Rick Pitino on what he told Richard about difficult year at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus and Louisville Courier Journal:

Here’s what Rick Pitino said about the Gophers at an NCAA tournament press conference March 21 (per Louisville Courier Journal):

“Well, he pretty much had the same record close to as he did the first year. I gave him a lecture, which he doesn’t always agree with me, I said, ‘Richard, I don’t know why you haven’t had for two years an all-conference player, first, second or third team in the Big Ten. So I’m not sure why you’re putting so much pressure on yourself thinking you should be in the tournament. I said, ‘We had two all-ACC second team players this year. You don’t have one on the third team. So why aren’t you like the rest of us in this world that have to build the right way by recruiting guys who can make All-Big Ten.’”

“‘So, if you went to Minnesota, thinking this is a quick turn around; the school probably has only been in nine (actually 12) NCAA tournaments if they got released of a few, in the history of the school.’ So that’s what I tried to do, build him up a little bit but to get him to understand that it really is — you’re only as good as your players and if you don’t have a first, second or third team All-Big Ten, you’re probably not going to compete. Same thing in the Big East, same thing in the SEC. There are some teams that can surprise you and have teams get great runs, win close games. When I was at Providence I’ll never forget this as long as I live, I lost six, six games within two seconds. My first year. And I said to the guys back then, because I was a day dreamer, ‘you just wait until next year, we’re going to win all these close games.’ And the following year, we won seven with one second to go on the clock. So, it does turn.

But we started getting all Big East players, Billy the kid became a first team All-Big East player. And you know we lost one game where Walter the ball was thrown to Walter Berry, we had a foul to give and he dropped the ball as we went to foul him and as he picked it up he just threw it from about 15 feet above the top of the key and they called the foul on the shot. And that’s okay, I said, no problem, he’s a 58, 59 percent free throw shooter. He makes them both and we lose in overtime. So, you remember all those tough losses, but then the following year it comes back.

Once you get better players, you win those games. So, there are a lot of teams and I talked with the Louisville media today and I said to them, you watch, everybody’s second guessing UCLA, they’re going to go to the Sweet 16. And sure enough, it happens every year, the one team that everybody picks out doesn’t belong, goes to the Sweet 16. So that’s what makes this thing so great. It’s you really can’t — with the exception of a Kentucky or a Wisconsin this year or maybe even a Duke, very, very tough to say who is going to advance. You don’t know. That’s what makes it so much fun.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...with-louisville-before-win-to-reach-sweet-16/

Go Gophers!!

On a semi-related note I heard Rick P was talking about how when he was young he was always thinking - next job, next job and he said it was refreshing to see guys trying to build programs and being content where they are. I think he was talking about Ben Jacobsen. Anyway- I hope he is advising son Richard that the real beauty is in building something from the ground and making it be great and making it last. I would love to see someone take that approach here and hope it is Richard.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

NO Way Hollins this year.

Agree. But Mathieu last year - yes, should have been 3rd team. Which actually validates what Rick is saying, when you consider that they came closer to making the field last year than they did this - no matter how much some reporter wants to use his bullhorn to claim the sky isn't blue.

Agree. But Mathieu last year - yes, should have been 3rd team. Which actually validates what Rick is saying, when you consider that they came closer to making the field last year than they did this - no matter how much some reporter wants to use his bullhorn to claim the sky isn't blue.

Probably. I guess I'm not really sure on that.

Can't disagree with Fuller. Having seen them all play before, most of us really liked our chances of not just qualifying for the NCAA, but possibly going on a run with EE, Big Mo, Hollins, and Mathieu as seniors. I don't recall anyone (even the most pessimistic sandbagger among us) saying "I don't think this year's team has enough talent to make the NCAA or NIT this year".

a different way of looking at it:
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wis...11/5653372/all-big-ten-teams-by-class-2014-15

yeah, i know it's wisconsin, but i found it a very interesting read. For those of you that see a lot of Bigten games, curious if you would agree with the Class first and second teams. a lot of Purdue on them

I think this guy did a pretty good job of rating the conference's best by class. A Minnesota fan may have a harder time placing Andre Hollins on the all senior second team, but a person looking at the conference as a whole could justify it based on his reasonably good scoring stats and overall career. Mo did deserve second team all senior and Mason deserved second team all freshman.

I thought the Purdue picks, with the exception of Kendall Stephens as a first team soph (second team OK), were right on. I think Diamonte Dodd or Gavin Schilling deserved second team over Jok.

Go Gophers!!

Ok, I agree. The Gophers were good enough and deserving of making the tournament last year. Based on their RPI at the end of last season, they should have been included and if you add the run they made in the NIT they should have been included in the Big Dance - the selection committee....

This year, seniors didn't get it done - a lot of missed free throws and critical shots at the end of games by the players - it wasn't the offense, players were open, individual defense was suspect for several players which also didn't help. This year team didn't deserve to be in the dance and accolades for individaul gopher players was justifiably in short supply. Question for Mr. Fuller, "who was the NIT MVP last year?" On to next year and building w/ better athletes.

Ok, I agree. The Gophers were good enough and deserving of making the tournament last year. Based on their RPI at the end of last season, they should have been included and if you add the run they made in the NIT they should have been included in the Big Dance - the selection committee....

I disagree. They had a losing record in the conference, they were throttled by NIT team Arkansas, and their best non-conference win was NIT team Florida State at home. Their Big Ten tournament games consisted of beating PSU for the third time and getting demolished by Wisconsin afterward. Speaking of Florida State, that team, Clemson, and California also made NIT runs last year and none of them were selected for the top two postseason tournaments either.

I think it is time Rick Pitino shut up and let his son handle things. Yes, Rick is the main reason Richard got the job but he will sink or swim on his own.

I wonder what Tim Miles' dad thinks about Nebraska's season.

I think it is time Rick Pitino shut up and let his son handle things. Yes, Rick is the main reason Richard got the job but he will sink or swim on his own.

I see your point, but is Tim Miles' dad a highly respected hall-of-fame college basketball coach? Rich is on-the-record for saying he seeks his father's advice daily (he hasn't described it as being forced upon him). I think a look into that interaction can be interesting.

On one hand I get what Marcus is saying, but on the other hand all you have to do is look at our season this past year for evidence to the contrary. Andre had a great career as a Gopher, Mo had a good season, but in the end they didn't get it done when they needed to as seniors (and Deandre took a bit of step back from last year). As far as the younger guys go, Pitino has not landed that instantly impactful recruit on the level of Russell or Trimble in the Big 10 this year. Hopefully he does, because that is what this team has been missing for a really long time, a player that can single handedly take over the offensive side of a game on a consistent basis. The freshman this year, especially Mason, look like they might be (or already are in Mason's case) solid Big 10 players.

Problem is, having a single guy with a borderline 3rd team all-conference season once a year isn't enough in the Big Ten. Rick Pitino is right, you need a number of players having solid all-conference type seasons for the program to ascend and we're not close to that yet.

Problem is, having a single guy with a borderline 3rd team all-conference season once a year isn't enough in the Big Ten. Rick Pitino is right, you need a number of players having solid all-conference type seasons for the program to ascend and we're not close to that yet.

True. However, unfair as this may be to our young coach, there are more than half a dozen coaches in the B1G who could have coached this roster into the Dance. (Izzo, Matta, Bo, Collins, Boehlein, Turgeon, Miles, Painter, maybe Crean) Richard will be a very good coach and may even win a national championship or two, but he's still raw.

The true quality of any team and any player is about 50-75% of what most message board posters believe.

I thought the Gophers would be a bubble team this year.......fell a little short.

True. However, unfair as this may be to our young coach, there are more than half a dozen coaches in the B1G who could have coached this roster into the Dance. (Izzo, Matta, Bo, Collins, Boehlein, Turgeon, Miles, Painter, maybe Crean) Richard will be a very good coach and may even win a national championship or two, but he's still raw.

A good number of those coaches have not fared well when the talent was not there. There are 100 coaches that could have gotten this team to the NCAAs and those same 100 could have missed it with this same roster in place. Pitino is one of both groups of 100. Are Beilein, Izzo and Bo better coaches when given the same talent at this stage than Pitino? Absolutely.

Certainly could have/should have been in the dance this year with this group and had a winning record in this version of the B1G. I totally disagree with Marcus on Andre Hollins, he didn't perform like a player who deserved 3rd team all conference. He failed to shoot 30% in any of the Gophers first 5 conference games and in his last 7 games as a Gopher (including the two B1G tourney games) he had one performance (MSU) that was indicative of a player that should get All Conference consideration.

As bad as this past season was, Pitino's first year was full of promise and I am excited to see him coach his own guys over the next couple of years.

The thing is right now you know that the 3 coaches you mentioned are all top 15 coaches. It is unknown if RICHARD Pitino is top 100. He needs life 's greatest commodity:time. Recruiting is really,really tough. You have to build relationships, have success before there is any buzz about your school. Most likely he will need a freshman class that he can lose with initially. This is a thick skinned kid that buys in all the way and by the time they are in the 3rd year they can win. Minnesota is forced into this because of what was left for Pitino. Bo Ryan is a tremendous coach but he was handed a pipeline of Mike Wilkinson, Devin HARRIS, Kirk penney and Alando Tucker because Tony Bennett was retained on staff and had the relationships with those great players. Pitino is just getting to meet coaches, players and parents. give him time. By year 4 you will all have a very good idea how he is doing.

Because the media asking Rick Pitino about his son and Rick not answering the questions would go over well also.

Because the media asking Rick Pitino about his son and Rick not answering the questions would go over well also.

I dunno. Would it really be hard considering it is a press conference for Louisville-Northern Iowa at the NCAA tournament? Even if asked a question about Minnesota, he could say "I think Richard is doing a good job but I am here to talk about Louisville".

Bottom line. This team needs some stud upper classmen, and we won't have that for another couple of years.

Don't need a breakthrough recruit. Don't need an "athletic big juco transfer". Need consistently good recruiting classes to matriculate through the system. Teams like ours won't win consistently any other way. Mason, Dorsey, JW, BK, Johnson and Dupree all need to become juniors and seniors and be part of the rotation because they are good and not because they are seniors and we've got no one else(last two years in a nutshell)

Awful commentary from Rick Pitino.

He does make really bad decisions from time to time (like most of us).

History shows that.

The true quality of any team and any player is about 50-75% of what most message board posters believe.

I thought the Gophers would be a bubble team this year.......fell a little short.

A little short? There was an entire consolation tournament full of teams between us and the big dance.

Top Bottom