Gophers Sweep PSU, Win Fourth-Straight Conference Title

Reaction score
With a 6-2 sweep over Penn State, Gopher Hockey accomplished a feat unprecedented in its 94-year history—four straight conference championships. Hudson Fasching lead Minnesota with a career-high four points (2g, 2a) while Kyle Rau added two goals in his last game at Mariucci Arena.

“Two months ago, who would have thought we’d be standing here,” said Kyle Rau. “I’m really proud of the guys and I think we’ve really grown as a hockey team; catching our stride at the right time of the year.”

Quotable
“It’ll be cool in like 10 years when I come back and say I was here from ‘11 to ‘15 and those are my banners.” – Kyle Rau

"Last year the road was pretty smooth to get there. This year we had to meander a little bit to do that. It's never easy to win a championship. To our guys' credit we came out of the month of January and played some pretty good hockey." – Don Lucia

"Sometimes we've had to push and prod this group at times during the course of the season, but we had really good leadership obviously with this senior group that went through so much.” – Don Lucia

“We could tell the crowd was getting mad at us almost that we weren’t shooting and [Lucia] was telling us that if the crowd is getting mad we should definitely shoot the puck. He talked to us and he said we needed to get more pucks on net, the goalie was a little shaky so it ended up exactly what we needed to do.” – Hudson Fasching on the Gophers deferring too often in the offensive zone during the first period.

By the Numbers
4 Number of consecutive B1G conference champions the Gophers have won; the first time in program history.

16 Conference titles in 94 years for the men’s hockey team.

1 Goal scored by freshman Ryan Collins; his first while donning a Gopher sweater.

12 The Gophers ranking in the Pairwise. A win in the Big Ten tournament should place Minnesota safely in the NCAA tournament.

2 Assists by Mike Reilly, places him in a tie for second in the county with 36. He also leads the B1G with a +23 rating.

Three Stars of the Game
#3 Seth Ambroz – The senior tallied a goal in is final game as a Gopher.
#2 Kyle Rau – His two goals give him 162 career points in the Maroon and Gold.
#1 Hudson Fasching – The sophomore had a career night with four points.

What’s Next
Minnesota will return to action on Friday for the Big Ten Ice Hockey Tournament at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The Gophers will face the winner of Ohio State/Penn State. Minnesota’s opening game is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. CT. All five games will be aired on BTN.

With a 6-2 sweep over Penn State, Gopher Hockey accomplished a feat unprecedented in its 94-year history—four straight conference championships. Hudson Fasching lead Minnesota with a career-high four points (2g, 2a) while Kyle Rau added two goals in his last game at Mariucci Arena.

“Two months ago, who would have thought we’d be standing here,” said Kyle Rau. “I’m really proud of the guys and I think we’ve really grown as a hockey team; catching our stride at the right time of the year.”

Quotable
“It’ll be cool in like 10 years when I come back and say I was here from ‘11 to ‘15 and those are my banners.” – Kyle Rau

"Last year the road was pretty smooth to get there. This year we had to meander a little bit to do that. It's never easy to win a championship. To our guys' credit we came out of the month of January and played some pretty good hockey." – Don Lucia

"Sometimes we've had to push and prod this group at times during the course of the season, but we had really good leadership obviously with this senior group that went through so much.” – Don Lucia

“We could tell the crowd was getting mad at us almost that we weren’t shooting and [Lucia] was telling us that if the crowd is getting mad we should definitely shoot the puck. He talked to us and he said we needed to get more pucks on net, the goalie was a little shaky so it ended up exactly what we needed to do.” – Hudson Fasching on the Gophers deferring too often in the offensive zone during the first period.

By the Numbers
4 Number of consecutive B1G conference champions the Gophers have won; the first time in program history.

16 Conference titles in 94 years for the men’s hockey team.

1 Goal scored by freshman Ryan Collins; his first while donning a Gopher sweater.

12 The Gophers ranking in the Pairwise. A win in the Big Ten tournament should place Minnesota safely in the NCAA tournament.

2 Assists by Mike Reilly, places him in a tie for second in the county with 36. He also leads the B1G with a +23 rating.

Three Stars of the Game
#3 Seth Ambroz – The senior tallied a goal in is final game as a Gopher.
#2 Kyle Rau – His two goals give him 162 career points in the Maroon and Gold.
#1 Hudson Fasching – The sophomore had a career night with four points.

What’s Next
Minnesota will return to action on Friday for the Big Ten Ice Hockey Tournament at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The Gophers will face the winner of Ohio State/Penn State. Minnesota’s opening game is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. CT. All five games will be aired on BTN.

Have they really won 4 BIG titles in a row? The first two (of the four) would be WCHA titles right?

WCHA was so much better than the current sutuation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom