Gophers/Penn State series

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wow what a great first period!! When we get rolling, we are very tough to beat.

Go Gophers!!

Wow what a great first period!! When we get rolling, we are very tough to beat.

Go Gophers!!

Well, Michigan took care of MSU like we needed to hope for. If we can hold onto this lead and take care of business tomorrow, we'll at least wrap up the 1st seed in the Big Ten tournament. Though it looks like we'd still need to win at least one game in the tournament to feel good about our chances at the NCAAs.

PSU apparently focused too much on dancing leading up to this matchup. Pretty cool tradition tho :cool:

Well, Michigan took care of MSU like we needed to hope for. If we can hold onto this lead and take care of business tomorrow, we'll at least wrap up the 1st seed in the Big Ten tournament. Though it looks like we'd still need to win at least one game in the tournament to feel good about our chances at the NCAAs.

Actually if Michigan sweeps, they will be the number one seed in the BTT due to having more wins in conference this year unless I'm misreading the tournament tie breaking rules

Correct me if I'm wrong, if we sweep Penn State and Michigan and Michigan St. split, we are the regular season champs, correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, if we sweep Penn State and Michigan and Michigan St. split, we are the regular season champs, correct?

This is correct. Need MSU to win tomorrow night and we win it outright.

Thanks! I wanted to make sure I wasn't cheering for the wrong team in the Michigan/MSU series.

I was under the impression that since we were 2-2 against Michigan, and since we had a better goal differential, we would be the 1 seed. But maybe I wasn't taking shootout points into account?

I was under the impression that since we were 2-2 against Michigan, and since we had a better goal differential, we would be the 1 seed. But maybe I wasn't taking shootout points into account?

tie breaker is whoever has the most in conference wins according to the Big Ten website. And Michigan hasn't won a shootout game.

Seeding for the Big Ten Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament shall be determined by points accumulated in conference games. Points in the regular season Big Ten standings will be awarded as follows: three points for a regulation or overtime win, two points for a shootout win, one point for a shootout loss and no points for a regulation or overtime loss.

a) Seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the greater number of Big Ten regular-season wins;

b) If not determined by (a), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the team with the best regular-season winning percentage against the other co-champion(s);

c) If not determined by (a) or (b), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by comparison of total goals for and against each team in contests between (among) co-champion(s) in conference games. For sake of clarity, a team’s goals-against shall be subtracted from its goals-for in order to compare;

d) If not determined by (a) or (b) or (c), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by comparison of the winning percentages of the co-champions against the remaining highest ranked Big Ten teams in conference games, successively, until the determination is accomplished or all Big Ten regular-season contests have been considered;

e) If not determined by (a) or (b) or (c) or (d), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the flip of a coin.

In the case of ties among three or more schools, the criteria will be used in order until a team, or teams, is separated from the pack. At that point, the process will begin anew to break the “new” tie. In other words, when a four-way tie becomes a three-way tie, the three-way tie is treated as a “new” tie and the process begins with the first tie-breaking criterion.

Note: Shootout wins shall not count as regular-season wins for the purpose of breaking ties in the standings for tournament seeding. Games that go to shootout will be considered a tie game and treated as such in calculating winning percentages.

tie breaker is whoever has the most in conference wins according to the Big Ten website. And Michigan hasn't won a shootout game.

Seeding for the Big Ten Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament shall be determined by points accumulated in conference games. Points in the regular season Big Ten standings will be awarded as follows: three points for a regulation or overtime win, two points for a shootout win, one point for a shootout loss and no points for a regulation or overtime loss.

a) Seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the greater number of Big Ten regular-season wins;

b) If not determined by (a), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the team with the best regular-season winning percentage against the other co-champion(s);

c) If not determined by (a) or (b), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by comparison of total goals for and against each team in contests between (among) co-champion(s) in conference games. For sake of clarity, a team’s goals-against shall be subtracted from its goals-for in order to compare;

d) If not determined by (a) or (b) or (c), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by comparison of the winning percentages of the co-champions against the remaining highest ranked Big Ten teams in conference games, successively, until the determination is accomplished or all Big Ten regular-season contests have been considered;

e) If not determined by (a) or (b) or (c) or (d), seeding amongst tied teams shall be determined by the flip of a coin.

In the case of ties among three or more schools, the criteria will be used in order until a team, or teams, is separated from the pack. At that point, the process will begin anew to break the “new” tie. In other words, when a four-way tie becomes a three-way tie, the three-way tie is treated as a “new” tie and the process begins with the first tie-breaking criterion.

Note: Shootout wins shall not count as regular-season wins for the purpose of breaking ties in the standings for tournament seeding. Games that go to shootout will be considered a tie game and treated as such in calculating winning percentages.

Damn, I must have completely skipped over item A. Thanks for the info.

5-0!!! What a blowout!!

Go Gophers!!

Let's roll up another one tomorrow. Saw a nice pairwise bump as well after tonights win as some other teams above us found ways to lose. Would be nice to be settled into about the ten spot come BTT time.

Let's roll up another one tomorrow. Saw a nice pairwise bump as well after tonights win as some other teams above us found ways to lose. Would be nice to be settled into about the ten spot come BTT time.

Agreed. This group has not done well in conference tournaments, so I really don't want to have to count on the BTT to get us in to the NCAAs.

Agreed. This group has not done well in conference tournaments, so I really don't want to have to count on the BTT to get us in to the NCAAs.

This is a bit of an understatement. As with any one-and-done hockey tournament, its all about goalie play and getting a couple friendly bounces. That to me sums up Michigan State's style. Let Hildebrandt steal it for them and cash in on mistakes. If every team plays their best game in the BTT, MSU is the only team that worries me because of their goalie. Here's hoping for a win tonight and another bump up in the pairwise so we don't have to win the BTT.

Top Bottom