Strong Start Propels Gophers to 5-0 Win Over PSU

Reaction score
With a Big Ten title on the line this weekend, the Gophers came out flying against the Nittany Lions. Three first period goals were more than enough as the Maroon and Gold rolled to a 5-0 victory and into a tie for first place in the conference.

Quick Start
The Gophers started the game like their entire season was on the line. They won puck battles and put pressure on Penn State early. Minnesota was rewarded with a PSU penalty and subsequent Kyle Rau powerplay goal.

“The powerplay came through with the first goal and we scored a couple more after that,” said Don Lucia. “Obviously it’s a lot easier to play with a 3-0 lead.”

Penn State also started strong but the powerplay goal by Rau deflated the visiting Nittany Lions.

“I thought we came out okay but we took a penalty and gave them one up,” said Penn State coach Guy Gadowsky. “Against a team with those offensive weapons and that powerplay, obviously that started the roll and I think they really took over from there.”

Justin Kloos and Hudson Fasching would tally goals in the opening frame as Minnesota outshot Penn State, 18-6.

“The first period, we played outstanding,” said Kloos. “That’s as good as we’ve played all year.”

Starting the first with a push was something that the Gophers wanted to do in order to put Penn State on their heels.

“That first period was obviously an important one; it’s been their best period all year,” said Lucia. “I think they’re plus-eight in the league in the first period so being able to come out and take advantage of that was obviously important.”

Impressive Defense
Although the box score may look like an offensive assault for Minnesota, it was the Gopher defense that stood out after the game. Minnesota allowed just 18 shots on net with only one grade-A chance. Adam Wilcox earned the shutout and made a huge save on a 2-on-1 to keep the game scoreless in the first.

“[Wilcox] made that huge save in the first when it was 0-0 and that really set the tone for the rest of the game,” said Kloos.

The lapse was one of the only times Minnesota’s defense looked out of place on Friday.

“It started with how well we played defensively,” said Lucia. “Adam made a big save early in the game on a 2-on-1, was one of the few mistakes we made giving them an out-numbered situation.”

Putting together a strong defensive performance late in the year is something the Gophers were proud of after the game.

“We played really good defensively,” said Rau. “They average 40 shots a game and we cut that in half. Our foundation here has always been defense so anytime we can go into the second-to-last game of the regular season with a good defensive performance, it feels good.”

A big reason for the strong defensive game was the ability to close open space on the dangerous PSU forwards.

“I thought our gaps were pretty good tonight in our own end,” said Lucia. “That’s where it begins and I thought we were pretty efficient coming out of our own zone off our breakouts.”

Series Finale
The stakes are high when these two teams drop the puck tomorrow. The Gophers sit tied with Michigan for first in the Big Ten with 36 points. Michigan State is still in the hunt with 34 points and plays the Wolverines at home tomorrow.

“Fortunately we put ourselves in a position to win, unfortunately we haven’t won it…,” said Wilcox of the Big Ten title. “I think we go into it and give our seniors a last hurrah and kind of go into it for them and for a championship and a chance to hang another banner.”

Saturday’s game will be one opportunity for the Gophers to send their senior class off with a home-ice win to claim a conference title.

“Tomorrow’s a critical game for us,” said Lucia. “Our seniors, it’s their last opportunity to play here and hopefully they’ll come out and play as well as they did tonight.”

By the Numbers
5 Powerplay opportunities for the Nittany Lions and five penalty kills for the Gophers.

1 Goal each for the top line of Rau, Fasching, and Leon Bristedt.

22 Shot differential as the Gophers peppered PSU for 40 shots while allowing just 18.

Three Stars of the Game
#3 Hudson Fasching tallied a goal and an assist.
#2 Adam Wilcox earned the shutout with 18 saves.
#1 Kyle Rau, the captain, scored a goal and added two helpers.

What’s Next
Minnesota will look to complete the sweep and win the Big Ten title in the series finale, tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. The game can be seen on FSN+ or heard on ESPN1500.

Top Bottom