All Things 2015-16 B1G Schedules

No guarantee we play in the games this year. But either way I like this way to start the season.

Per a Jon Rothstein tweet, Penn State at George Washington will be on Dec. 8.

Good to hear. I'm sure fans of many B1G schools are hoping their team is involved to add a good game to the nonconference schedule. I just wish they would go to 10 instead of 8, I don't quite see what the point is in making it smaller than it has to be, I guess to not force DePaul to lose every year.

Nebraska @ Villanova

As part of the Dave Gavitt Tipoff vs. the Big East.

Sounds like Rutgers is the 2nd known Big Ten team in the Dave Gavitt Tipoff. Said it'll be a bus trip, so maybe Saint John's will be their opponent? Certainly rules out DePaul, Marquette, or Xavier.

Nebraska and Rutgers are in the Gavitt Tip-Off? I already don't like the set up from the standpoint that the top teams in the B1G won't get to participate as often as the top teams from the Big East.

It'll be Interesting to watch the progress of St John's

Sounds like Rutgers is the 2nd known Big Ten team in the Dave Gavitt Tipoff. Said it'll be a bus trip, so maybe Saint John's will be their opponent? Certainly rules out DePaul, Marquette, or Xavier.

With Mullin as a first time head coach, alum, basketball icon there. But to fuel the optimism he has already "stolen" the lead recruiter from Iowa State and now a very prominent NY guy from Kentucky's staff. "Slice" is given high praise in this article from last year. http://zagsblog.com/articles/kentuckys-slice-paying-immediate-dividends-as-a-recruiter/

Impressive start...curious how it goes for St John's.

Nebraska and Rutgers are in the Gavitt Tip-Off? I already don't like the set up from the standpoint that the top teams in the B1G won't get to participate as often as the top teams from the Big East.

That's what happens when you have uneven amounts of teams.

Do you have a solution to avoid the situation you're referencing that would be fair to all Big 10 teams?

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_state_schedules_three.html

Will be part of a college hockey/basketball doubleheader between the two schools. Will be played at Matthews Arena, the original home of the Boston Bruins.

I like when Izzo schedules the marquee opponents, but there is literally no need to go and play a low major like Northeastern on the road. Let them come to the Breslin Center if they want a shot at MSU. I know their AD Hollis likes to be "cutting edge" with scheduling but having a game at a low major with significant travel involved can't be very positive from the MSU perspective.

Northeastern

I like when Izzo schedules the marquee opponents, but there is literally no need to go and play a low major like Northeastern on the road. Let them come to the Breslin Center if they want a shot at MSU. I know their AD Hollis likes to be "cutting edge" with scheduling but having a game at a low major with significant travel involved can't be very positive from the MSU perspective.

I think a road game with Northeastern makes perfect sense. I would not classify them as a "low major" as they have moved to the CAA, which is still decent (at least not a dreg) even without schools like VCU. This past season they were at Top 100 RPI team, got a share of the regular season title and advanced to the NCAA by winning conference Tourney.

Travel costs are mitigated by going with the hockey team and I'm sure they have plenty of alums and fans in the area for some fundraising opportunities. Plus the chowder is great.

I think a road game with Northeastern makes perfect sense. I would not classify them as a "low major" as they have moved to the CAA, which is still decent (at least not a dreg) even without schools like VCU. This past season they were at Top 100 RPI team, got a share of the regular season title and advanced to the NCAA by winning conference Tourney.

Travel costs are mitigated by going with the hockey team and I'm sure they have plenty of alums and fans in the area for some fundraising opportunities. Plus the chowder is great.

You do realize Northeastern is not regularly a top-100 team, and MSU loses revenue of having a potential home game with another low major? Last year they barely got in the top-100, and the past 2 years they weren't in the RPI top-150. There are low majors in the CAA, it's a conference that programs are moving out of because there are too many low majors. The best program(s) have left that conference already for better leagues, I would say most of them including Northeastern are low major. MSU could have easily scheduled a road game against a high major instead that would be much more interesting and a game that would be more looked forward to by virtually everyone, being much more anticipated by the home fans as well for the return trip.

More Gavitt Tipoff games added.

