Where does Thomas Barber play?

beat bucky

Banned
Reaction score
Having seen a little of Thomas Barber myself, I know he's got talent. I'm just wondering where he might fit in the Gophers' scheme? He's doesn't have the speed or lateral movement of a typical Claeys LB, he's well undersized at 6'1" 225 for a defensive lineman, and he seems to be behind Thomas and maybe Beebe at the FB spot.
If he's as good of a football player as the rest of his family, how will Kill get him on the field?

He's doesn't have the speed or lateral movement of a typical Claeys LB, he's well undersized at 6'1" 225 for a defensive lineman, and he seems to be behind Thomas and maybe Beebe at the FB spot.

1. What is typical Claeys? Did you look back over 3 or 15 years?
2. You're putting a Junior in HS behind guys signed or on the team at FB.

They see him playing if they offered him.

There's a lot of young mike LB's on this roster. Poock, Lynn, Laster, Waters?

I have yet to see Laster play MLB so lets substitute him for Everett Williams. During the 2016 season (Barber's first year on campus and probable RS season), Lynn will be a RS Senior, Poock a RS Junior, Everett Williams will be a Junior and Waters will be a RS Freshman. I dont see the issue you're alluding to.

I start him at RB and go form there. It worked in the past.

MLB. Size/Speed wise his HS film looks pretty similar to Williams and Waters the last 2 MLB's he's recruited. Think its pretty clear he's a future MLB. Maaayyyybe he could be a FB as well

Waters is the only true MLB of that group. The other guys can player either middle or OLB and as cjcarter8 pointed out Laster isn't an MLB, Williams and Nick Ralis as well are but can also play outside. This isn't really even a controversial recruit. Barber will absolutely play MLB and most likely only MLB as a gopher. I do however agree with you that he is lacking speed and lateral quickness but his instincts make up for it.

It's a good idea to recruit a MLB/ILB in every class. When Barber is a true freshman, the depth would look like this:

Lynn - Sr.
Poock - Jr.
Laster - Jr.
Waters - Soph or RFreshman

Like another person mentioned, Laster has never played MLB, and Lynn and Poock both might be better at playing on the outside. Everett Williams would be a junior when Barber is a true freshman. We have just the right amount of depth, although the staff would have taken another OLB in last year's class.

For Barber, it really depends upon how he grows the next couple of years. He is a 6'1" 225 lbs JR in HS.

Three years from now, he could easily be 6'3" 270 (DE) or he could b 6'1" 245 (MLB). He is a big kid who will have position versatility.

Personally, I think he'll outgrow the MLB position.

For Barber, it really depends upon how he grows the next couple of years. He is a 6'1" 225 lbs JR in HS.

Three years from now, he could easily be 6'3" 270 (DE) or he could b 6'1" 245 (MLB). He is a big kid who will have position versatility.

Not to worry. Kill's system is good at player development. They'll get it all figured out.

He'll flourish under the strength & conditioning program. Expect his speed to also improve while he waits his turn.

Three years into the program is about right, where you will really see the fruits of all the hard work that he'd put into the system.

U of M: Barber factory.

Send us your Barbers!

:drink:

I agree with highwayman and Dr.Don. This is still the best response. We're talking along ways out as to our needs and his development.

Or we can just settle it right here and now. Wasn't much of a debate nor should it have been in the first place.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This could be what happens. I watched his dad Marion play in Memorial Stadium and met him a few years ago and saw him again last year. He is a big man at least 6'3" and I believe played tight end in the NFL. If Thomas grows to his Dad's height he could play d line as he is already as thick as his old man was as a Gopher freshman. I see him more as a linebacker though. I have no doubts Thomas will be a very good Gopher. He will be the fourth Barber I have watched play in maroon and gold. They just have what it takes to play Big Ten football with a good chance at succeeding in the NFL.

Marion Barber Jr. was drafted by the New York Jets and was a running back in the NFL for about 6 years. He of course scored the TD against number 1 Michigan to go along with 3 field goals from 41, 37, and 32 yards by Paul Rogind.

Marion Barber Jr. was drafted by the New York Jets and was a running back in the NFL for about 6 years. He of course scored the TD against number 1 Michigan to go along with 3 field goals from 41, 37, and 32 yards by Paul Rogind.

Yes! I was at that game, sitting in the closed end of Memorial Stadium. It was a spectacular game and I remember Marion scoring that TD. He was a young freshman at the time I think he had just turned 18 years old. I stand corrected on the position he played with the Jets. RB it is.

I also recall him going beast-like on a few Wisconsin defenders that year to score a late touchdown. He was a long, 6"3" running back.

Hard to tell what type of player Barber will grow into. We're talking about a HS kid. In two or three years, working under a strength and conditioning program, he is likely going to be a little heavier, a lot stronger, and may even have improved his quickness. It's not unusual for kids to improve their 40 time or lateral movement after working in a more specialized strength program, with exercises for specific position groups.

As others have said, if he's like the other Barbers, he's going to work hard and have a great attitude. The coaches will put him in a position where he can make the biggest contribution to the team.

To those 2017ers...its just fun to speculate, that's all. Thomas looks like he runs about a 4.9 40. That's not gonna run down many skill players in the BIG, especially on the outside. And at 6'1" or 6'2", I'm going to agree with those who think ILB might be his spot.

To those 2017ers...its just fun to speculate, that's all. Thomas looks like he runs about a 4.7 40. That's not gonna run down many skill players in the BIG, especially on the outside. And at 6'1" or 6'2", I'm going to agree with those who think ILB might be his spot.

Unless you can prove that the 4.7 40 was electronic timed, it is idle gibberish. :cool02:

To those 2017ers...its just fun to speculate, that's all. Thomas looks like he runs about a 4.7 40. That's not gonna run down many skill players in the BIG, especially on the outside. And at 6'1" or 6'2", I'm going to agree with those who think ILB might be his spot.

If he runs a legit 4.7 40 he's one of the fastest HS kids in the country and would be the 8th fastest LB in this years combine (Wilson ran a 4.7). Realistically he's probably a 5 flat guy right now and could work his way into being a 4.8 guy in the future

If he runs a legit 4.7 40 he's one of the fastest HS kids in the country and would be the 8th fastest LB in this years combine (Wilson ran a 4.7). Realistically he's probably a 5 flat guy right now and could work his way into being a 4.8 guy in the future
We have watched these guys recruit for four years. They never knowingly waste a scholarship, certainly not at this time of the year no matter who the kids parents are. If you watch the tape he does not look fast, but when you really watch him closely, he gets to the football quickly when he makes a decision. He is a brick, and he will probably grow some more.
The only real MLBs on the current team are the two kids from Texas we have gotten in the last two classes. Poock and Lynn are natural OLBs who may have to play MLB. Williams started for a reason against Iowa, they wanted someone there every time when the Iowa tailback got the ball.
I think the fact of the matter is that with the diverse offenses in the BigTen, the kid who is the right MLB to play against Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin, may not be the right MLB against OSU, Indiana, NWU, and Illinois.

Did Damien Wilson come off for nickel and dime packages or was he an every down linebacker? I'm recalling that Claeys left him in most plays, figuring he could handle pass coverage. I'd think they would expect Barber, if he plays MLB, to be able to do the same.
And, btw, there's 18 LBs and DE's that ran faster than a 4.7 40 just in the NFL combine (not including draftees with a secured high draft position not attending), even more on recruits page of Gopher Illustrated (not including a lot of previously committed players). So if Thomas is a 4.8 as you say, that's pretty average speed for a front seven guy.
And we all have heard how Kill is emphasizing speed, right.

Top Bottom