GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coacch Jerry Kill - 3/15/15

DL65

Reaction score
Sid Hartman celebrated his 95th birthday today on the Sports Huddle. The Jerry Kill segment started with Happy Birthday wishes from coach Kill.

Coach Kill’s responses and comments to questions by Sid and Dave Mona are as follows:

1) Sid acknowledged that Kill could not talk about recruits; however, he did cite verbal commitments from – not by name - Carter Coughlin and Thomas Barber. Sid also referenced a gentleman that he knows who is an Iowa State Cyclone fan who reportedly asked Cyclone head coach Paul Rhodes why he doesn’t recruit Minnesota. Supposedly Rhodes said Coach Kill has put a fence around Minnesota: Kill said he couldn’t get into specifics because NCAA rules and regulations regarding the two recent commitments. However, Coach Kill said, “I can say we’re working hard at recruiting.” He said the coaching staff will be out recruiting during spring break.

2) Sid asked about the spring break interruption to spring drills: “I wasn’t excited two years ago (when he first experienced the interruption),” said Kill. However, now he sees some benefits in having a break. As an example, he said if a player is “banged-up” the week off gives him a chance to get healed and return to practice. Additionally: “Kids are refreshed ready to go again.”

3) Sid asked about the team’s progress in this year’s spring practices: Coach Kill replied, “I think progress is good . . . older kids are doing well; young kids are learning . . . effort has been good.”

4) Sid asked what redshirts have stood-out in spring drills: Coach Kill Sounded very excited when he cited the following players: “Rodney Smith had (a) great scrimmage . . . (has) loose hips and played well.”

“Jeff Jones did some good things . . . remarkable what he's learned.” (Coach Kill, once again, said Jones is doing some good things, especially when you consider the time he has been away from football. Jeff didn’t practice last year because of academic-related issues.)

Kill then cited three redshirt wide receivers who have had good practices - Desmond Gant, Isaiah Gentry and Melvin Holland: “So far, seen some good things.”

5) Mona asked a follow-up question that was related to Gentry, Gant, and Holland. Mona said last year they heard a lot comments about the receiving corps lacking separation from the opponents’ defensive backs: Coach Kill sounded very excited when he answered Mona’s question: “You can’t teach length and speed!”

Desmond Gant is 6’3” and 220 pounds and has a 40” vertical jump.

Isaiah Gentry is 6’4” and weighs 210 pounds.

Melvin Holland is 6’3” and 200 plus pounds.

Again, he sounded very excited when describing the trio’s physical size and athletic attributes.

Kill also sounded positive when he mentioned Drew Wolitarsky being back from his late season injury and follow-up surgery, and returning senior wide receiver KJ Maye.

His final comments to Mona’s query were related to the importance of pass protection and Adam Weber working with the quarterbacks:

“Have to get more consistent,” said Kill. He referenced January’s Citrus Bowl and their tilt with Missouri. When Mitch Leidner had time in the pocket against the Tigers he had good production, according to Kill.

“Adam Weber will help and has done a real good job,” said Kill.

6) Sid wanted to know what concerns Kill is experiencing with this year’s team, as shown in spring drills: Kill quickly responded, “Never have enough depth.” As an example, three tight ends have been hurt this spring. He didn’t give the names of the tight ends or the nature of the injuries, however.

Although there are 8 or 9 offensive linemen that will see the field this fall, depth remains a concern as they can’t afford any injuries or lengthy absences due to injuries. I suspect he was alluding to the offensive line woes of two years ago, when several players went down and that they had to do some shuffling of player-positions.

7) Sid wanted to know how redshirt freshman quarterback Jacques Perra has been performing in spring drills: Kill responded quickly and in a positive tone: “He’s done a real good job . . . (Perra has had) a sore arm from throwing in the off-season.” He sounded pleased with Perra’s effort in the off-season to improve his passing – throws a tight spiral.

8) Dave Mona asked if there are any players that display the on-field attitude of Zac Epping: Without hesitation, Kill said true freshman offensive lineman Tyler Moore (2015 recruit) fits the bill, “Hard-nosed, aggressive, a carbon copy of Botticelli and Epping.” There was excited laughter in Kill’s voice when describing Moore’s attitude.

Moore, 6-4/300 offensive lineman, is an early high school graduate and began school and his college football career in January.

9) Sid asked about transfers: Kill mentioned defensive back Charlie Rogers who played JUCO ball in Iowa and walk-on tight-end Noah Scarver, who played last year at Montana (“got homesick”). Scarver, a graduate of Minneapolis Washburn, weighs 270 pounds: “Runs pretty well.” Kill said he has shown he can catch, but is learning, and it’s their responsibility to coach him up.

10) Sid asked the final question and it was related to doing work with Blue Cross/Blue Shield: Kill acknowledged he was helping by “doing some promotion things.” Coach Kill sounded somewhat hesitant in answering Sid’s question - not wanting any personal attention, IMO; however, he did say: “Trying to give back to the community.”

Go Gophers!!

Thanx, DL. The program just keeps getting better. Brick by brick we are closing the gap. :)

Thanks are in order again, DL. Awesome summary.

Thanks for what you do and the information you provide week in and week out !! :drink:

Perra throws a tight spiral, huh...... Waiting....... Waiting.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got home....super thanks for the recap!

Pretty much says it all on the state of our passing game, when it's news that one of our QBs throws a tight spiral.

Why would Kill go out of his way to note one of his QBs can throw a spiral? I was told by the experts on the board that wounded ducks are just as effective as spirals.

Why would Kill go out of his way to note one of his QBs can throw a spiral? I was told by the experts on the board that wounded ducks are just as effective as spirals.

Hey, even a college notebook has a tight spiral. Big deal.

You need to get professional help quickly! Really!

The only guy who can throw a spiral can't crack the second string. We're so screwed! I did see Julien Kafo throw a pretty nice spiral from the sideline back to one of the RB's after he was overthrown in a drill, so maybe there's still hope?

In talking about Tyler Moore Kill said, "He's a beast. He just came here and said, 'I'm playing.'"

In watching the first scrimmage of the spring, Tyler really got into it with a defensive lineman. Then he slapped his hands together about 6 times as he headed for the huddle. In watching his high school film you could see this guy has a mean streak. I LOVE it!!!!!

I did see Julien Kafo throw a pretty nice spiral from the sideline back to one of the RB's after he was overthrown in a drill, so maybe there's still hope?

Whew. I was getting worried for a while there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom