All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Watched his highlights. He's got a heck of a handle, but looks small and not particularly athletic. Probably why Wisconsin hasn't offered yet. Kind of seems like the type of player Wisconsin doesn't offer, but Marquette does, so the kid goes to Marquette. Similar to Matt Heldt and Sam Hauser. (Yes I realize Marquette hasn't offered)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Humbled? Doubt it, kid is so freaking arrogant. He is also very old for his age. Kid does work hard but is just limited athletically; you will be hard pressed to find a kid with a better handle on the ball. I am just not sold on him yet, obviously Pitino is.

Watched his highlights. He's got a heck of a handle, but looks small and not particularly athletic. Probably why Wisconsin hasn't offered yet. Kind of seems like the type of player Wisconsin doesn't offer, but Marquette does, so the kid goes to Marquette. Similar to Matt Heldt and Sam Hauser. (Yes I realize Marquette hasn't offered)

Yeah, spot on. I could see MU offering but not UW.

Hmm, Great handle, good passer(I'm assuming) and physically limited. Sounds like a perfect fit for Badgers if Bo was still around.

Hmm, Great handle, good passer(I'm assuming) and physically limited.

Sounds like a fella with the last name of Koenig.

Take out the dunks and they are almost the same video. Both do the stupid behind the back with the back turned dribble move too..

Sounds like a fella with the last name of Koenig.

Take out the dunks and they are almost the same video. Both do the stupid behind the back with the back turned dribble move too..

Except one is not like the other at all. Bronson is super athletic as you can see by his dunks and getting by his defenders. He is also like 6'3. Mccabe is not that athletic and like 5'10. The only thing they have in common is that they both have a nice handle on the rock.

Except one is not like the other at all. Bronson is super athletic as you can see by his dunks and getting by his defenders. He is also like 6'3. Mccabe is not that athletic and like 5'10. The only thing they have in common is that they both have a nice handle on the rock.

First I don't think I said they were the same.

I don't think Bronson is significantly more athletic than this kid in a highlight reel. He is taller, but I think they move/play pretty similarly in style.

Bronson is an average atheletic d1 power 5 guard with nice handles good size and a good shot. this kid has a similar looking game playing against NE Wisconsin competition. Obviously not the same player, thanks for pointing that out though.

I was just saying that he sounds like he doesn't turn the ball over which is Wisconsin's game.

McCabe averaged 26 points per game for a very good Kaukauna team that plays good competition and recently won the Wisconsin Division 2 State Championship by 29 points. McCabe had 24 going 4/9 from 3 point land.

I haven't watched him enough to know if he's "athletic" enough, but he's got game and will continue to grow and fill out as he's only a sophomore. I also think the competition he plays against in the FVA and around the state is just fine and we'll learn a lot more about him this summer.

I was just saying that he sounds like he doesn't turn the ball over which is Wisconsin's game.

I wish not turning the ball over was part of our game too.

Go Gophers!!

First I don't think I said they were the same.

I don't think Bronson is significantly more athletic than this kid in a highlight reel. He is taller, but I think they move/play pretty similarly in style.

Bronson is an average atheletic d1 power 5 guard with nice handles good size and a good shot. this kid has a similar looking game playing against NE Wisconsin competition. Obviously not the same player, thanks for pointing that out though.

Well you said "sounds like a fella with the last name koenig. Take out the dunks and they are almost the same video". Unless I am completely misreading what you are saying, it sounds like you are implying that they are very similar players. However, they are not similar at all except for the nice handle and nice shooing touch. Obv we can only compare their HS games respectively since Mccabe is only in HS, Koenig was a big, strong, point guard who could get to the rim at will and jump over his smaller opponents in HS(he clearly can no longer do that at in the B10). Mccabe does not possess those physical traits however he is a really nice ball handler and shooter, just completely different players. You will rarely find Mccabe going to the rim and jumping over other players, he is most likely going to pull up for a mid range jumper or step back 3. Not trying to be a dick here but your passive aggressive response needed to be corrected.

McCabe averaged 26 points per game for a very good Kaukauna team that plays good competition and recently won the Wisconsin Division 2 State Championship by 29 points. McCabe had 24 going 4/9 from 3 point land.

I haven't watched him enough to know if he's "athletic" enough, but he's got game and will continue to grow and fill out as he's only a sophomore. I also think the competition he plays against in the FVA and around the state is just fine and we'll learn a lot more about him this summer.

Yeah I am well aware of the FVA, it is def a good conference (almost underrated imo). A lot of great players have gone through their including Travis Diener, Brian Butch, Steve Helzel, Tim Jarmusz, etc. It has a rich history, no doubt about that. Mccabe may turn out to be a great player, I just am not sold on him yet. He has def put up some great stats in a good conference as a soph. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe he was 1st team all state this year.

Badgers won't do anything else in '18 until Hauser and Herro decide. They only have 2 scholarships and those are the top targets. They supposedly are in good shape with both, but who knows.

McCabe has generated quite a bit of discussion on the Badgers boards. Split on whether the Badgers should offer. All a moot point right now until the situation with the other two plays itself out.

Well you said "sounds like a fella with the last name koenig. Take out the dunks and they are almost the same video". Unless I am completely misreading what you are saying, it sounds like you are implying that they are very similar players. However, they are not similar at all except for the nice handle and nice shooing touch. Obv we can only compare their HS games respectively since Mccabe is only in HS, Koenig was a big, strong, point guard who could get to the rim at will and jump over his smaller opponents in HS(he clearly can no longer do that at in the B10). Mccabe does not possess those physical traits however he is a really nice ball handler and shooter, just completely different players. You will rarely find Mccabe going to the rim and jumping over other players, he is most likely going to pull up for a mid range jumper or step back 3. Not trying to be a dick here but your passive aggressive response needed to be corrected.

I never compared their high school careers.

I said you take out the dunks and they are similar videos.

I said the description of a great passer good handle and physically limited sounded like Bronson Koenig.

What above is incorrect? Maybe disagree with the videos being different?

All other assumptions are yours not mine. And I don't believe I was passive aggressive at all.

I never compared their high school careers.

I said you take out the dunks and they are similar videos.

I said the description of a great passer good handle and physically limited sounded like Bronson Koenig.

What above is incorrect? Maybe disagree with the videos being different?

All other assumptions are yours not mine. And I don't believe I was passive aggressive at all.

My bad, I thought you were saying they were similar players. My apologies.

Hmm, Great handle, good passer(I'm assuming) and physically limited. Sounds like a perfect fit for Badgers if Bo was still around.

I can't remember if Bo ever really had a scholarship guy that was 5'10"...especially one that liked to dribble all over and shoot off of his dribble.

Oturu is good. Probably like 6'9, 210 lbs. Good leaper, nice transition game, demonstrated he could step out and hit the three, and while his shot needs some consistency, the potential for a nice mid-range, perimeter jump shot to add to his game is definitely there and something I can see him working on over time. Very strong rebounder at this age, defense is so-so. He'll get a bunch of offers and a Gopher offer eventually, I believe he'll end up a Gopher. Has the rest of the summer (including 3 more EYBL events) and next summer to rack up the offers. I think he's a top 150 guy.

I am always cautious with these northeast wisconsin kids that get recruited... Competition in North East Wisconsin just isn't too good. It's been a while since they produced a quality power conference player. I don't have high expectations for Pritzl who went to Wisconsin last year, and Cohen hasn't done much at Marquette yet either (just looked it up and realized he played 20 minutes there last year, suprised). Cant think of the last time someone coming out of the fox river valley or green bay area has contributed to a d1 school at any rate. Dekker being the closest.

Brevin Prizil is a redshirt frost from De Pere at Wisconsin, the Koch kid who hit the half court shot for N Iowa is from Ashwabenon, UW Milwaukee has a kid from Pulaski, Cohen played more than 20 mins for Marquette last year from Seymour....there's some good ball here in the Green Bay Area and some good HS coaches who run excellent fundamentally sound programs.

Brevin Prizil is a redshirt frost from De Pere at Wisconsin, the Koch kid who hit the half court shot for N Iowa is from Ashwabenon, UW Milwaukee has a kid from Pulaski, Cohen played more than 20 mins for Marquette last year from Seymour....there's some good ball here in the Green Bay Area and some good HS coaches who run excellent fundamentally sound programs.
Jesperson from Merril I believe hit the shot for UNI, former Gopher recruit and Virginia transfer.

Figures since you really based your assertion on poor facts and knowledge of the area and the players it's produced and what they are currently doing at the college level. But that's fine...

Wrong.

I stated that it's been a while since the area produced a quality power conference player. My later comment regarding the d1 contribution at any rate was admittedly hyperbole, main point was the power conference contribution.

You listed off a bunch of mid major role players you either mislocared or couldn't even name.

You proved my point.

I grew up, played in, and live in Northeast Wisconsin.

It's ok to disagree. Now stop being a ******.

Wrong.

I stated that it's been a while since the area produced a quality power conference player. My later comment regarding the d1 contribution at any rate was admittedly hyperbole, main point was the power conference contribution.

You listed off a bunch of mid major role players you either mislocared or couldn't even name.

You proved my point.

I grew up, played in, and live in Northeast Wisconsin.

It's ok to disagree. Now stop being a ******.

Oh, my snarky comment was indeed in reply to your's, but let's agree that we're both a little bit of a ******.

For background, first and foremost, I reside in De Pere, graduated from Pulaski, and then the U. So its actually nice to hear someone else in NEW is a Gopher Fan. Not many of us here! I actually searched it on LinkedIn a few months ago, 126 graduates of the U in the Greater GB area, at least listed there.

You'll have to excuse me for the Koch/Jesperson mix up and my inability to name Cody Wichman, from Pulaski, off the top of my head on Wednesday.

I'll agree that NEW doesn't produce Top 150 players on a routine basis. But it has produced its share over the years with a population base of roughly 350k (I'm taking an educated guess) (GB to Menasha down 41 and Sheboygan down 43 (I only go 45 mins south to Sheboygan because they are in the FRCC with all of the GB Schools), and west to Shawano let's say) its not the void of talent you claim, nor poor BB.

First, from a team perspective, Bay Port, Kaukauna, Pulaski, De Pere, GB Notre Dame, to name a few, have all had runs through state or won championships in the past few years. As a comparison, when I was a kid, typically Milwaukee area dominated state. I still remember Bay Port running up and down with Maymon and Blue from Madison at State a few years ago.

But to your point, I believe, inside your general statement about the state of HS Basketball in NEW; I knew Brian Wardle a bit when he was at UW-GB (or GB as they now prefer to market themselves) He was under some booster pressure to recruit local products Wichman or Koch, as he had been recruiting most of the kids from Milwaukee and Chicago. He told me what the area lacked, and he was being general, was the toughness of the inner city kids to get hit in the nose and still stay on the ball defending a trait he felt players like Fletcher, Carriignton Love, etc... had. He said AAU experience had helped in that regard, but it wasn't the same game.

To further your point, The last McDonald's All-American was Brian Butch 2006

However, there has been some talent that signed with P5 schools recently:

Brevin Pritzl (De Pere) was the last kid from NEW to sign with a Power 5 school (Wisconsin 2015) 5th ranked kid in the stated behind Stone and Ellenson who will both be drafted this year.

Cohen (Seymour) with Marquette in 2014 (he also played more than 20 minutes last year)

Lowe was the top kid in NEW in 2013 signed with GB, so you win that year, if your argument is LC is out of the sample area, it defaults to Verhagen from Appleton who went to Eastern Illinois. Although, Moesch (GBSW) is a PWO at Wisconsin.

2012 - Dekker (Sheboygan to Wisconsin)

In the end, your comment felt like your stating most of the HS's in NEW still run the four corners offense and play Dick Bennett defense, in nut huggers. There's been some talent that has come out of here, albeit the last NBA player was Tony Bennett.

I hope that explains my position a little better.

Top Bottom