2015 Coaching Depatures Thread

Pitino to VCU and the return of Richmond Insider?

It is kind of funny people panicked about Pitino going some of these places and yet they all get filled by either alum or coaches with significantly better resumes.

Hopefully this quells some of those leaving rumors going forward.

Pitino to VCU and the return of Richmond Insider?

It is kind of funny people panicked about Pitino going some of these places and yet they all get filled by either alum or coaches with significantly better resumes.

Hopefully this quells some of those leaving rumors going forward.

Still need to dodge that Alabama job, yes?

Texas hit a bigger HR with its basketball job than its football job. Wow.

Meanwhile, if Alabama just turns around and offers Pitino the same package Marshall turns down, I'd worry. Somehow that seems unlikely.

Stop this nonsense. No major conference program is going to offer a 34 year old coach coming off a 6-12 conference record. No one.

Smart may not be the only candidate. rumors around NBA coaches as well

First, why would you do that? Second, how would it work logistically? I remember when we were going to fire Monson in 2006 and hire Flip. But how do you sit and wait until June without it being a circus for the coach?

First, why would you do that? Second, how would it work logistically? I remember when we were going to fire Monson in 2006 and hire Flip. But how do you sit and wait until June without it being a circus for the coach?

sorry, should have used former. was only partially paying attention when Michael Wilbon mentioned nba coaches. the one name i thought i heard was avery johnson. they might do it for the same reasons some were thinking Flip for the Gopher job. Deep ties in the state and a basketball pedigree. heck, i don't know why they're doing anything. there's a small list of coaches better than barnes and i don't see any of them going to Texas

If Shaka is offered the Texas job, he'd be wise to take it. When you're a young gun/hot rock your number stays hot only for so long. There's only so much you can do at schools like VCU. Look at how good the Gonzaga program is, and they still haven't reached a Final Four, and VCU (its incredible Final Four trip notwithstanding) is no Gonzaga.

I was over at VolNation, Pitino is on their list(fans list), which mostly consists of guys they have no chance at.

Rick Barnes to Tennessee...which makes a lot of sense. A lot more than Ricco Pitino. Barnes will win at TN.

Rayno has connections and sources? I thought she just got drunk on whiskey and blogged about big foot.

I know Amelia likes too talk about her boozing, have seen that quite often, but what's the deal with Bigfoot? Does she actually believe Sasquatch is real?

Rayno has connections and sources? I thought she just got drunk on whiskey and blogged about big foot.

Don't forget her sources who said King and Morris will have significantly reduced roles next year.

I know Amelia likes too talk about her boozing, have seen that quite often, but what's the deal with Bigfoot? Does she actually believe Sasquatch is real?

I've always taken it tongue-in-cheek.

Do you know if she likes bourbon? I have some good bourbon...and I would be willing to let her see my Yeti. :cool02:

per ESPN:

Northern Iowa coach Ben Jacobson signed a new 10-year contract with the Panthers, Jacobson told ESPN.com Tuesday night.

The Panthers were a No. 5 seed in the NCAA tournament, beating No. 12 Wyoming in the round of 64 and then lost to No. 4 Louisville in the round of 32. Northern Iowa finished 31-4 overall, 16-2 in the Missouri Valley.

"It's the perfect fit,'' said Jacobson. "We continue to move ahead with resources that allow us to raise the bar.''

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-panthers-ben-jacobson-agree-new-10-year-deal

Go Gophers!!

If Shaka is offered the Texas job, he'd be wise to take it. When you're a young gun/hot rock your number stays hot only for so long. There's only so much you can do at schools like VCU. Look at how good the Gonzaga program is, and they still haven't reached a Final Four, and VCU (its incredible Final Four trip notwithstanding) is no Gonzaga.

First time I've ever disagreed with you. Ultimately it's what you do in the NCAAs that define you nationally amongst fans. Amongst ADs they see the bigger picture. Shaka has 6 straight 26+ win seasons (only other is Duke), thats moving from the CAA to the A10 (6/7th best conference). VCU lost their starting PG and NDPOY candidate with 1.5 months left, having to re-invent themselves and they did - winning 4 games to capture the A10 crown. VCU has lost in the past two NCAA tourney in OT - unfortunately the committee has sent VCU to the West Coast 3/4 years.

Shaka has taken 2 prospects with offers from Cleveland St. and VCU collectively, and molded them into NDPOY candidates and the 2nd leading scorer in school history. One (Treveon Graham) was beat Chris Paul one-on-one 2 years in a row at Paul's camp. Shaka Smart's freshmen class was Top 25 (three 4 stars) and this year's class was also in the Top 25.

Shaka has recruited two Top 50 players, and they will be a freshman and sophomore next year. ADs won't stop calling if he says no. ADs will continue to say "If he can pull top 25 classes at VCU, imagine what he can do at my school". The phone won't stop ringing until he pulls a Mark Few and tells everyone to not bother. He'll leave at some point, but to say that the iron won't be hot after this season for a coach who's recruiting the best classes he's had, and has never won less than 26 games a season in his career is ludicrous.

DePaul can't cheat anymore like they did 30 years ago to get al those Chicago Public League players into school. I miss seeing a decent DePaul team though.

Top Bottom