U of Illinois to create new tailgating area, coordinate individual tailgate parties

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I found this today, and found it pretty interesting, considering there is a firm belief among some that not only does the U of M not go out of their way to increase the level of pre- and post-game tailgating, but also to do what they can to discourage it. Looks pretty cool...I am especially impressed that the university is going to coordinate parties for people, which is towards the end of the article...

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032315aaa.html

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - The University of Illinois is excited to introduce plans that would transform what is currently Lot 36 on the west side of Memorial Stadium into a park setting that will be prime tailgating locations during Fighting Illini football game days.

"The Lot 36 area, inclusive of the Red Grange statue on the west side of Memorial Stadium, has seen a variety of uses throughout the 90-plus years the venue has been in existence," said Director of Athletics Mike Thomas. "Fans who remember coming in for Tailgreat will be excited that this type of atmosphere will be returning along with some new wrinkles that we are finalizing in preparation for the 2015 home season.

"This park setting will be open for use throughout the year for a variety of activities and outdoor events. On Fighting Illini game days, this area will be the place to be, as we'll showcase first-come, first-served tailgating opportunities to any group who would like to be right next to the stadium. Fans will be able to bring in their own food and drinks into this area and the result will be a great party. Our priority is creating energy around the stadium that will then move inside as the Orange and Blue need us all, loud and proud, prepared to be an intimidating force inside Memorial Stadium."

Fans will be able to reserve space in Lot 36 beginning March 30, and will be available in the days leading up to each game on a first-come, first-serve basis.

The first event in the new area will be Friday, Sept. 4, when the Fighting Illini open the 2015 football season against Kent State with an 8 pm start time.

Customized tailgate parties, which include tents and tickets, can be coordinated by calling Scott Friedman at 217-244-3212. Prices will range from $300 - $2,000.

I found this today, and found it pretty interesting, considering there is a firm belief among some that not only does the U of M not go out of their way to increase the level of pre- and post-game tailgating, but also to do what they can to discourage it. Looks pretty cool...I am especially impressed that the university is going to coordinate parties for people, which is towards the end of the article...

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - The University of Illinois is excited to introduce plans that would transform what is currently Lot 36 on the west side of Memorial Stadium into a park setting that will be prime tailgating locations during Fighting Illini football game days.

"The Lot 36 area, inclusive of the Red Grange statue on the west side of Memorial Stadium, has seen a variety of uses throughout the 90-plus years the venue has been in existence," said Director of Athletics Mike Thomas. "Fans who remember coming in for Tailgreat will be excited that this type of atmosphere will be returning along with some new wrinkles that we are finalizing in preparation for the 2015 home season.

"This park setting will be open for use throughout the year for a variety of activities and outdoor events. On Fighting Illini game days, this area will be the place to be, as we'll showcase first-come, first-served tailgating opportunities to any group who would like to be right next to the stadium. Fans will be able to bring in their own food and drinks into this area and the result will be a great party. Our priority is creating energy around the stadium that will then move inside as the Orange and Blue need us all, loud and proud, prepared to be an intimidating force inside Memorial Stadium."

Fans will be able to reserve space in Lot 36 beginning March 30, and will be available in the days leading up to each game on a first-come, first-serve basis.

The first event in the new area will be Friday, Sept. 4, when the Fighting Illini open the 2015 football season against Kent State with an 8 pm start time.

Customized tailgate parties, which include tents and tickets, can be coordinated by calling Scott Friedman at 217-244-3212. Prices will range from $300 - $2,000.

Don't get me started, I don't have the energy to soapbox again through another tailgating thread. The U doesn't prioritize game day atmosphere and likely never will, therefore this type of setup will never happen for us.

Don't get me started, I don't have the energy to soapbox again through another tailgating thread. The U doesn't prioritize game day atmosphere and likely never will, therefore this type of setup will never happen for us.

I don't think our fanbase would pay $300-$2000 for customized parties. So it's best for the U to leave this idea to Illinois. For $2000 I can get a spot and set up how I want.

I remember when Teague first got here he said one of the major priorities he had was to change up the game day atmosphere at the U. He said he was going to study tailgate festivities at other schools and bring new elements to Minnesota.

We're still waiting. Maybe he is still studying this.

I don't think our fanbase would pay $300-$2000 for customized parties. So it's best for the U to leave this idea to Illinois. For $2000 I can get a spot and set up how I want.
The casual fan, no way. But for corporate groups, I could see this as a very viable option.

IDK- every home game in Lot 37 is great!

we have a great time in lot 37. the U provides the portajohns...we provide the party. no complaints here.

The customized parties include tickets to the game, so they aren't for season ticket holders.

we have a great time in lot 37. the U provides the portajohns...we provide the party. no complaints here.

We're at the fairgrounds. We're content in what we have. Spend the money on facilities etc.

