean by "general" seating? You can bring your own food into the Legends Club. Not sure about Champions Club, but I've never been told I couldn't bring food in.

TCF you can't bring backpacks at all. (not that that is the reason I'm not renewing)

One fact I haven't seen anyone bring up. Even if the season ticket sales stay the same -- isn't this moving season ticket holders (as many have stated they are moving to lower payment areas) only going to now fill up the upper corners which were previously empty or filled with opposing fans with gopher fans and this year fans of Neb, WI and Mich now going to have single game seats sold to them which are between the goal lines? I will give the marketing team kudos for figuring out how to sell the upper corners and now the single game tickets will be much easier to sell to either gopher fans or opponents.

After much thought-- I am also giving up my 5 season tickets in 237. Much like others have stated I cannot afford for estimated $85 per ticket per game in 2017 (over $425 per game) for me to take my wife and 3 kids. However I am planning on attending as many games as I can just not sitting in the same seats for all of these years.

The plan is that if people give up expensive seats, buyers are supposed to be ready and waiting for those seats. We'll see. I wonder if Nebraska travels really well this year. They've been to TCF a couple times and they are likely to be underdogs.

Not to beat the Twins stuff into the ground, but what do you mean by "general" seating? You can bring your own food into the Legends Club. Not sure about Champions Club, but I've never been told I couldn't bring food in.

TCF you can't bring backpacks at all. (not that that is the reason I'm not renewing)[/QUOThttp://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1041597E]

I am not sure what they mean by "general seating" I simply copied it off the Target Field web site regarding rules of the stadium.

TCF you can't bring backpacks at all. (not that that is the reason I'm not renewing)[/QUOThttp://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1041597E]

I am not sure what they mean by "general seating" I simply copied it off the Target Field web site regarding rules of the stadium.

Twins tickets are the best deal in town. I personally will never attend a Wild game unless someone gives me free tickets, but that has to be most overpriced ticket in town. Of course for me hockey ranks one stop above Nascar or soccer . At Target Field there are very few "bad" seats and the only downside are the concession/ beer prices that are much higher than what you pay in Milwaukee, Kansas City and even at the White Sox Park which I find to be very surprising. Even after four years of Gardy inspired hell they still have not really adjusted the beer prices.

I have never paid to park at a Gopher game at TCF other than when I paid to park at the Leaning Tower/ Hole Lounge and received vouchers for food/ bev. in exchange. I have never paid more than a small amount in the meters that are free after six in areas of downtown for a Twins game. I think you have to try pretty hard to feel ripped off by the Twins if you know how to work the system.

The plan is that if people give up expensive seats, buyers are supposed to be ready and waiting for those seats. We'll see. I wonder if Nebraska travels really well this year. They've been to TCF a couple times and they are likely to be underdogs.

Nebraska always travels well -- I think the key is going to be how long does the ticket office wait until selling single game seats. If they start selling two -packs with a NC and Conf game early I am guessing most seats will be sold with the NC games having lots of tickets on the secondary market. I still am worried about the good seats being taken by opposing fans and the season ticket holders moving up to the no donation seats

Jerry wants lots of people in the seats. If they average 47k per game, he gets more pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (as he did this year)

Sorry if this question has been asked before

will single game tickets be under some sort of donation requirement as well?

is it feasible that season tickets go down and average attendance go up?

if that is what happens is that a good thing or will that wreck any atmosphere that was starting to be built at TCF?

Dropping my 2 tickets. As a professional fundraiser, I find it highly unethical to force an individual who is not yet, or has chosen not to be a "Donor" to make a "Donation". Charitable contributions should be made by a donor who is inspired to support a cause or organization. They should never be demanded. That is what panhandlers downtown do, they demand donations.

I was incredibly offended to receive an Invoice for a "Donation" that I did not make from the ticket office. If they need to increase income from ticket sales, then be honest and call it what it is, a Personal Seat License fee. This is a money grab plain and simple based on 1 decent season. This will blow up in Norwood's face and TCF will be noticeably empty this fall. I'll still buy a ticket to a game here and there on Stub Hub and not have to deal with this BS. Then, I can re-allocate my Gopher Season Ticket dollars to MN United FC.

What a shame . . .

Dropping my 2 tickets. As a professional fundraiser, I find it highly unethical to force an individual who is not yet, or has chosen not to be a "Donor" to make a "Donation". Charitable contributions should be made by a donor who is inspired to support a cause or organization. They should never be demanded. That is what panhandlers downtown do, they demand donations.

I was incredibly offended to receive an Invoice for a "Donation" that I did not make from the ticket office. If they need to increase income from ticket sales, then be honest and call it what it is, a Personal Seat License fee. This is a money grab plain and simple based on 1 decent season. This will blow up in Norwood's face and TCF will be noticeably empty this fall. I'll still buy a ticket to a game here and there on Stub Hub and not have to deal with this BS. Then, I can re-allocate my Gopher Season Ticket dollars to MN United FC.

What a shame . . .

How is anyone being "forced"? Don't make the donation (again, the scare quotes don't apply here). No one is "forcing" you to do anything.

What a shame . . .

I think "unethical" is way over the top.

If it was a Personal Seat License Fee, I suspect it would not qualify for 80% deductibility.

And a panhandler that demanded donations would be guilty of robbery. My goodness, you managed to insult the honorable profession of panhandling! :)

My wife and I went to a Twins game 2 summers ago and it cost us a cool $200 easily. We got the tickets for $40 apiece (a bargain from a friend) and they were terrible seats in the outfield. Parking was around $30. Food and beverages were around $50 or so. Food CAN be brought in but only consumed in "general" seating. That's the last Twins game we'll ever go to. Give me a Saturday at TCF Stadium any day.

