Lineup Next Year

Those are all fair points but, call me crazy, I think Morris gets a little bit of a bad rap. Not only was he third in team scoring but he was third in team steals and rebounds last year so he must have been in good position sometimes...His offense was a little erratic and his turnovers too high and that's why Mason and McBrayer could be playing ahead of him, but if Pitino can get him motivated, he'll be a great sub at the 2 and maybe the 3 if the lineup goes small.

I am somewhat in agreement. I think he could be pretty good as a 6th man when the opponent has a number of subs on the floor. He made a lot of noticeable dumb mistakes this year but that should improve with a year under his belt. He is very quick (was probably the second quickest player on the team), has skills, and is an aggressive scorer.

I think he sacrificed his chance of playing elsewhere next year by not transferring schools during winter break.

He can go DII and play right away.

King cannot guard most sf's. If he is playing the 3 spot you have to play lots of zone.

He also rarely rebounds with any intensity and he's not oriented toward mixing it up inside with big men. That much we know. Whether he can guard small forwards adequately is a question we don't know as much about. Finally, we play a lot of zone defense anyway. The odds are very likely that he is going to play significant minutes because he has become a solidly efficient scorer and he will be the only returnee who has played big minutes for Pitino for two years.

He can go DII and play right away.

This is true....

I got

1-Dorsey/Jarvis
2-Mason/Jarvis/Macbryer
3-Morris/Buggs/Macbrayer
4-Diedouh/King/Buggs
5-Konate/Nwakako/Diedouh

If Lofton is back, He's at the 2 and move mason to the 1.
If We get Russo or Ellison they probably start at the 4 at some point during the season.

I'd like to see those additions, lots of length suitable for Big10 play. Otherwise think we are still under sized and short handed with the guys on currently set to be on the roster.

Gophers just offered Juco SG Mychal Mulder and finally offered Chris Boucher the other day. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go with two Jucos and Lofton or three Jucos as it would help balance out the classes. Supposedly McBrayer has grown (is he done growing?) to a legit 6'5" which helps him play both the 2 and the 3. We really, really need someone who can score some points next year from the wing and Lofton would provide that, as would Mychal Mulder.

Mason and Lofton are pretty close friends,or at least Zach sits with Nates parents when their in town for home games.IDK if Zach is coming back,but I think if he stays eligible there's a pretty good shot.

This is true....

I got

1-Dorsey/Jarvis
2-Mason/Jarvis/Macbryer
3-Morris/Buggs/Macbrayer
4-Diedouh/King/Buggs
5-Konate/Nwakako/Diedouh

If We get Russo or Ellison they probably start at the 4 at some point during the season.

I'd like to see those additions, lots of length suitable for Big10 play. Otherwise think we are still under sized and short handed with the guys on currently set to be on the roster.

If Lofton comes back, can he play the 3? We could divide up the minutes at the 1&2 between Dorsey/Johnson/Mason.

1,2,3 only really matter on the defensive side of the ball.Coach P wants at least 3 guys on the floor that can push the ball.(or why would he have so many small guards)

This is true....

I got

1-Dorsey/Jarvis
2-Mason/Jarvis/Macbryer
3-Morris/Buggs/Macbrayer
4-Diedouh/King/Buggs
5-Konate/Nwakako/Diedouh

Ellison is a 6-5/6-6 SG/SF so he won't start at the 4 but could very likely start at the 3 if we get him. Seems like a lot of people talking about if Lofton comes back so just curious why do people think Pitino would take him back? There must have been some reason he got kicked off the team and I just can't see him back especially if we had to use a scholarship on him.

Gophers just offered Juco SG Mychal Mulder and finally offered Chris Boucher the other day. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go with two Jucos and Lofton or three Jucos as it would help balance out the classes. Supposedly McBrayer has grown (is he done growing?) to a legit 6'5" which helps him play both the 2 and the 3. We really, really need someone who can score some points next year from the wing and Lofton would provide that, as would Mychal Mulder.
I would be very surprised if all 3 scholarships get used this spring unless 1 is to a graduate transfer. I think Pitino will want more than 1 open scholarship to work with for the '16 class.