I remember when Teague first got here he said one of the major priorities he had was to change up the game day atmosphere at the U. He said he was going to study tailgate festivities at other schools and bring new elements to Minnesota.

We're still waiting. Maybe he is still studying this.

I think Woody had to hire a consulting firm to do a study, to help him figure out a plan to improve game-day atmosphere............

If the U actively promoted fraternity tailgates instead of discouraged them, fraternity row would be a great place to tailgate

This so called park setting is a gravel parking lot. When I was at the game last fall the atmosphere was pretty disappointing. Most of the fans cheer for the band and not the team. But considering how bad they have been this is understandable. Good luck to them though as Champaign is out in the middle of nowhere.

This so called park setting is a gravel parking lot. When I was at the game last fall the atmosphere was pretty disappointing. Most of the fans cheer for the band and not the team. But considering how bad they have been this is understandable. Good luck to them though as Champaign is out in the middle of nowhere.

I was at the game last year as well and the fans were in a state of mutiny against Coach Beckman. The situation was very Brewster like, and I was feeling sort of guilty when I started to think we were going to steal a win after the Gophers played like garbage the whole game.

The rare Cobb fumble changed everything and Illinois won, which did not seem to make the locals that happy as they were already planning for Beckman's firing.

My impression of Champaign Urbana and Memorial Stadium was that when the sun is out on a football Saturday, the environment is spectacular. Memorial Stadium is the best preserved, unique and large historical 1920's stadium I have ever seen. This stadium has a lot of architectural flourish and is not built deep into the ground. The interior design, and crowd moving design is extremely forward thinking for the 1920s.

Also, the UI Band is the best I have witnessed in person in the Big Ten, and the sightlines at Memorial Stadium are great, even thought the East Side, under the balcony areas are very dark and dreary, although with good sightlines.

The open area on the West side will get a lot of sun and should be a great place to hang out and group tailgate. I found walking out to the open area where the columns are, 40 feet above the field to be one of the best Stadium experiences I have ever had. There was a lot to like in CU last year other than the Gophers pissing the game away. I suppose on a rainy, dark or very cold day it could be quite miserable in CU, though. I'd still take it over the Metrodome for sure.

After TCF, Illinois Memorial Stadium is the second best stadium in the Big Ten I have been to, and I have been to most. It was way better than Camp Randall and the hole in the ground in Iowa City.

Point of emphasis: This is not about fan engagement and frenzy, but about the physical stadium and surrounding environment.

I intend to return to Champaign Urbana for the 2016 game, although I will admit the drive there is very boring and the hotel options in the town are on par or below what you can find in Mankato.

I was at the game last year as well and the fans were in a state of mutiny against Coach Beckman. The situation was very Brewster like, and I was feeling sort of guilty when I started to think we were going to steal a win after the Gophers played like garbage the whole game.

The rare Cobb fumble changed everything and Illinois won, which did not seem to make the locals that happy as they were already planning for Beckman's firing.

My impression of Champaign Urbana and Memorial Stadium was that when the sun is out on a football Saturday, the environment is spectacular. Memorial Stadium is the best preserved, unique and large historical 1920's stadium I have ever seen. This stadium has a lot of architectural flourish and is not built deep into the ground. The interior design, and crowd moving design is extremely forward thinking for the 1920s.

Also, the UI Band is the best I have witnessed in person in the Big Ten, and the sightlines at Memorial Stadium are great, even thought the East Side, under the balcony areas are very dark and dreary, although with good sightlines.

The open area on the West side will get a lot of sun and should be a great place to hang out and group tailgate. I found walking out to the open area where the columns are, 40 feet above the field to be one of the best Stadium experiences I have ever had. There was a lot to like in CU last year other than the Gophers pissing the game away. I suppose on a rainy, dark or very cold day it could be quite miserable in CU, though. I'd still take it over the Metrodome for sure.

After TCF, Illinois Memorial Stadium is the second best stadium in the Big Ten I have been to, and I have been to most. It was way better than Camp Randall and the hole in the ground in Iowa City.

Point of emphasis: This is not about fan engagement and frenzy, but about the physical stadium and surrounding environment.

I intend to return to Champaign Urbana for the 2016 game, although I will admit the drive there is very boring and the hotel options in the town are on par or below what you can find in Mankato.

Good luck, I don't think I will ever go back to that city. I don't have a problem with the stadium but the area around it is a dump. You would think with a historic stadium they would keep up the surrounding area. Campustown is a joke compared to Dinkytown. I was thinking of going to West Lafayette next year but people have told me it is even worse than Champaign. I will stick with going to Northwestern next year. Ryan Field is a dump but at least you are in Chicago and not out in the middle of nowhere. You don't realize how well we have it here in Minneapolis. It is interesting to hear different viewpoints when people visit the same place. I thought that band was terrible.

Top Bottom