All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Yeah, I'm starting to think our absolute best case scenario is Oturu, Thomas, Kalscheur, and Llwellyn. Apparently Duke told Tre they prefer him over Garland.

Yeah, I'm starting to think our absolute best case scenario is Oturu, Thomas, Kalscheur, and Llwellyn. Apparently Duke told Tre they prefer him over Garland.

I still think we are recruiting better wings than Gabe so technically it's not our best case, but it would be a great look for future in state recruiting if we nabbed 3 players from Minnesota.

I still think we are recruiting better wings than Gabe so technically it's not our best case, but it would be a great look for future in state recruiting if we nabbed 3 players from Minnesota.

I agree with that. I'm just counting Gabe as a commit already, even though something could derail his seemingly impending commitment to Pitino.

I agree with that. I'm just counting Gabe as a commit already, even though something could derail his seemingly impending commitment to Pitino.

I gotcha. I honestly don't see him going anywhere else but here. We are his best offer and there haven't been any other P5 really showing love. It's kind of weird because people are comparing this to Hoff but Blake had offers from Notre Dame & Louisville also

I gotcha. I honestly don't see him going anywhere else but here. We are his best offer and there haven't been any other P5 really showing love. It's kind of weird because people are comparing this to Hoff but Blake had offers from Notre Dame & Louisville also

Maybe the ESPY helped his recruiting! Haha Although he might have been committed by the time he won that? I don't know.

I'm not sure Gabe is quite the shooter that Hoff was. If he is, then he's going to be a huge get!

Maybe the ESPY helped his recruiting! Haha Although he might have been committed by the time he won that? I don't know.

I'm not sure Gabe is quite the shooter that Hoff was. If he is, then he's going to be a huge get!

From what I see he's not but I have been impressed from his defense this summer. He has definitely improved to the point where he can guard the best player and shut them down. I've seen him do it a few times this summer. I wasn't a huge fan of his before seeing him do that this summer.

Jarvis is announcing Tuesday night and I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't a Gopher. If he does in fact pick the Gophers the roster for 18/19 looks like this as of now:
PG-Washington(SO)
SG-McBrayer(SR),Harris(SO)
SF-Coffey(JR),Hurt(JR),Fitzgerald(SR)
PF-Murphy(SR),Curry(JR),Thomas(FR)
C-Oturu(FR),Stockman(SR)
I could see taking another center like Hedstrom if you had a 5th scholarship available like you would have if Fitzgerald wouldn't have gotten a medical redshirt but not sure you wanna do that with 4. The way it seems like right now is Tre is obviously the top target and then after that it is a group of guys that are very good shooters like Kalscheur, Adams, Hunter, Nesmith, and Green(although seems likely he ends up at UNI). I think most feel it is pretty likely the Gophers end up with at least 1 of these shooters probably Kalscheur and then if Tre picks the Gophers you're set but if he picks somewhere else you have a few different options. Try to land another one of these shooters/combo guards and play Harris more as a backup PG as a Soph. Use Harris and McBrayer as the backup PGs and go after Hedstrom with your last scholarship. Or go hard after more true PGs that they have started to show more interest in like Liewellyn and Zegarowski. They also watched a couple different wings this past weekend so plenty of different ways they could go.

Oturu will not start at the 5 as freshman...He's 225 soak and wet right now and generously listed at 6'9". Stockman will be our starter at the beginning of the season with Curry manning the 5 in a small lineup.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Amateur fan here. Does Kalschuer have a similar game to Jamir Harris? Jarvis Thomas vs Jericho Sims (similar)? How many threes would we average with Kalschuer and Harris playing all game long?

Amateur fan here. Does Kalschuer have a similar game to Jamir Harris? Jarvis Thomas vs Jericho Sims (similar)? How many threes would we average with Kalschuer and Harris playing all game long?

They are similar in the sense that they both are shooters but are different kinds of shooters at the same time. I think Jamir offers a little more off the dribble and is ahead of Gabe as an on the move catch and shooter coming off screens and what not. That part of Gabe's game is still coming along but he seems to be a pretty good stationary catch and shooter and probably has more potential as a defender. There's been a lot of talk of Kalschuer holding his own on defense against some of the better guards in the EBYL. I think the hope is those guys can develop into similar players as Ryan Cline and Dakota Mathias of Purdue. Like Mathias, Gabe has the potential to be able to defend 3 positions depending on the matchup. While some view them as underwhelming takes you need those guys to win conference titles.

The recruiting intrigue at this point is basically which PG they end up with. They're gonna get Gabe, Tre most likely isn't coming here so I'm curious to see who they get with hat final spot. The Canadian had really emerged as far as our interest in the past few days

Outside of Tre, which PG does everyone prefer the most? Seems like we have 4-5 targets but no one is clearly "the guy"

I don't recall seeing this posted - it's Jarvis' commitment video. Very well done:

Go Gophers!!

Link that gives a good look at Sal Koureissi. Intriguing prospect, 6'9" SG with a nice looking stroke. Looks like he has some post-up game and has some ball handling skill as well. I can only imagine having a 6'9" shooting guard and the problems that would create for teams. Apparently Minnesota has offered.

https://itsovertime.com/sal-koureissi-college-offers

per Marcus:

Oturu’s potential might be the highest for a Gophers center out of high school since Joel Przybilla came to the U in 1998.

“I think Daniel Oturu is going to be a really good player,” said Evan Daniels, Scout.com’s director of basketball recruiting. “I like him as a prospect. I think he has a lot of upside. I think his best basketball days are ahead of him. He’s mobile. He’s long. He’s athletic. He goes to the glass and rebounds. He contests shots. That was a pretty significant pickup for Richard Pitino to get a guy like him early.”

Oturu and Thomas could be still growing, even after adding a couple inches in the past year. There’s no doubt they will also both get much bigger and stronger before college. Thomas is still just 16.

Thomas’ off-the-chart athleticism stands out more than anything. But playing consistently with a high motor is what allowed him to make an even greater impact this summer, Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi said.

“He’s always been athletic,” Bossi said. “He always had a motor. But it was an inconsistent one. Hot and cold. Never knew what you were going to get. But now I think he’s become more reliable. And you know the effort is more often than not going to be there. He’s finding different ways to be productive on top of just playing hard.”

http://www.startribune.com/daniel-o...uld-make-great-future-u-frontcourt/435679763/

Go Gophers!!

So if we get Gabe we have 3 of the best players from Mn. That leaves Tre to make us all Mn proud! Flip Saunders Mn Pride made Tyus a 1st round pick and put him in a great position with the Twolves. He is positioned to have a great season this year. Mn pride in our own matters. Tre make Minny your choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if we get Gabe we have 3 of the best players from Mn. That leaves Tre to make us all Mn proud! Flip Saunders Mn Pride made Tyus a 1st round pick and put him in a great position with the Twolves. He is positioned to have a great season this year. Mn pride in our own matters. Tre make Minny your choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can tell this was posted at 3:17 AM

Any chance Sal commits tomorrow so we can revoke Gabe's offer?
Wouldn't be surprised if Gabe has already committed to Pitino like Jarvis did last week. Whether he officially committed to the staff already or whether he tells them Tuesday the staff will be very happy because besides Tre Gabe is at the top of the priority list right now.

We can take both. If we don't get Tre. Dupree or Coffey can handle the ball for 8-10 minutes

I agree with you here. We should fill out the class with the best guard or wing that we can get, we don't necessarily need to take a PG if that means we pass on a better player at a different position. Also think Gabe could play some spot minutes at the point if needed, he seems to be very steady with the rock and a capable defender. Dupree can be a bit erratic with the ball at times, and Amir has a bit of trouble with ball pressure - so in worst case scenario if Isaiah is in foul trouble and the opposition is playing full court pressure, Gabe could step in and get the ball across half court dependably.

Of course the ideal is to have a good backup PG though. As we learned this past year, it can be tough when you only have 1 dude who can distribute.

I agree with you here. We should fill out the class with the best guard or wing that we can get, we don't necessarily need to take a PG if that means we pass on a better player at a different position. Also think Gabe could play some spot minutes at the point if needed, he seems to be very steady with the rock and a capable defender. Dupree can be a bit erratic with the ball at times, and Amir has a bit of trouble with ball pressure - so in worst case scenario if Isaiah is in foul trouble and the opposition is playing full court pressure, Gabe could step in and get the ball across half court dependably.

Of course the ideal is to have a good backup PG though. As we learned this past year, it can be tough when you only have 1 dude who can distribute.
Harris is a guy who looked very comfortable at PG when he played there during AAU and the little he played there during the high school season.

Go Gophers!!

Would Gabe really be the 2nd best ballhandler on the team the second he sets foot on campus? Or third if we take a point guard with the 4th scholarship? I feel like this is the first I've heard of him having any ability to even play backup point guard.

Go Gophers!!

Just saw this on twitter. Seems like a fairly high level commit for an Ivy League team.

Top Bottom