All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Looks like Freshman Pittsburgh PG, Marcus Carr, is officially transferring. Probably not great news on the McGowens front. Opens up alot more playing time in the Pitt backcourt. Looks like Pitino has reached out to Carr, though he will probably be a hot commodity.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Looks like Freshman Pittsburgh PG, Marcus Carr, is officially transferring. Probably not great news on the McGowens front. Opens up alot more playing time in the Pitt backcourt. Looks like Pitino has reached out to Carr, though he will probably be a hot commodity.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Sounds like Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State and Marquette are the 4 schools that are pursuing him the most. Not sure how actively the other schools recruited him out of HS, but I thought the gophers recruited him quite a bit prior to his commitment to Pitt.

I would find it surprising if he takes both Willis and Carr to sit out a year, but we'll see what happens.

Sounds like Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State and Marquette are the 4 schools that are pursuing him the most. Not sure how actively the other schools recruited him out of HS, but I thought the gophers recruited him quite a bit prior to his commitment to Pitt.

I would find it surprising if he takes both Willis and Carr to sit out a year, but we'll see what happens.

It might still be possible for the sit-out transfer rule to go away, but I’m not sure when we’re gonna know more about that.

can't he play right away if his coach leaves?

I think they can apply for a waiver that likely will get rejected. If Pitino gets Willis and Carr, that's a couple of nice backcourt additions that help in a year. He would badly need the juco kid then who could come in and help next year. It's too bad they weren't able to keep Sharp around as a walkon as he was halfway decent. I'm sure 15-20 years ago you could get a Ryan Larson to walk on but now you get Hunt Conroy who probably wouldn't stand out in my Tuesday night league. I know Rudrud could have gone to St Thomas ...

So yeah, three years ago Pitino took Lynch and Fitzgerald as transfers and when Morris got kicked off the team, Mason/McBrayer/Dorsey were suspended... it was as embarrassing as it could get. I'd be surprised if Pitino knowing he's on the hot seat takes two guys who he might not even coach. The nice thing for the program is those guys likely will stay if Pitino is the coach or not given they just sat out. But then we'll finally see the transfer rule change and it will screw the program anyways.

What a slap in the face from McGowens... must have gone really bad.
The in-home visit immediately after was probably Pitino trying to convince McGowens that 30 degree highs and 18" snowfalls are extremely rare for Minnesota in mid-April.

We could sure use some good news soon. At least one significant recruit out of the three available schollies would be nice.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Per Verbal Commits, another 2018 PG offer: Franco Miller, Jr. This past season he was doing a prep year in Canada. Mid-major offers except for Minnesota and Ole Miss.

Per Verbal Commits, another 2018 PG offer: Franco Miller, Jr. This past season he was doing a prep year in Canada. Mid-major offers except for Minnesota and Ole Miss.

Franco, from the Bahamas to Canada to Minnesota Miller Jr looks like he has the skills we need to feel safer at PG next season. http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/franco-miller-jr

https://twitter.com/francovm_?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6l7uyHzL6c&app=desktop

I like that he attacks the rim, willing to be physical. A lotta nice no look passes, shows vision, willingness to share and flair. Can shoot some. Quickness, explosiveness, are questions to me and he looks down on moves off the dribble making me wonder about his ball handling mastery other than a highlight tape. Like the potential.

Recruiting must really be going poorly if this is the point we are getting to.

Lil Ricky is officially dumpster diving. He might as well light the light fluid canister while he's in the bin. That's what next year's team is trending to look like.

Recruiting must really be going poorly if this is the point we are getting to.

Well, you do read some good stuff about him from the Canadian observers. So far I like this offer better than the sit out transfer announcement.

Franco, from the Bahamas to Canada to Minnesota Miller Jr looks like he has the skills we need to feel safer at PG next season. http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/franco-miller-jr

https://twitter.com/francovm_?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6l7uyHzL6c&app=desktop

I like that he attacks the rim, willing to be physical. A lotta nice no look passes, shows vision, willingness to share and flair. Can shoot some. Quickness, explosiveness, are questions to me and he looks down on moves off the dribble making me wonder about his ball handling mastery other than a highlight tape. Like the potential.

He also looks to have an entry level D1 physical frame already so he's not going to come in here as a toothpick like McBrayer.

Lil Ricky is officially dumpster diving. He might as well light the light fluid canister while he's in the bin. That's what next year's team is trending to look like.

PG-Washington
SG-Macbrayer, Gabe
SF-Coffey, Hurt
PF-Murphy, Curry, Omersa
C-Oturu, Stockman. With curry probably starting here?

That roster is far from a dumpster fire...we find a way to land a decent back up PG and we are a solid ball club

PG-Washington
SG-Macbrayer, Gabe
SF-Coffey, Hurt
PF-Murphy, Curry, Omersa

That roster is far from a dumpster fire...we find a way to land a decent back up PG and we are a solid ball club

Exactly what I think. We still have two spots to fill and I'm assuming that both of them will be guards. We have a better team than most think.

As for Franco, I think he looks like a solid player. He looks like he has the attitude to play at this level. His shooting mechanics look pretty good, and he provides good athleticism from the PG spot.

Franco Miller is a weird offer. Besides Ole Miss (not exactly a basketball powerhouse) he’s gotten pretty low level offers. I still trust Pitino, but this one is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it will be a challenge to get a highly recruited true PG when Washington is going to be entrenched as a starter for probably the next 3 years. I like the idea of getting a high potential player who can develop but won't expect to be a starter right away.

Go get Franco Miller and a grad transfer PG. If Miller needs a year to redshirt, we could do that assuming we get a grad transfer. Then the following year you have 3 guys who can play PG in Washington, Miller and Willis.

PG-Washington
SG-Macbrayer, Gabe
SF-Coffey, Hurt
PF-Murphy, Curry, Omersa

That roster is far from a dumpster fire...

No, but it remains to be seen if, even with a backup point guard, it is any better than an 8th place Big Ten team.

No, but it remains to be seen if, even with a backup point guard, it is any better than an 8th place Big Ten team.

Maybe next year will be like one of those years in the B10 where 8th place is good enough for the tourney :cool:

Franco Miller is a weird offer. Besides Ole Miss (not exactly a basketball powerhouse) he’s gotten pretty low level offers. I still trust Pitino, but this one is weird.

Well, he's gotten some good reviews in Canada. He could be a very good under-the-radar find. That's not impossible.

Isaiah Washington is very highly thought of among his peers and those younger than him due to his reputation and celebrity status in the basketball world. It’s very possible that point guards don’t want to get overshadowed by Jelly Fam for 3 years.

Isaiah Washington is very highly thought of among his peers and those younger than him due to his reputation and celebrity status in the basketball world. It’s very possible that point guards don’t want to get overshadowed by Jelly Fam for 3 years.

In basketball their are so many scenarios where 2 pg's are out there together on the court. Im sure some of the lower rated recruits might be scared off a little, but I doubt that 4 star kids or high confidence guys are going to be scared off by another guard. The good thing with basketball is good play on the court stands out, and rotations are always switching. If you can play the coach will find the best 5 to put on the court.

Franco Miller played in the Iverson Classic yesterday. I can't find a box score, but a number of highly ranked kids played in the game including Shaq's son and (former?) Gopher target Courtney Ramey (doesn't sound like we have any shot at him).

So you're saying that our recruiting success is killing us on the recruiting front? It's a constant source of amusement how some spin every negative sign into a strength.

Although Washington definitely improved as the year progressed, he didn't give any indication this season that he was the second coming of Chris Paul.

He’s originally from the Bahamas. I think we’ve gotten a few good ones from there, albeit quite some time ago.

This is not a 8 th place roster. Much better than that. Recruiting has been his strong suit, every coach misses some. It is really tough to get those better grad transfers. My question is who was in Dallas this weekend ? Every successful program had their head coach there.

This is not a 8 th place roster. Much better than that. Recruiting has been his strong suit, every coach misses some. It is really tough to get those better grad transfers. My question is who was in Dallas this weekend ? Every successful program had their head coach there.

Pitino covered both Jalen Suggs' team and D1MN. Can't recall if Pitino ended up at Howard Pulley games this weekend, but part of me wouldn't be surprised if he didn't because there isn't a lot of high major D1 talent.

Top Bottom