Q&A: Jamil Jackson Helps Rebuild Minneapolis North Basketball, Updates Recruitment

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jamil Jackson Helps Rebuild Minneapolis North Basketball, Updates Recruitment

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/494793?referrer_id=388419

Jamil Jackson, a 6-foot-6 junior from Minneapolis (MN) North, is one of the state's top athletes.

Jackson averaged 13.6 points per game for the Polars. He scored in double figures in 19 of 25 games with a season-best 41 points against Johnson.

Jackon averaged 15.3 points per game as a sophomore as he helped lead the Polars to a 19-11 mark, losing to Marantha 67-65 in the Section 4A finals. He scored in double figures in 25 of 30 games with seven games of twenty or more points, including a season-best 28 points versus Minneapolis Roosevelt.

Jackson, who attended the Minnesota home basketball games versus Illinois and Penn State last season and Southern University this year, recently caught up Jackson with Gopher Hole to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is still early in your recruitment, but what schools are you starting to hear from?

Jamil Jackson: I am starting to hear from the University of North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota , NDSU and Drake.

Gopher Hole: You have gone to the Gopher games as a visitor. What was that experience like?

Jamil Jackson: It was nice. It was a nice experience. Got some good seats. Got to experience the game close up. Got to meet some of the players.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Jamil Jackson: I went to the Gopher game versus Southern University. They are saying that they are interested. They just want to see a little bit more before they are start thinking about an offer.

Gopher Hole: North is a young team that is continuing to get better. What is the thought on the team so far this season?

Jamil Jackson: We are a very young team. We need more experience to build our chemistry a little bit more and then I think that we will be fine.

Gopher Hole: What about your own individual play?

Jamil Jackson: My shot has been a little off. I have been trying to get in the gym and fix that, but other than that I think that I have been playing better defense this year and playing more team basketball.

Gopher Hole: Are you playing any other sports anymore at North?

Jamil Jackson: No. Not as of right now.

Gopher Hole: What is it that has always driven you towards basketball?

Jamil Jackson: Just the atmosphere. I have grown up around the sport.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any relatives that play basketball?

Jamil Jackson: My whole family. My dad's side played basketball. My brothers. My dad played basketball. My grandpa coached. I just grew up around it my whole life.

Gopher Hole: Anyone play college basketball?

Jamil Jackson: Mostly just high school.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play Division I basketball?

Jamil Jackson: It would be nice. It would be nice experience. I'm sure that my family would be really proud of me and I think it would be fun. A great experience for me.

Gopher Hole: How much do you think that experience of playing AAU has helped you as a player?

Jamil Jackson: A lot, because it is a lot faster pace and you have got to play defense and there is much better players and you get to play against some people that are going D1 for sure and experience how they play and what they do.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have the chance to play for the homestate school?

Jamil Jackson: I would enjoy it a lot. I would like it. I feel that it would be a great experience just to be able to play at home, where I grew up and the team I grew up watching and rooted for. It would be a dream.

Top Bottom