All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

How have we not offered Adam Trapp yet?? he's 7-2 and from Minnesota. We lose Lynch and Donate after next year and don't have a big in the 2017 class, we need some size.

Brock Bertram was tall and from Minnesota too. Tall and local does not equal good.

We are most likely not getting Brown and could very well lose out on Oturu to Kansas then we would be stuck with only Curry and Murphy as the only bigs.

We are most likely not getting Brown and could very well lose out on Oturu to Kansas then we would be stuck with only Curry and Murphy as the only bigs.

Huh?

So Pitino just wouldn't go after someone else? What about Race Thompson? Chill dude. A. We have a good shot with Oturu. B. If we missed out on him Pitino would move on to plan B, it is still very early in the 2018 recruiting process. Pitino will have alot of playing time to sell with Konate and Lynch's graduation.

Also, don't rule out a transfer happening in the Spring. If that happened, Pitino could look to bring in a Big for the 2017 class.

Brock Bertram was tall and from Minnesota too. Tall and local does not equal good.

Trapp currently has better offers than Bertram ever did, hard to tell if they are commitable but having offers from Iowa and Purdue is not mince meat, haven't seen him play so I don't really have an opinion one way or the other.

Pitino has proven to be a pretty good recruiter, he'll get some bigs for 2018.

Trapp is slow as molasses. He cannot move. Teams will eat him alive in ball screen actions and he's not strong enough to do much damage against good bigs.

He'll get D1 offers because he's 7'2 but he doesn't strike me as "rotation player on a good Big 10 team" good.

Trapp

Pitino wants defensive quickness, Trapp will never have that. I think Iowa and Purdue are good fits. He is likely still growing, I think he has grown 5 inches in last 2-3 years. He has decent touch and could contribute by his jr year. Thats what projects are.

Trapp is slow as molasses. He cannot move. Teams will eat him alive in ball screen actions and he's not strong enough to do much damage against good bigs.

He'll get D1 offers because he's 7'2 but he doesn't strike me as "rotation player on a good Big 10 team" good.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Let's get these Minnesota kids excited about gopher hoops! This is a great start!

Everything that Eric Hunter does looks slow and methodical. I say that in a good way though. When i watched his film he looks in control of everything he does. Kind of how Tyus played the game.

Eric's game looks like a carbon copy of Dupree's, which is excellent. Keyontae looks like a bruiser of a wing that will be a good rebounding guard, nice stroke as well.

"Pitino can't keep his own guys...doesn't recruit Minnesota" — Pioneer Press

The recruits have to be loving what Minnesota is doing!! Would like to hear what there thoughts are now on the gophers.

I bet they'd say something like "it's great that it seems like they are turning it around and it would be a great honor to represent MN..."

The kids are pretty smart with that stuff and they are going to usually say what sounds good.

Marcus Q&A with Race Thompson:

Q: Does Minnesota's 2018 class face more pressure to stay home because nobody did this year?

A: There’s pressure to stay home, but I don’t think we’re letting that get to any of us. We just play our game and we all want to play where we feel at home. (Pitino and his assistants have) been hitting me up a lot. The Gophers definitely show me some love. It’s nice to feel that.

Q: How cool is it to be part of such a loaded in-state class with guys like Tre Jones from Apple Valley, Daniel Oturu from Cretin-Derham Hall, Gabe Kalscheur from DeLaSalle, Orono's Jarvis Thomas, Esko's Adam Trapp and others?

A: It’s a lot of fun to be in a class like this. We’re all friends. We all get along, but as soon as we step on the court we like going at each other really hard. We just push ourselves to get to the next level. It’s just fun to be in the class of 2018 with all the talented players.

Q: Are you the best player in the junior class in Minnesota (he’s been ranked second and third in the state in several recruiting services like Rivals, Scout and 247Sports)?

A: I think I am (No.1), but we don’t look at it like that. I think anybody from No. 1 through No. 8 could be the best in the class. It’s just ranked how it is.

http://www.startribune.com/race-tho...426735/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. Daniel Oturu announcing college decision on Friday.

Go Gophers!!

Announcement now today:

Go Gophers!!

Per Marcus:

The Gophers have a chance to land the state's top post player in the Class of 2018, Cretin-Derham Hall's Daniel Oturu, who is expected to announce his decision Thursday afternoon.

Oturu moved up his announcement a day after initially tweeting Wednesday night his decision would come Friday morning. The 6-foot-9, 220-pound junior will pick from high-major scholarship offers from Kansas, Minnesota, Texas, Baylor, Nebraska, Georgia Tech and Memphis.

The biggest game of the season so far is coming up for Minnesota coach Richard Pitino and his team Saturday afternoon against rival Wisconsin at Williams Arena. Oturu said this week he will attend the game, which is a good sign.

“Minnesota is off to a great start, hopefully they keep winning,” Oturu said Monday. “It helps with our community”

http://www.startribune.com/four-sta...sion-to-thursday-gophers-favorites/411208435/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Orutu start the 2018 Minnesota pipeline to the U! This all starts with Coffey staying home! Nice job Richard!

So will this help calm the "Pitino can't get talent to stay home" BS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So will this help calm the "Pitino can't get talent to stay home" BS?

Most don't care about that. Sure, we didn't get any of the MN guys in the Class of 17, but no one will/should care in a couple years as long as the guys RP got instead are able to produce. It's just a topic for an article. Doesn't mean anything unless those guys come back to haunt you. Was the same way with Tubby. Both Richard and Tubby have gotten most of the top guys from MN. It's just magnified locally the few times they don't.

Most don't care about that. Sure, we didn't get any of the MN guys in the Class of 17, but no one will/should care in a couple years as long as the guys RP got instead are able to produce. It's just a topic for an article. Doesn't mean anything unless those guys come back to haunt you. Was the same way with Tubby. Both Richard and Tubby have gotten most of the top guys from MN. It's just magnified locally the few times they don't.

I basically agree with everything you're saying Bizzle. But there were many that came and roasted Pitino for going "0 for 6" with last year's local talent. I understand it's always a wait and see game in recruiting. I just wish a few more would wait and see. Also, I tend not forget things that irritate me and I hold grudges. It's one of many character flaws. Go Gophers!

I basically agree with everything you're saying Bizzle. But there were many that came and roasted Pitino for going "0 for 6" with last year's local talent. I understand it's always a wait and see game in recruiting. I just wish a few more would wait and see. Also, I tend not forget things that irritate me and I hold grudges. It's one of many character flaws. Go Gophers!

I think it was mostly the media or those who don't follow gopher sports much that were critical. We as die hard gopher fans shouldn't care if the athletes are recruited straight from hell as long as they are good athletes. Washington is a top 10 point guard in the nation.

Even if we land Oturu, Thompson, and Gabe, but miss on Jones there will still be those critical because Jones brother plays for the T-wolves and we should have got him.

Top Bottom