You were mugged.

If you spent more than $10 on tickets the last 3 years, then you're doing it wrong. I never spend more than 20 bucks at a Twins game per person all in. Parking is $5 near the Salvation Army and free at the farmer's market.

Personally, I don't care if people go or not. More $10 seats for me.

dpodoll68: How is anyone being "forced"? Don't make the donation (again, the scare quotes don't apply here). No one is "forcing" you to do anything.

You are right, "Forced" is probably a bit strong. No one is forcing me to do anything. Maybe "required" would be better. For example: "If you would like to continue being a season ticket holder in your current seats, you are now required to make a donation". And yes, no one is forcing me to do it. At the end of the day, I chose not to make the required donation, therefore I will no longer be a season ticket holder.

MrC: In my opinion, it is unethical because I don't believe that anyone should be "required" to make a charitable contribution. Charitable giving should be based solely on whether or not an organization or cause inspires a donor to support them. It is my job as a fundraiser to inspire individuals to support my organization. If they chose not to give, I respect that choice and move on. If a donor gives less than I thought they would, I don't send them a thank you note and request they give up to their capacity, I turn the focus on myself and ask what was wrong with my approach if it didn't inspire them to give at the highest level they could. Giving is about free will. It is voluntary. I would have responded much better to this whole program had they been honest and shared that they would be instituting a PSL Policy in the years ahead. Then, once I renew my tickets and pay the PSL, send me a fundraising appeal seeking my support for Student Athlete Scholarships. If I were moved enough by the appeal and felt that my additional support would help, I would make a gift. If not, I would chose not to give. At the end of the day, it just doesn't sit right with me when an organization tells me that I am "required" to make a charitable contribution. Let me make that choice.

MrC: In my opinion, it is unethical because I don't believe that anyone should be "required" to make a charitable contribution. Charitable giving should be based solely on whether or not an organization or cause inspires a donor to support them. It is my job as a fundraiser to inspire individuals to support my organization. If they chose not to give, I respect that choice and move on. If a donor gives less than I thought they would, I don't send them a thank you note and request they give up to their capacity, I turn the focus on myself and ask what was wrong with my approach if it didn't inspire them to give at the highest level they could. Giving is about free will. It is voluntary. I would have responded much better to this whole program had they been honest and shared that they would be instituting a PSL Policy in the years ahead. Then, once I renew my tickets and pay the PSL, send me a fundraising appeal seeking my support for Student Athlete Scholarships. If I were moved enough by the appeal and felt that my additional support would help, I would make a gift. If not, I would chose not to give. At the end of the day, it just doesn't sit right with me when an organization tells me that I am "required" to make a charitable contribution. Let me make that choice.

Once again, no one is required to give anything. You can choose to give or not to give - it's entirely up to you.

Once again, no one is required to give anything. You can choose to give or not to give - it's entirely up to you.

If one wants to be a season ticket holder, they are required to give. Otherwise, you are right, no one is required to give anything. I chose not to give, and therefore give up my season tickets that I've held for years.

If one wants to be a season ticket holder, they are required to give. Otherwise, you are right, no one is required to give anything. I chose not to give, and therefore give up my season tickets that I've held for years.

If one wants to be a season ticket holder, they are required to purchase the tickets. I'd love to see you make the argument that they are being "forced" or "required" to purchase those tickets.

If one wants to be a season ticket holder, they are required to purchase the tickets. I'd love to see you make the argument that they are being "forced" or "required" to purchase those tickets.

Spot on, if you want to be a season ticket holder, you are required to purchase tickets. I completely agree with that. Not expecting to be a season ticket holder without purchasing tickets. I have never been required or forced to purchase those season tickets. It has always been a choice that I made. Things are different now, because I am not able to make the choice to be a season ticket holder until I first make a "Donation" to the U. I disagree with the new "Donation" policy and I am making a choice not to purchase season tickets because of it.

In the same vain, if my annual cost of tickets simply increased, then it would only be my choice to decide if I want to conitnue being a Season Ticket Holder at the increased ticket price. In this case, I am unable to make that choice since I am "required" to make a donation" even before I get to the point of purchasing tickets. I just think they could have done this in a better way. Seat Licenses, simple ticket price increases, etc. Why go the route of instituting a "required donation"? I know I'm not the only fan that is upset by this.

Spot on, if you want to be a season ticket holder, you are required to purchase tickets. I completely agree with that. Not expecting to be a season ticket holder without purchasing tickets. I have never been required or forced to purchase those season tickets. It has always been a choice that I made. Things are different now, because I am not able to make the choice to be a season ticket holder until I first make a "Donation" to the U. I disagree with the new "Donation" policy and I am making a choice not to purchase season tickets because of it.

In the same vain, if my annual cost of tickets simply increased, then it would only be my choice to decide if I want to conitnue being a Season Ticket Holder at the increased ticket price. In this case, I am unable to make that choice since I am "required" to make a donation" even before I get to the point of purchasing tickets. I just think they could have done this in a better way. Seat Licenses, simple ticket price increases, etc. Why go the route of instituting a "required donation"? I know I'm not the only fan that is upset by this.

You're well within your rights to not like it or be upset by it. You're also free to feel that there was a better way to do it. Those are perfectly valid and legitimate stances to take. However, that does not mean that donations are "required" (they aren't), that they're unethical (they aren't), or that they're "donations". They're donations, no scare quotes needed. You get 80% deductibility and the choice to make the donation is 100% voluntary.

So 80% is required and your forced to give the other 20%? Got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom