Who would you take: Kentucky vs The Field?

• Kentucky

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • The Field

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan

Reaction score

I'll take the field just for shear numbers. However, if KY makes it to the Final Four, it's over. Indy is 3 hours from Lexington. That place will be covered in Cats.

I'll take the field just for shear numbers. However, if KY makes it to the Final Four, it's over. Indy is 3 hours from Lexington. That place will be covered in Cats.

Kansas couldn't even beat Kentucky if they played with 6 players on the court. Kentucky has a very nice path to the Final Four. I took Kentucky.

Kentucky doesn't have a challenge until they play Duke or Wisconsin and they might not play either.

I take Kentucky.

Edit:
They could play Purdue and possibly Maryland, so that could be interesting at least.

The only challenge Kentucky will have in the regional is the winner of Maryland and West Virginia in the 16. The other side of the region is loaded with notorious first weekend burnouts.

I voted for the field, but it's a coin flip. I've done my analysis, and I've never seen anything like it. In the past, even with very strong 1-seeds, the highest percent chance of a championship was 30 or 35 percent. I have Kentucky at about 48 percent, which is ungodly. The next team down is about 10 percent. And the other 1- and 2-seeds are really good. Kentucky's just that much better. If you look on Sagarin right now, the Cats have a rating of over 100. I've never seen that before, either.

The chance to beat Kentucky is over, IMO. Several teams had their shot during the grind of the regular season, and Kentucky survived. Now they are very close to the finish line and will be locked in. Vegas has them at even odds (50/50), FWIW, but I think that's overly conservative.

I hope they lose -- to say that their fans are insufferable is an understatement of monumental proportions. But I don't see it happening.

I would add, my view may be colored by the fact that the team on their side of the tourney bracket with the best chance to beat them is a team I hate so much that my brain couldn't process what would happen if they won (Skunks). My head would explode. The other team that could give them fits is UVA but I don't see them making it all the way to the final.

Is this Kentucky team viewed as more or less invincible than the UNLV team that lost to Duke in the finals of the 1990-1991 season? Probably less but not by much?

Just quick math - let's assume they aren't going to lose before the S16 at minimum. At that point, they have to win 4 games. In order to be a coin flip to win the whole thing at that point, you need an 84.09% chance of winning each game.

That's high but doesn't seem crazy to me....I'd probably go with the field but the fact that it's even a discussion is amazing.

Well, at least we don't haffta worry about Iowa State or Baylor doing it.

The only challenge Kentucky will have in the regional is the winner of Maryland and West Virginia in the 16. The other side of the region is loaded with notorious first weekend burnouts.

The opposite was true. Blowout of WVU, narrow escape vs. ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom