Tom Powers: Gophers title special in meaning, special in place

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Powers:

The Golden Gophers women are NCAA hockey champs and the earth again is spinning properly on its axis and with the correct tilt toward the sun.

This is the way it should be, with the title won right here in the original Garden of Eden of women's hockey. This is where the sport took root in the U.S. 20 years ago, sprouting through the high schools and into the colleges and Olympic teams. The rest of the nation has caught up some, but this remains sacred ground.

The Gophers defeated the Harvard Crimson 4-1 on Sunday at Ridder Arena. For the seniors on the team, it was their fourth straight trip to the championship game and their third victory in the four tries.

"I don't know if the team or the players or the coaches really want to say, 'Yes, this is a dynasty,' " said Rachel Ramsey, one of four seniors. "I will say I think what we've done is incredibly special. I don't know if it will happen again."

"I don't know how you explain what's going on here," coach Brad Frost said. "But to have (four seniors) play in four national championship games in a row in their career, and then to come away with three of them, I think it just speaks volumes to our team, our program and our players.

"We are so blessed, so fortunate. I feel incredibly blessed just to be able to coach and at the University of Minnesota, let alone coach such great people."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

I've not paid all that much attention to this.

But I did see some highlights and thought "These girls can play!"

Top Bottom