All Things 2015-16 B1G Schedules

B1G/ACC Challenge games have been added

The question now is, will Clemson be the Gophers' only significant non-conference home game, or will Pitino & Teague finally man up and get another decent game on The Barn floor? Or at bare minimum announce a quality home-and-home that will start on the road?

"Man-up," really? They announced they are trying to find a good home-home. It takes two to tango. Your Minnesota schedule hatred is reaching new levels.

"Man-up," really? They announced they are trying to find a good home-home. It takes two to tango. Your Minnesota schedule hatred is reaching new levels.

Yes, I would acknowledge scheduling is a pet peeve of mine; no secret. I'll be the first to pat both of them on the back when the announcement comes. Still waiting on Teague, especially, who brought up our crappy home schedules under Tubby to the media (a valid criticism, I might add), then promised that would change under his watch/coach. Nothing yet.

And I must add, you talk about "reaching new levels"? Let's just say your nose is dark brown from worshiping every move Pitino makes.

Still holding out hope for a home and home with Texas. NT needs to be on the phone with Shaka.

Per Jon Rothstein, the Penn State-Duquesne game will be on Nov. 20 at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.

SS

Interesting back n forth between Mad and you raised this question for me. Could Minnesota be an absolutely terrible partner to schedule with for other teams? Look at our history of being paper champions and billed as the "next up and coming" B1G Ten team year after year between the Tubby and first 2 Pitino years only to fall flat on your face. What could have looked like at a minimum a quality loss turns into a resume breaker for some quality mid major. Any high major would have very little to gain in scheduling a home and home with Minnesota other than a potential loss to a mid to low level B1G Ten team. Complex situation this scheduling thing.

Don't disagree with your sentiments, however, as a consumer of Minnesota basketball. Other teams seem to be able to navigate this problem, or at least you claim they do (I don't do the research, I rely upon those that do, you ), so why can't we?

Noteworthy Home-and-Homes Nation-Wide

This is as good as spot as any to keep tabs on noteworthy home & homes (on home courts) confirmed by the release of a non-conference schedule. Kansas and Texas have released their non-conference schedules.

2015-16 Noteworthy Home & Home Matchups
Dec. 12: North Carolina @ Texas
Dec. 19: Texas @ Stanford
Dec. 22: Kansas @ San Diego State
Dec. 29: Connecticut @ Texas

SS,

Any high major would have very little to gain in scheduling a home and home with Minnesota other than a potential loss to a mid to low level B1G Ten team. Complex situation this scheduling thing.

Don't disagree with your sentiments, however, as a consumer of Minnesota basketball. Other teams seem to be able to navigate this problem, or at least you claim they do (I don't do the research, I rely upon those that do, you ), so why can't we?

I agree scheduling is much more complex than either of us will ever know. I understand and accept that, but I don't think that excuses the Gophers' recent scheduling history under Tubby and Richard; it speaks for itself. My counterpoint to your statement that "any high major would have very little to gain in scheduling a home-and-home with Minnesota other than a potential loss to a mid- to low-level Big Ten team"?

Alabama? Auburn? Kansas State? Mississippi State? Ole Miss? Oregon State? Providence? Seton Hall? South Carolina? Vanderbilt? Washington? Washington State? That's 12 major-conference teams off the top of my head who would have something to gain and little (if anything) to lose scheduling a home-and-home with Minnesota.

My line of thinking goes the other way. The Gophers should be almost the perfect opponent for a similar ilk program to schedule. ... they're almost always a solid opponent (in the RPI top 100) so it's a decent win if you beat them, but if you lose to 'em it's not a bad loss. Georgia lost to the Gophers last season (albeit at a neutral site) but survived that loss and still earned an at-large bid despite the fact the Gophers were nowhere near a NCAA caliber opponent.

From Amelia-

Per two sources, Villanova's Ryan Livingston will be Minnesota's new director of basketball operations. Expected to be announced today.

SS- not an excuse by any means, but do you think the scheduling was made harder this year due to Nate P having two jobs essentially? Basketball ops and assistant coach? Or maybe part of the reason there has been a delay in accomplishing anything yet.

From Amelia-

Per two sources, Villanova's Ryan Livingston will be Minnesota's new director of basketball operations. Expected to be announced today.

SS- not an excuse by any means, but do you think the scheduling was made harder this year due to Nate P having two jobs essentially? Basketball ops and assistant coach? Or maybe part of the reason there has been a delay in accomplishing anything yet.

No to the first question, perhaps to the second question. There's always an excuse for anything if people want to find one.

The Cancun Challenge released their game schedule. Maryland's home game with Rider is part of the tournament and the date of it is now Nov. 20. They will now host Cleveland State on the 28th.

Updated Noteworthy Home & Homes

This is as good as spot as any to keep tabs on noteworthy home & homes (on home courts) confirmed by the release of a non-conference schedule. Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, and Texas have released their non-conference schedules.

Dec. 3: Kentucky @ UCLA
Dec. 5: Arizona @ Gonzaga
Dec. 12: Arizona State @ Kentucky
Dec. 13: Missouri @ Arizona
Dec. 19: UNLV @ Arizona
Dec. 26: Louisville @ Kentucky

Noteworthy Home & Homes (Memphis releases non-conference schedule)

This is as good as spot as any to keep tabs on noteworthy home & homes (on home courts) confirmed by the release of a non-conference schedule. Memphis released its schedule today.

