Sid: Tough loss for U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Tough loss for U

No doubt Gophers football coach Jerry Kill, who is on vacation now, has to be upset that Lynn Holleran, director of the McNamara Academic Center for Student-Athletes, is leaving the university to take a job at Penn State as a senior associate athletic director for administration, after putting together one of the great college academic programs in the country. In the past year, every sports team except men’s basketball had a collective GPA of 3.0 or higher.

When Pam Borton was named the women’s basketball coach in 2002, Holleran, Borton’s partner, worked as an assistant to former president Bob Bruininks. Then when Eric Kaler became president, Holleran moved to the athletic department and in charge of academics.

Holleran says she got a big opportunity when offered the Penn State job, but people close to her claim she wasn’t happy with the university, despite that she loved working with Kill and the rest of the university’s coaches, who will greatly miss her. At Penn State, she will join former Gophers Alumni Association President and CEO Phil Esten, who left the university to go to Cal-Berkeley and then went to Penn State to become deputy director of athletics.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/296816201.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Is this the chick that helped Maturi give Borton the super secret extension? If so, glad to see her gone.

Perhaps it is wake up time should there be issues. No doubt it sounds like Kill will miss her but everyone is replaceable.

Shut er down. No way we rebound from this loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That explains why Borton was sitting behind the PSU bench at the last game at the Barn.

How will we ever recover?

I'm going to get drunk after this disturbing news...

I think people are missing the point - and Sid does have one. Holleran has received a lot of the credit for the vast improvement in academic performance among U athletes. You hate to lose good people, no matter what the circumstances. And, just speculating, but it had to be a little weird for her to keep working for the U after Borton was dumped as Women's BB coach. Sid even implies that - by noting she wasn't happy with the U, but liked all of the coaches. Who does that leave - let's see, his name rhymes with More wood.

Sid even implies that - by noting she wasn't happy with the U, but liked all of the coaches. Who does that leave - let's see, his name rhymes with More wood.

is this guy serious? of course she's leaving and of course she doesn't like norwood, he fired her wife and now we have a better coach. if i'm norwood, i wouldn't want the wife of someone who i fired to be working for me either. the departure is probably mutual. i'm willing to be we survive.

I think people are missing the point - and Sid does have one. Holleran has received a lot of the credit for the vast improvement in academic performance among U athletes. You hate to lose good people, no matter what the circumstances. And, just speculating, but it had to be a little weird for her to keep working for the U after Borton was dumped as Women's BB coach. Sid even implies that - by noting she wasn't happy with the U, but liked all of the coaches. Who does that leave - let's see, his name rhymes with More wood.

Did Holleran ever work for UNC? Their grade point average was outstanding... :cool:

Did Holleran ever work for UNC? Their grade point average was outstanding... :cool:

UNC football wins count on Brew's resume, but I'm guessing their academic staff leaves it off...

Sounds like nepotism to me. Those type if relationships in any department can't end well. I understand why Borton went to the bowl game now. It wasn't just Jerry's command:)

Need to find a good replacement and move on. Holleran may be the best academic director in the world, but if she can't get over Borton rightly getting fired after a poor job as coach she doesn't undestand the field she is in. I love JK, but Norwood did the right thing in both basketball programs. The first AD we have had in my history that did not wait four years too long to make a change.

Borton had a long rope courtesy of Maturi. I don't care how good Lynn was at her job. If she was carrying a chip on her shoulder about Borton getting the ax you end up having at some point a "Judus" in the athletic department. The good thing is that now Borton will follow her bed fellow to Penn State getting her completely out of the U scene.

That is exactly the downside of having multiple family members in an organization especially in leadership positions, if it does not work out for one, the other's position is frequently compromised. She did a great job here, I hope she does a great job at PSU. See how she likes Franklin, since he judges people based on their choice of wife.

Borton had a long rope courtesy of Maturi. I don't care how good Lynn was at her job. If she was carrying a chip on her shoulder about Borton getting the ax you end up having at some point a "Judus" in the athletic department. The good thing is that now Borton will follow her bed fellow to Penn State getting her completely out of the U scene.
Judas???

Top Bottom