Creighton @ Indiana
Illinois @ Providence
Rutgers @ Saint John's

According to this blog post I found, Nebraska Omaha will be playing the Gophers next season. Naturally you might be skeptical of a blog post, but the part in there that talks about them playing Wyoming and a tournament in Vegas turned out to be true, so I believe this is legit. On another note, posters on a Holy Cross message board are saying that they will play at Maryland next season.

http://omahamavsblog.com/2015/04/13...ntertaining-basketball-schedule-in-2015-2016/

http://s2.excoboard.com/Crossports/33741/2445958

Northwestern/DePaul home & home starts

DePaul will host Northwestern on Dec. 19, per Jon Rothstein.

Thanks. Interesting that it doesn't say where game will be played. The idea was for these games to be played on home courts; wonder if they'll go neutral court on this one. Hope not.

I doubt it would be neutral, unless they play in Baltimore.

Schedules updated with all Gavitt Tipoff matchups. Question now is, will Gophers have any decent home games other than their (presumed) ACC Challenge opponent? Or will they again just settle for that?

Mark Turgeon said that the reason the Georgetown game is in College Park this year is because they will be on the road for the Big 10/ACC Challenge. I wondered if the Gavitt Games and the ACC games would work in tandem, and this would seem to confirm that they do. This is what the home/road split will probably look like for the challenge:

Home teams:
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Ohio State
Rutgers

Road teams:
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Northwestern
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Mark Turgeon said that the reason the Georgetown game is in College Park this year is because they will be on the road for the Big 10/ACC Challenge. I wondered if the Gavitt Games and the ACC games would work in tandem, and this would seem to confirm that they do. This is what the home/road split will probably look like for the challenge:

Home teams:
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Ohio State
Rutgers

Road teams:
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Northwestern
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Cool. Any thoughts on what the ACC split will be? Probably doesn't matter, Gophers again likely to get one of the bottom-rung opponents (deservedly so), unless Rick Pitino has more clout with the ACC/B1G/ESPN than we know.

Found this on a Syracuse forum, but all speculation, of course. Little surprised he doesn't seem that enamored with a potential Orangemen-Purdue matchup considering the expectations Boilers will have.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/4...cc-big-ten-challenge-matchups-orange-schedule

Cool. Any thoughts on what the ACC split will be? Probably doesn't matter, Gophers again likely to get one of the bottom-rung opponents (deservedly so), unless Rick Pitino has more clout with the ACC/B1G/ESPN than we know.

Found this on a Syracuse forum, but all speculation, of course. Little surprised he doesn't seem that enamored with a potential Orangemen-Purdue matchup considering the expectations Boilers will have.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/4...cc-big-ten-challenge-matchups-orange-schedule

Sure. I won't include Virginia Tech in these projections because they finished in last and that is who the ACC usually picks to sit out.

Home teams:
Boston College
Duke
North Carolina (Played on the road in 2012 and 2013, so they might get 2 home games in a row to even it up)
NC State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia

Road teams:
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Miami
Notre Dame
Wake Forest

If everything I posted above is correct, here is what I would project the matchups to be:

BIG home games:
Clemson at Minnesota
Georgia Tech at Nebraska
Florida State at Iowa
Louisville at Michigan State
Miami at Ohio State
Notre Dame at Illinois
Wake Forest at Rutgers

ACC home games:
Penn State at Boston College
Maryland at Duke
Indiana at North Carolina
Michigan at NC State
Northwestern at Pittsburgh
Purdue at Virginia
Wisconsin at Syracuse

In order of relative strength and trying to avoid rematches, I'd go with:

B1G Home
1. Louisville @ Michigan State
2. Notre Dame @ Ohio State
3. Miami @ Iowa
4. Florida State @ Illinois
5. Clemson @ Nebraska
6. Georgia Tech @ Minnesota
7. Wake Forest @ Rutgers

ACC Home
1. Maryland @ Duke
2. Indiana @ North Carolina
3. Wisconsin @ Virginia
4. Michigan @ NC State
5. Purdue @ Syracuse
6. Northwestern @ Pitt
7. Penn State @ Boston College

This would have ACC clearly getting its best teams playing at home. Louisville as the ACC's best road team would be pretty weak. By its standards the 'Ville probably won't be that good next season.

Wisconsin and Virginia played each other in 2012 and 2013, so I am sure they would try to avoid pairing them together again.

Wisconsin and Virginia played each other in 2012 and 2013, so I am sure they would try to avoid pairing them together again.

Missed that, good point. The Wisconsin/Michigan/Purdue road trifecta were the ones I had the most trouble trying to match up. Originally had Michigan @ Syracuse, made the most sense to me, then saw they're both in the Battle 4 Atlantis, so they'd avoid that matchup.

Top Bottom