Kiper ranks Cedric #10 safety prospect!

die hard gopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He has a lot of steam right now. Great workout, teams flying in to see him, Kiper... I not only think he'll be drafted, but I think it may come shockingly early (3rd-5th?). No doubt the "inside chat" teams have had with Kill were very positive. Great kid, hard worker.

He has a lot of steam right now. Great workout, teams flying in to see him, Kiper... I not only think he'll be drafted, but I think it may come shockingly early (3rd-5th?). No doubt the "inside chat" teams have had with Kill were very positive. Great kid, hard worker.

On Walter Football the #10 safety is a projected 3-5th round pick so that would go exactly with what Kiper projects. Cedric might have a better chance to get drafted than Damien who unfortunately hasn't gained very much steam at all.

It's kind of like Dezman Southward last draft. Southward didn't compete at the combine (I think he was invited, but injured), but when had a great workout at Wisconsin's pro day and ended up a 3rd round pick. Same could happen with Thompson. Here's hoping. He deserves it.

Thompson is one of my favorite Gophers in recent years. Came from a rough situation and was hardly recruited but made the most of his opportunity.

Thompson is one of my favorite Gophers in recent years. Came from a rough situation and was hardly recruited but made the most of his opportunity.

I think this kind of sums up who he is. He does not take things for granted. He is a hard worker who makes the most of every opportunity he is given. He got a chance to play football and get a degree here and made the most out of both opportunities. He trained with Coach Tom Shaw for a couple of months after the bowl game to prepare for pro day and ended up killing it. I think he said he was running 4.5 and was jumping like 35" vertical before training and then on pro day ran a 4.37-4.4 and jumped 40.5. If he gets the chance to play in the NFL, he would probably surprise a lot of people at how well he'll do.

Looking at the play (where they said he missed the play badly), I don't agree. Cedric kept his responsibility to cover the reverse. There were two linebackers in position to make the play. Had it been a reverse, Cedric would have been right there with a tackle for loss. Unfortunately, Gordon ran over our two linebackers and Cedric still made the play.

I see something totally different than the experts.

Looking at the play (where they said he missed the play badly), I don't agree. Cedric kept his responsibility to cover the reverse. There were two linebackers in position to make the play. Had it been a reverse, Cedric would have been right there with a tackle for loss. Unfortunately, Gordon ran over our two linebackers and Cedric still made the play.

yep, they were in man coverage and Ced shadowed his WR on the reverse action. Travis and BBC should've made the tackle for a 5 yard gain

It looked like he bulldozed D Wilson and BBC. Both appeared to be playing safety in that formation which is a bit peculiar.

Correction: #7 is Demarius Travis not Wilson.

Maybe but Gordon already had a 5 yard gain and just broke the two tackles by the time Cedric realized it. He probably could have diagnosed the play sooner while still initially covering the WR on the reverse.

Maybe but Gordon already had a 5 yard gain and just broke the two tackles by the time Cedric realized it. He probably could have diagnosed the play sooner while still initially covering the WR on the reverse.

Maybe but at the same time he was outside the hashes and all that was going on between the tackles while his back was turned. Certainly could have done a better job but he took care of his responsibility on that play. Why are we even spending this much time on this play, lol

All I know is that takle prevented a sure TD and ended up allowing just a FG. That's good enough for me.

Maybe but at the same time he was outside the hashes and all that was going on between the tackles while his back was turned. Certainly could have done a better job but he took care of his responsibility on that play. Why are we even spending this much time on this play, lol

Why are we spending this much time on this play? It's Gopherhole and over-analysis makes us cool.

Going back to the aforementioned play. If it's a fake to Gordon and Cedric freezes on the fake, the reverse is a touchdown. It shows that a player is coachable if he stays true to his assignments. Even if Cedric makes the play on Gordon this time; the next series of downs will have the same play and Cedric will be way out of position to make the play on the WR on the reverse.

Third round grade!

"Easily the fasted safety in this year's class"

Ceds doing well. Recently had a workout with the Texans. The Giants and Patriots have called for workouts also.

Good compilation of plays for Cedric. He will be missed!

I still don't know how he made the game clinching pick against Purdue.

Personally, I think Thompson is every bit the player that Brock Vereen is (if not better), and Vereen went in the 4th round last year. I suspect that's were Thompson winds up too.

I think Ced is a better tackler while Brock had better coverage skills. Both are interesting in that they have very good measureables but didn't seem to stand out a ton in terms of big plays. Ced had more than Brock but I never thought either looked like an all conference or NFL guy at first glance like guys like Murray and even Travis do

I think Ced is a better tackler while Brock had better coverage skills. Both are interesting in that they have very good measureables but didn't seem to stand out a ton in terms of big plays. Ced had more than Brock but I never thought either looked like an all conference or NFL guy at first glance like guys like Murray and even Travis do

Yep, BBC and Michael Carter definitely looked like All conference guys. I never really thought that about Cedric but unlike Brock, I did at least notice his exceptional open field tackling ability. To be honest if you never told me that Brock earned first team all big ten honors and was drafted, I would have thought he was just a slightly above average defender in a good secondary. However when you take a look at Cedric's measureables and actually watch only him on every single play in a game, you start to realize see his talent.

Watch him in this game on every single play, he is outstanding.

And yet Brock did pretty well in his first year in the NFL.

I will be curious to see how Thompson develops. It's difficult to gauge his cover skills because safeties almost play like extra LBs in Claeys' base defense. His cover skills may be great for all we know. I think Thompson and Vereen are very different in some respects. Thompson looks to be a little more explosive athletically, while Vereen appears to be a "smoother" athlete.

Nice to see Thompson getting some buzz.

Yep, BBC and Michael Carter definitely looked like All conference guys. I never really thought that about Cedric but unlike Brock, I did at least notice his exceptional open field tackling ability. To be honest if you never told me that Brock earned first team all big ten honors and was drafted, I would have thought he was just a slightly above average defender in a good secondary. However when you take a look at Cedric's measureables and actually watch only him on every single play in a game, you start to realize see his talent.

Watch him in this game on every single play, he is outstanding.

Love Ced but him getting in Late and not getting the play call was the biggest play of that WI game. We were in complete control before giving them life with that big play

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/53032/271/nfl-draft-needs-cowboys

Cowboys mock draft

Round 5 (163): S Cedric Thompson, Minnesota - Many evaluators were forced to give Thompson a second look after his great workouts. I will keep saying it, many times 5-7th round grades are separated by a thin margin. The team has selected a defensive back in the 4th-plus rounds each of the last 13 years.

Top Bottom