Rating the 2015-16 recruiting class

beat bucky

Banned
Reaction score
In retrospect, the Gophers have come a long way this season considering what I've opined was a below average recruiting class. Of the freshmen Bristedt, Collins, Glover, Johnson, Hoglund and Lehr, only Bristedt and Collins have even played regularly with respectable if not game-changing results, while Glover has contributed to a lesser degree. Hardly the kind of class that will keep the Gophers up with the best in college hockey. So, does next year offer any better. Well let's rate it...
Most likely new players (given predicted roster departures).
Nick Seeler- Former EP blueliner, transfer from Omaha where he played 2 years. Solid skills that translate well to 5on5 and PP. Will bring experience and stability. Projection: Probable 4th or 5th d-man for 2 years.
Brent Gates- A 6'2" 200 big forward coming off a broken leg and a middle of the pack USHL season in scoring. A Grand Rapids legacy. Projection: likely role player with a chance to move up.
Mitch Hults- Another 6'2" 210 forward who was a late riser in the USHL but, again, not much of a scorer. Projection: roster depth player.
Tom Novak- Former MN prep star and a USHL and USA all-star. A dynamic playmaker and consistent scorer with high hockey IQ. Projection: top 6 forward, depending on departures, possibly in freshman season.
Jack Ramsey- Another big forward and former MN prep player now in BCHL. Clearly a legacy recruit. Has lacked production at upper levels and is not a typical grinder either. Projection: ceiling as third liner and that's likely helped by his name.
Darian Romanko- 6'1" forward and an all-star for Corey Millen's NAHL team. Good all around skills, a team leader and a scorer who comes with a quality recommendation. Projection: Could surprise and, by junior year, be a top scorer.
Jack Sadek?- 6'2" d-man, state prep champ, with incredible puck handling and agility skills. Fits the Gopher mold with Leddy-like potential. Projection: If he comes, after a year, he'll play his way into a top 4 blueliner.
Erik Schierhorn- 6' Alaskan goalie who has excelled on USHL and USA teams. A little on the small side but, with his eye-popping save percentages, has proved he can stop the puck. Projection: Likely the heir apparent to Wilcox.
Tyler Sheehy- Smaller forward with good blood lines. A consistent point-producer and all-star in the USHL. Also a USA team member. A smart, instinctive hockey player that will improve any roster. Projection: Possible top 6 forward and a reliable contributor.
Overall, though the Gophers lost a lot of great in-state talent, I see next year's class a slight (if not great) improvement. Expect Novak, Sheehy, Seeler, and Schierhorn to play important roles, and depending upon departures, possibly Gates and Romanko to contribute, with Sadek being a wildcard. Not sure any will make BIG Hockey all freshman team but Novak, Sheehy and Schierhorn have the best chance.

Hopefully they can prove people wrong.

Unfortunately, the Gophers will likely lose most of their scoring next year. Only Kloos (13), Cammarata (3), Bristedt (5), C Reilly (11) return from the top ten point getters, and C Reilly may be looking at ending his career after a third knee injury. So the big question is...can any of these freshmen contribute goals? Because they'll surely have to if the team is going to return to the post season.

I'm not super informed on recruiting, but I went to High School with Darian Romanko. He was a good, not great player for Mounds View. He has been doing much better in juniors, but will he get playing time next year with the gophers?

Unfortunately, the Gophers will likely lose most of their scoring next year. Only Kloos (13), Cammarata (3), Bristedt (5), C Reilly (11) return from the top ten point getters, and C Reilly may be looking at ending his career after a third knee injury. So the big question is...can any of these freshmen contribute goals? Because they'll surely have to if the team is going to return to the post season.

I know he wasn't top 10 points (not a lot of assists), but Leitteri has a nose for the net scoring 9 goals so far this year.

On Romanko, I think he'd be classified as a "late bloomer", which is probably why he's in the NAHL. But the fact that Corey Millen, a very talented former player, referred him is good enough for me.
Lettieri is a decent scorer and maybe an above average skater but guys of his ability fill every roster in the NCHC and WCHA. And that's not going to give the Gophers any competitive advantage.

Top Bottom