All Things Theo John Recruiting Thread

It would mean that, at the start of the 2018-19 season, we would only have Curry and Murphy as returning post players, and I don't see either of them playing starter's minutes at the 5. This is why I'm a little bit curious as to why we're going after Hasahn French still. He seems pretty good, but he's listed at only 6'7". I've seen Theo John listed as tall as 6'9", and thought he was supposed to be capable of playing center, but even 6'9" seems a bit on the small side. French seems like an undersized power forward. If we don't take a big man in 2017, we NEED at least 2 in 2018. Maybe Pitino is anticipating a transfer and plans to seek out a JUCO big in the spring, that might work, but I don't love the idea of potentially asking for big time minutes from a young, raw center.

Idk wasn't Mbakwe around 6'7" he played center his senior year. I think will add a player in the spring, position will depend on how we use our second commitment here.

Idk wasn't Mbakwe around 6'7" he played center his senior year. I think will add a player in the spring, position will depend on how we use our second commitment here.

Mbakwe was a beast with a 7'4 wingspan and 36" vertical though. Hasahn looks pretty strong, but he doesn't have the length or athleticism of an Mbakwe.

His NBA combine measurements list him at 6'8" in shoes, 6'6" and 3 quarters barefoot. He also had huge arms, a 7'4" wingspan, which is an inch longer than the average NBA center.

Pitino has hinted at Curry logging minutes at the 5. He was surprised at Curry's height (6'9) and his frame when he hit campus this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if our starters in 2018 were Washington, McBrayer, Coffey, Murphy, and Curry. That would be a pretty fun lineup.

Pitino has hinted at Curry logging minutes at the 5. He was surprised at Curry's height (6'9) and his frame when he hit campus this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if our starters in 2018 were Washington, McBrayer, Coffey, Murphy, and Curry. That would be a pretty fun lineup.

As a point of reference Matt Costello(hardly the prototypical athlete) is 6'9" and started center for MSU for 2 or so years. College is not the NBA with regards to size.

And people are way overrating opposing Centers.

The college game is becoming like the NBA game in that centers aren't used on the post anymore. Mobility and athleticism are more valuable than height/girth.

Sure if you can get a guy who is 6'10 260 and can move/think at the same time then yeah go for it. Those guys fill up the top-25 in the rankings though, so schools like MN have to get creative.

Nothing wrong with a 6'9 Center if he's mobile, tough and long.

Nothing wrong with Marquette (other than Shi**y neighborhood). Good luck to Theo.

Top Bottom