You don't kick a scholarship player off the team without good reason. I can't see Lofton on the team next year. My guess is he goes down a division at a school like Winona State or something.

Ellison is a 6-5/6-6 SG/SF so he won't start at the 4 but could very likely start at the 3 if we get him. Seems like a lot of people talking about if Lofton comes back so just curious why do people think Pitino would take him back? There must have been some reason he got kicked off the team and I just can't see him back especially if we had to use a scholarship on him.

Yeah, I was mistaken regarding elison. 6'5/6'6 would still provide length. I Was thinking about Boucher.
I do think Russo would fit wonderfully, the kid in high school was very good with good size and wants to be here, I really like him.

I think the ZL chatter is for multiple reasons.
-he could have transferred over the break to a D1 school and played next year.
-he doesn't seem like such a bad guy after McNeil and Martin defected & more schollies have opened up for next years after those defections.
-he still seems to be a big gopher fan and hopefully would be willing to walk on if needed and would not be a burden on the schollies or coaches since it's all on him. (Win-win)
And more

Could be purely speculation but the stars seem to align in my personal opinion. Maybe there is a chance; well I hope there is a chance he is a big time talent that we could use for a year or 2.

Maybe Loftons riding out his scholly,to be a graduate transfer,which would raise his stock a bit.

You don't kick a scholarship player off the team without good reason. I can't see Lofton on the team next year. My guess is he goes down a division at a school like Winona State or something.

You are probably right, although I believe Billy Donovan kicked Cody Larson off the team as a freshman and allowed him to return the following year. Larson eventually transferred to South Dakota State and finished his career this year.

I would be very surprised if all 3 scholarships get used this spring unless 1 is to a graduate transfer. I think Pitino will want more than 1 open scholarship to work with for the '16 class.

There are arguments for and against depending upon the circumstances. I believe that Beilein has no scholarships this year unless Levert decides to leave. To my knowledge, he has no commitments so balancing the classes doesn't seem to bother him. If I were Pitino I might be tempted to go all in with numbers this year so that there is good competition for positions in the rotation. If someone transfers as a result, that would open up and additional scholarship.

Lofton, who hasn't practiced with the team or any team for an entire year, is going to start on a B1G 10 squad ahead of 12 others, 5+ of which have had a full year and no suspension, with the current coach and scheme. I've seen it all folks.

You are probably right, although I believe Billy Donovan kicked Cody Larson off the team as a freshman and allowed him to return the following year. Larson eventually transferred to South Dakota State and finished his career this year.

Scottie Wilbiken was almost booted from Donovan's team multiple times and turned out to be his most valuable player during the Gators Final Four run last year.

Maybe coach P decided he needed sum tough love more than practice
Maybe coach P decided he needed his most talented player,with an NBA body back
Maybe coach P made a hot headed decision in the 1st place
But my guess is if he remains eligible,and doesn't get in any trouble he has a good chance to prove a lot of people right,or wrong.
But your the "deep insider" maybe you know something we don't.

But your the "deep insider" maybe you know something we don't.

I would say suggesting that he makes the team would require more insider knowledge than suggesting he doesn't. Ever hear of Occam's razor?

Lofton's not even in school at the U anymore, is he? Strange way to show he wants to play again, not taking classes anywhere?

Lofton's not even in school at the U anymore, is he? Strange way to show he wants to play again, not taking classes anywhere?

Wow I guess that's breaking news,I was under the impression he is/was still enrolled,and on campus.

Does it show if he's taking classes the current (spring) term?

I think it just shows what their most current enrollment is. Multiple guys show the Summer 2015. Some show Spring 2015.

I'm pretty sure he's been taking classes all spring though according to some media folks.

I think it just shows what their most current enrollment is. Multiple guys show the Summer 2015. Some show Spring 2015. I'm pretty sure he's been taking classes all spring though according to some media folks.

At the very least, I would guess Lofton believes he will be back next year. Whether the coaches agree would be another story.

Top Bottom