Nov. 17: Oklahoma @ Memphis
Dec. 2: Arizona State @ Creighton
Dec. 5: Texas A&M @ Arizona State
Dec. 16: Arizona State @ UNLV
Dec. 18/19: Ole Miss @ Memphis
Dec. 30: West Virginia @ Virginia Tech
Jan. 2: Memphis @ South Carolina

Power 6/Other Notable Non-Conference Schedules Released
Arizona (Pac 12), Arizona State (Pac 12), Kansas (Big XII), Kentucky (SEC), Memphis (AAC), Texas (Big XII), West Virginia (Big XII)

Updated Home & Homes (Xavier to play 4)

Xavier's non-conference schedule is complete. Musketeers have 4 notable home & homes (Auburn, Cincinnati, Missouri, Wake Forest) on their slate.

2015-16 Power 6/Noteworthy Home & Homes
Nov. 17: Missouri @ Xavier
Dec. 12: Cincinnati @ Xavier
Dec. 19: Auburn @ Xavier
Dec. 22: Xavier @ Wake Forest

Power 6/Other Notable Non-Conference Schedules Released
Arizona (Pac 12), Arizona State (Pac 12), Kansas (Big XII), Kentucky (SEC), Memphis (AAC), Texas (Big XII), West Virginia (Big XII), Xavier (Big East)

Northwestern will host Columbia on Nov. 20 as part of CBE Hall of Fame Classic, per Jon Rothstein.

Updated Home & Homes (VCU releases NC sked)

VCU will play in 2 notable home & homes, vs. Georgia Tech and Cincinnati.

2015-16 Power 6/Noteworthy Home & Homes
Nov. 17: Missouri @ Xavier
Dec. 12: Cincinnati @ Xavier
Dec. 15: VCU @ Georgia Tech
Dec. 19: Auburn @ Xavier
Dec. 19: Cincinnati @ VCU
Dec. 22: Xavier @ Wake Forest

Power 6/Other Notable Non-Con Schedules Released
Arizona (Pac 12), Arizona State (Pac 12), Kansas (Big XII), Kentucky (SEC), Memphis (AAC), Texas (Big XII), VCU (Atlantic 10), West Virginia (Big XII), Xavier (Big East)

Predict the Gophers will host Missouri State in a non-bracketed game of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, meaning they'd be on opposite side of the tournament bracket to decrease the chances they'd meet a 2nd time.

The Skinny on The OSU Non-Conference Schedule

Final 2014-15 RPI listed in parentheses.

OHIO STATE
Nov. 15: MOUNT SAINT MARY'S (188)
Nov. 17: GRAMBLING (351)
Nov. 20: TEXAS ARLINGTON (185)
Nov. 24: LOUISIANA TECH (58)
Nov. 27: vs. Memphis (83)
Dec. 1: VIRGINIA (7)
Dec. 5: VMI (287)
Dec. 8: AIR FORCE (240)
Dec. 12: @ Connecticut (77)
Dec. 16: NORTHERN ILLINOIS (186)
Dec. 19: vs. Kentucky (1)
Dec. 22: MERCER (212)
Dec. 27: SOUTH CAROLINA STATE (320)

Home/Road/Neutral Split: 10/1/2
Top 50 Opponents (2): Kentucky, Virginia
NCAA Qualifiers (2): Kentucky (Final 4), Virginia (Round of 32)
NIT Qualifiers (2): Louisiana Tech (quarterfinals), Connecticut (1st round)
Average RPI of Opponents: 168.846

2 Cents: Thad Matta likes loading up on home games, and 2015-16 will be no different. The Buckeyes again will play in an exempt round-robin MTE guaranteeing three games in Columbus, as opposed to playing in a 4- or 8-team bracketed tournament. Would like to see at least one more quality opponent, but hard to find fault with a slate guaranteed to include Kentucky, Virginia, and Connecticut.

Final 2014-15 RPI listed in parentheses.

OHIO STATE
Nov. 15: MOUNT SAINT MARY'S (188)
Nov. 17-25: GRAMBLING (351)
Nov. 17-25: LOUISIANA TECH (58)
Nov. 17-25: TEXAS ARLINGTON (185)
Nov. 27: vs. Memphis (83)
Dec. 1: VIRGINIA (7)
Dec. 5/6: VMI (287)
Dec. 8: AIR FORCE (240)
Dec. 12: @ Connecticut (77)
Dec. 16: NORTHERN ILLINOIS (186)
Dec. 19: vs. Kentucky (1)
Dec. 22: MERCER (212)
Dec. 27: SOUTH CAROLINA STATE (320)

Home/Road/Neutral Split: 10/1/2
Top 50 Opponents (2): Kentucky, Virginia
NCAA Qualifiers (2): Kentucky (Final 4), Virginia (Round of 32)
NIT Qualifiers (2): Louisiana Tech (quarterfinals), Connecticut (1st round)
Average RPI of Opponents: 168.846

2 Cents: Thad Matta likes loading up on home games, and 2015-16 will be no different. The Buckeyes again will play in an exempt round-robin MTE that guarantees three games in Columbus, as opposed to playing in a 4- or 8-team bracketed tournament. Would like to see at least one more quality opponent, but hard to find fault with a slate guaranteed to include Kentucky, Virginia, and Connecticut.

Just a thought-

The fundamentals of how OSU schedules home games appear not really far off from ours. They get the tourney game with Memphis (I assume that's what this is) and the ACC game with Virginia. I don't know the details of the UConn and Kentucky games but my assumption is that these are made possible by TV deals because OSU is a big name team. I think our scheduling is more about money than about being afraid to compete.

Top Bottom