GopherHoles's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 3/22/15

DL65

Reaction score
Jerry Kill’s weekly segment on ‘CCOs Sports Huddle was about fifteen minutes. IMO, he sounded upbeat and excited to get the team back on the field for spring drills after having had the week off for the school’s spring break.

1) Jerry Kill confirmed Sid’s start date for the second-half of spring drills, which is Tuesday, March 24. As to the practices, Kill said, “We’ll pick things up (from the last scrimmage) . . . We’re trying to work on execution (fundamentals) . . . 11 on 11." He also said they'll have 3 or 4 more scrimmages. The scrimmage before spring break was very physical, according to Kill, and he anticipates and expects the other scrimmages will be as well.

2) Sid asked about Mitch Leidner and competition at quarterback: “Leidner is doing a nice job . . . receivers around him are doing a nice job,” answered Kill.

Kill, once again, mentioned the addition of Adam Weber to the coaching staff, as a graduate assistant, being an asset working to the quarterbacks.

As to others vying for playing time, Kill cited Jacques Perra; “Chris Streveler did a good job in the off-season; and Conor Rhoda. He also said he’s looking forward to an in-coming freshman. Although he didn’t identify the quarterback by name, Kill was referring to 6-5, 200 pound quarterback Demry Croft.

By his response to Sid’s query, Coach Kill sounded very upbeat about competition at quarterback: “Good kids . . . competitive . . . feel good about the (quarterback) situation.”

3) Sid brought up the topic of walk-ons at Minnesota that are starting and obtaining scholarships. Sid wanted to know what has led to the successful walk-on program at Minnesota: “We don’t treat them any different than the scholarship players – treat everybody alike . . . We recruit them hard . . . You reward kids in the program . . . Those kids want to be here,” replied Kill. He also said he wishes he could give the walk-ons scholarships right away; however, he’s not able to offer them tenders because of the limits in place for the number scholarship players at the FBS level.

Kill stressed the importance of having a strong walk-on program, and he cited the success that Coach Tom Osborne had at Nebraska with his legendary walk-on program.

4) Dave Mona asked about the package of plays run by opponents against the Gophers and how Coach Kill staff prepares for the packaged plays in practice: “We do some in the spring, more in the fall,” answered Kill. As an example, Kill said they studied and prepared for Iowa’s rushing attack schemes in last fall’s two-a-day practices, as well as, of course, during game week with the Hawkeyes. (The previous two years Iowa had had great success running against the Gophers.) He also said they study all teams that have had success against Minnesota: “We study them.” (A lot of film work during the off-season.)

5) Sid asked what it takes to have success in recruiting and success on the field: “Winning always helps you . . . Maxx Williams going out early (for NFL Draft) helps in recruiting . . . publicity,” replied Kill. According to Coach Kill, he expects Maxx Williams will be a high draft pick, and, as a result, the publicity of Maxx on ESPN - his efforts for the next level - keeps the Gopher program/identity in the print and electronic media.

Kill also credited the Gopher strength and conditioning program as being an important part in a team’s success on the field, “We’ve got a lot of people lifting.”

Kill credited the physical development of David Cobb as a running back to their strength and conditioning program. The success of David Cobb as a power running back also helps recruiting and shows the importance of a solid strength and conditioning program.

6) Sid mentioned the 2016 recruiting success that Minnesota has enjoyed in the state of Minnesota (Carter Coughlin, Joe Garcia, and Thomas Barber): “Can’t say much about that (unlike the sports media and recruiting services) . . . recruiting is going well,” said Kill succinctly.

7) Dave Mona raised the question that he’s frequently asked that’s related to Jeff Jones: “It’s not easy coming in having had to sit out a year without practicing,” replied Kill. Nevertheless, Coach Kill sounded very positive and impressed with Jones’ progress, “He’s very smart.” At the same time, however, he also sounded as if he wants to curtail unrealistic expectations of the true freshman running back: “A long ways to go because of his off year (from football).”

8) Sid asked Kill what worries does he have about the lack of depth issues at certain positions: Kill sounded upbeat in his response to Sid’s question. He acknowledged you’re always concerned about depth in the defensive and offensive lines; however, at the same time, he sounded positive about the defensive line because of the number of true freshmen that saw the field last year as well as players coming in this year.

Kill sounded excited when he discussed the offensive line. He sounded positive about the offensive line due to the players that are returning as well as an incoming freshmen. He mentioned, as he did last week, 2015 recruit Tyler Moore. “Tyler Moore has shown up big time,” said Kill with excitement in his voice.

Kill concluded the question saying the issue of team depth will be much better in the fall, “Good depth when season starts.”

Go Gophers!!

What? No mention of Lynn Holleran leaving? Kill is probably still too distraught to discuss it.

Thanks DL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I overslept today, DL, and you saved my bacon

Correct but unfortunately nothing else was said. Does anybody know how long it takes to heal from this type of injury?

Solid month to 2 months depending on nature /type of break.

I feel like there must be some contractual obligation for Sid to ask about walk-ons and for Kill to include Nebraska in his response...seriously, DL65 could basically 'cut and paste' at this point. Note: This is in no way an insult directed at DL65 - I appreciate him doing this every week as I live out of state, and I enjoy reading it every week.

I'm about ready to expect Tyler Johnson to make the 2 deeps. The Epping/Botticelli attitude!

I'm about ready to expect Tyler Johnson to make the 2 deeps. The Epping/Botticelli attitude!

Johnson or Moore ? I may have misunderstood but I thought Kill said Moore was cut from the sane cloth as Epping/Botticelli...there are a couple of Tyler's and Moore's on the team so I was just curious. We could have a team full of Epping/Botticelli type players and I doubt many feelings would be hurt. This is from 3/15 Sports Huddle - "Dave Mona asked if there are any players that display the on-field attitude of Zac Epping: Without hesitation, Kill said true freshman offensive lineman Tyler Moore (2015 recruit) fits the bill, “Hard-nosed, aggressive, a carbon copy of Botticelli and Epping.” There was excited laughter in Kill’s voice when describing Moore’s attitude."

Johnson or Moore ? I may have misunderstood but I thought Kill said Moore was cut from the sane cloth as Epping/Botticelli...there are a couple of Tyler's and Moore's on the team so I was just curious. We could have a team full of Epping/Botticelli type players and I doubt many feelings would be hurt. This is from 3/15 Sports Huddle - "Dave Mona asked if there are any players that display the on-field attitude of Zac Epping: Without hesitation, Kill said true freshman offensive lineman Tyler Moore (2015 recruit) fits the bill, “Hard-nosed, aggressive, a carbon copy of Botticelli and Epping.” There was excited laughter in Kill’s voice when describing Moore’s attitude."

He meant Tyler Moore. Tyler Johnson is a 2016 recruit.

I think that is the injury Zucker went out with for the Wild (might be wrong), and I heard he is out for 3 months.
Healed enough to participate in fall camp is different from being in game shape. He should be able to at least start rehabbing by the end of May.

Healed enough to participate in fall camp is different from being in game shape. He should be able to at least start rehabbing by the end of May.

Kill said "TE Brandon Lingen (broken collarbone) will need about 4-5 weeks to heal. Will miss rest of spring practice."

Top Bottom