All Things Theo John Recruiting Thread

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Does anybody know if he is leaning a certain way? Cant really like that OU is freshly coming off a final four finish after we win 6 games

Does anybody know if he is leaning a certain way? Cant really like that OU is freshly coming off a final four finish after we win 6 games

That can't hurt. But let's face it, if a kid is going off last years past performance 100+ teams can out sell us.

We have a good shot at Theo and Nate.

Well he has five free trips might as well use them, guessing he visits us and Wisconsin too. Hopefully we are the final visit

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Theo John has a pretty good idea of how badly Minnesota Gophers fans want him to stay home and play at the U after he graduates from Champlin Park High School next spring.

He hears it at school. He hears it on Twitter. One day last summer, he walked out to his car from his house and found it covered with maroon and gold décor – including streamers and stuffed Goldys – and surrounded by sidewalk-chalk pleas to stay in Minnesota for the next phase of his life.

“I asked coach ‘Do you have anything to do with this?’” He said ‘No, that’s just some loyal fans,’” John said with a chuckle. “My parents were dying. They thought it was hilarious.”

But streamers or not, John is set on living out the process, one he has put a lot of thought into as his recruitment has burgeoned.

“I’m looking for a great coach, one I know is going to be there when I’m going to be there,” John said. "A coach that is going to push me, players that are going to push me, a great environment with that, people that are going to push me academically as well. My parents are really pushing me with that, telling me that I need to go to a great academic school, get my education. There are a lot of things – facilities, that’s not the biggest part but it’s a factor. I look at the passion of the people that surround the program – the trainers, the managers, see how much they really care about the program, their fanbase. I look at a lot of stuff.”

http://www.startribune.com/minnesot...vel-headed-about-upcoming-decision/377461781/

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Theo John has a pretty good idea of how badly Minnesota Gophers fans want him to stay home and play at the U after he graduates from Champlin Park High School next spring.

He hears it at school. He hears it on Twitter. One day last summer, he walked out to his car from his house and found it covered with maroon and gold décor – including streamers and stuffed Goldys – and surrounded by sidewalk-chalk pleas to stay in Minnesota for the next phase of his life.

“I asked coach ‘Do you have anything to do with this?’” He said ‘No, that’s just some loyal fans,’” John said with a chuckle. “My parents were dying. They thought it was hilarious.”

But streamers or not, John is set on living out the process, one he has put a lot of thought into as his recruitment has burgeoned.

“I’m looking for a great coach, one I know is going to be there when I’m going to be there,” John said. "A coach that is going to push me, players that are going to push me, a great environment with that, people that are going to push me academically as well. My parents are really pushing me with that, telling me that I need to go to a great academic school, get my education. There are a lot of things – facilities, that’s not the biggest part but it’s a factor. I look at the passion of the people that surround the program – the trainers, the managers, see how much they really care about the program, their fanbase. I look at a lot of stuff.”

http://www.startribune.com/minnesot...vel-headed-about-upcoming-decision/377461781/

Go Gophers!!
Well we are passionate to say the least.

Go Gophers!!

If a few people on this board have their way then we don't get John. I think we need a strong season next year and a supportive AD of Pitino now.

If a few people on this board have their way then we don't get John. I think we need a strong season next year and a supportive AD of Pitino now.

Great example of how the constant negative narrative in the media can keep a program down. I'm too busy to dig up examples of poor journalism, but the constant attacks portray a program in shambles, and it definitely can play a role in the recruiting process. I think Norwood understood that, which would explain his public statement for expecting a down year in 2015-2016. Im hoping the new AD doesn't come in and blow up the spot all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great example of how the constant negative narrative in the media can keep a program down. I'm too busy to dig up examples of poor journalism, but the constant attacks portray a program in shambles, and it definitely can play a role in the recruiting process. I think Norwood understood that, which would explain his public statement for expecting a down year in 2015-2016. Im hoping the new AD doesn't come in and blow up the spot all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1000%. Constant negativity affects the local kids the most. People will bad mouth the local program with then wonder whys the kids leave.

New article/interview on John certainly doesn't look positive for the Gophers: https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/rivals150-power-forward-slowing-things-down

A couple of highlights from the piece were that John wants to officially visit both Marquette and Illinois before making a decision and will decide on other potential officials at a later time. That seems quite alarming (from a Gopher perspective) given that neither of those are tournament teams and Groce is on the hot seat just like Pitino. The other thing mentioned by John was that he wants to play the four which seems like the exact opposite of what the Gophers pitch had been to him. The idea was that he'd come in and play the 5 here with both Lynch and Konate being Seniors during his Freshman year. Finally there is this quote: "There are a lot of Gopher fans telling me to go to the U. But I've got to do what's best for me and if I have to leave home for that I will and I won't hesitate. If the best fit is at Minnesota, then I know that there will be a lot of happy people."

New article/interview on John certainly doesn't look positive for the Gophers: https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/rivals150-power-forward-slowing-things-down

A couple of highlights from the piece were that John wants to officially visit both Marquette and Illinois before making a decision and will decide on other potential officials at a later time. That seems quite alarming (from a Gopher perspective) given that neither of those are tournament teams and Groce is on the hot seat just like Pitino. The other thing mentioned by John was that he wants to play the four which seems like the exact opposite of what the Gophers pitch had been to him. The idea was that he'd come in and play the 5 here with both Lynch and Konate being Seniors during his Freshman year. Finally there is this quote: "There are a lot of Gopher fans telling me to go to the U. But I've got to do what's best for me and if I have to leave home for that I will and I won't hesitate. If the best fit is at Minnesota, then I know that there will be a lot of happy people."
In Visiting Illinois and Marquette if you find that alarming your mindset is already negative.Duke and Kansas now that would be a concern. As to the four or five once again caught up in the numbers. If Theo can knock down jumpers he will get plenty of action away from the hoop. Defensively any team recruiting him would want him protecting the paint . Teams are not playing multiple bigs at the same time much anymore. Article has nothing that concerns me just well thought out answers by Theo.

I'm not alarmed by anything he says, but watching what he DOES. The fact he's already taken his official to Oklahoma in April of his jr year (and that Kruger has been watching his games) is something to watch.

Also, use common sense. Illinois and Marquette are not going to beat out the Gophers for a local kid we want, UNLESS there were some extenuating circumstance. That circumstance could be, for example, if we sign another PF like Sims or Reuvers before John decides. I think we'd still want John, but all bets are off as to what he's thinking at that point.

There are other power forwards in state that's for sure. Sims seems to be exploding. Of the three is Johns the best prospect? Be nice to get two of the three despite the scholarship numbers question.

There are other power forwards in state that's for sure. Sims seems to be exploding. Of the three is Johns the best prospect? Be nice to get two of the three despite the scholarship numbers question.

We need a center though. Theo is big enough to play the 5, Sims doesn't look like he is. Reuvers is ultra skinny.

He's starting to sound more and more like Rashad Vaughn.

Maybe, but in the grand scheme of things is it really the end of the world if he doesn't come here. We seem like were in a good spot with Sims and Wright. Than there's Reece Thompson and the Cretin kid in the 2018 class. I certainly wouldn't complain if we landed John, but there seems to be a strong supply of in state recruits and we don't have room for all of them. Hopefully then one's we miss/don't have room for go outside the big ten.

There's also 49 other states that we can hit up to find a big man. John isn't a special recruit. He's a nice looking prospect and could be a nice pick up if we got him...but I'd like him if he were our second guy. Like the Eric Curry to someone else's Amir Coffey.

per WCCO:

Theo Johns of Champlin Park has already received an offer. He’s a big and athletic post player. He’s watching the Gophers as they watch him, not quick to pass judgement

“Every college has their hard times,” he said. “I feel like they can work their stuff out. They know that they’re dealing with some serious stuff. They’re great guys.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/05/13/howard-pulley-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

Without Billy D Florida's another run of the mill program

Yeah from what I recall, Florida basketball was amazing for most of the Donovan years, and pretty much total garbage before that.

Yeah from what I recall, Florida basketball was amazing for most of the Donovan years, and pretty much total garbage before that.

Lon Kruger did a nice job at Florida. Set the table a little bit for Billy D before he left for Illinois.

Umm they went to a final four with Lon Krueger.

Point is without Billy D Florida isn't a school we should lose instate recruits too

Top Bottom