Rochester Post Bulletin: Point guard Dorsey gives Gophers hope

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Post Bulletin:

Dorsey, who averaged 23 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals per game, likes where he's headed. It's Pitino's desire to play full-court defense and be fast-paced on offense that attracted him to Minnesota. He had plenty of other options, including an offer from home-state team Maryland.

But Dorsey thinks the Gophers will be an ideal fit.

"I watched the style of play that they have, and I really liked it," Dorsey said. "(Pitino) didn't guarantee me anything. But he told me that if I come in and work hard, that I might be a starter right away."

Dorsey dreams about sharing the backcourt with Minnesota's promising freshman from this season, Nate Mason. The 6-feet-1 Mason averaged 10 points and shot a sparkling 39 percent from 3-point distance.

Dorsey stayed with Mason, from Decatur, Ga., on his official visit to Minnesota. The two, who'd also met at a basketball camp a few years before, immediately hit it off.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_c822ec21-2ad0-5b88-bae8-e730849ec5d4.html

Go Gophers!!

per the Post Bulletin:

Dorsey, who averaged 23 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals per game, likes where he's headed. It's Pitino's desire to play full-court defense and be fast-paced on offense that attracted him to Minnesota. He had plenty of other options, including an offer from home-state team Maryland.

But Dorsey thinks the Gophers will be an ideal fit.

"I watched the style of play that they have, and I really liked it," Dorsey said. "(Pitino) didn't guarantee me anything. But he told me that if I come in and work hard, that I might be a starter right away."

Dorsey dreams about sharing the backcourt with Minnesota's promising freshman from this season, Nate Mason. The 6-feet-1 Mason averaged 10 points and shot a sparkling 39 percent from 3-point distance.

Dorsey stayed with Mason, from Decatur, Ga., on his official visit to Minnesota. The two, who'd also met at a basketball camp a few years before, immediately hit it off.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_c822ec21-2ad0-5b88-bae8-e730849ec5d4.html

Go Gophers!!
We need a post like this after the last 10 days. Clear the table.

Nice to see the media in other parts of the state talk about next year and players coming in.

Nice to see the media in other parts of the state talk about next year and players coming in.

Second that. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anything like this article in either Twin Cities daily.

I think Dorsey is going to be a huge pick up for us, excited to watch him play here.

Everybody make sure to click on that article to get them the traffic they deserve

Next year's team should have a much different look to it. More speed and quickness. More full-court pressure. Will be interesting to see what coach does with the remaining scholarships.

Looking forward to it.

Also a part in the article about his competitiveness. Will be a huge help for next year!

Everybody make sure to click on that article to get them the traffic they deserve

Nothing against the topic. I really hope they are right but these guys in Rochester are some of the worst writers I have ever seem. Don't get too excited. They write anything to get that click.

Nothing against the topic. I really hope they are right but these guys in Rochester are some of the worst writers I have ever seem. Don't get too excited. They write anything to get that click.

Well...I wan't going to click on the link...but now that you've chimed in...I'll have to check it out. Thanks for keeping it...uh..."real"?.

I hope all of the optimism for next year is warranted. But (at the risk of sounding like a pompous butt-hole), I will wait to see Dorsey and the other new players in person before forming an opinion. I know this is a minority opinion, but I put no stock in highlight tapes. You can take an average player, cherry-pick a few moments, and edit together a tape that makes them look like an all-star.

I've tried to express this, and I get criticized for it, but I am at a point where I don't believe any hype about incoming players. Look - Dorsey or any of the other recruits may turn out to be stars - but I want to see them play in actual game conditions against quality opponents before making up my mind.

I do think the guard corps has a chance to be improved next year IF the new players are more athletic than the players they replace. My biggest concern is the front line. I still want to see Pitino bring in a JUCO big man - but only if the guy is good enough to start. No sense in bringing in a JUCO as bench strength - you're better off giving the younger guys court time. but if there is a JUCO PF who is good enough to start, bring in him and put King at the SF.

I hope all of the optimism for next year is warranted. But (at the risk of sounding like a pompous butt-hole), I will wait to see Dorsey and the other new players in person before forming an opinion. I know this is a minority opinion, but I put no stock in highlight tapes. You can take an average player, cherry-pick a few moments, and edit together a tape that makes them look like an all-star.

I've tried to express this, and I get criticized for it, but I am at a point where I don't believe any hype about incoming players. Look - Dorsey or any of the other recruits may turn out to be stars - but I want to see them play in actual game conditions against quality opponents before making up my mind.

I do think the guard corps has a chance to be improved next year IF the new players are more athletic than the players they replace. My biggest concern is the front line. I still want to see Pitino bring in a JUCO big man - but only if the guy is good enough to start. No sense in bringing in a JUCO as bench strength - you're better off giving the younger guys court time. but if there is a JUCO PF who is good enough to start, bring in him and put King at the SF.
Sweet post. See you in October. The rest of us will do what message boards were created for; speculation and witty banter.

Like a good qb, Dorsey will make the whole team better. He's a one-on-one scorer, unlike Dre or Lil Dre. And he'll have silky smooth McBrayer to run plays with instead of an out in control Squirrel.
Just need that basketballing 6'8" shooter and slasher now.

There's something to this. Josh Martin humbled all of us who thought he looked the part based on highlight tapes and slam dunk contests. But I'll say that I did see Nate Mason coming, and I see many of the same qualities in McBrayer.

One thing that mix tapes show me: Dorsey finishes as well or better with his left hand than his right. He is right-handed, correct? Not sure Iv'e seen someone score so seamlessly with his off hand. I think he can get to the rim like Mathieu but finish better.

One thing that mix tapes show me: Dorsey finishes as well or better with his left hand than his right. He is right-handed, correct? Not sure Iv'e seen someone score so seamlessly with his off hand. I think he can get to the rim like Mathieu but finish better.

9. “Left hand, right hand, it doesn’t matter. I’m amphibious.” – former NC State basketball player Charles Shackleford

http://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/top-15-dumbest-athlete-quotes/

Tinyarch says it this way: Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm oblivious. :cool:

I'm going to wait until after I'm dead to put any thought into what you post.

Nothing wrong with that view and that is why coaches seldom rely solely on highlight tapes for recruiting. Gaston's highlight tape made him look like a rebounding fiend but we haven't seen much of that yet. However, when it comes to Dorsey, there is more than just those tapes indicating that he is likely to be a good D1 player. ESPN insider's scouting report was very positive and said that he had "a bit of Rajon Rondo" in his game.

I wouldn't worry about people around here criticizing you. First of all, consider the sources of the criticism. Secondly, social acceptance around here gains you nothing and social rejection loses you nothing.

Dorsey is nice, but I agree with short ornery Norwegian, you really can't tell with incoming players. That being said PF and C are the most pressing needs, reasonably skilled PF and C. Coach and players also need to realize that as you see with the Spartans, an up tempo offence can only work in the Big Ten if it is balanced and complimented by some good half-court sets, this is not his fathers conference. Multiple defensive sets wouldn't hurt either. I really don't think that who starts at the beginning of the season matters because I think the starting 5 will be fluid, therefore I feel that it would be unrealistic to expect much from the team next season, but my support and fanhood will never waiver!

Top Bottom