All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

On my way there tomorrow, starts Wednesday. This class is late as a whole but it really picks up after this. Only bits of the dominoes have started to fall but soon you will see some of the renowned players stake their place with only a select few waiting until spring. There have been some really late risers that have moved way up on their offer list. Still others that will grab new big offers at Jam.

On my way there tomorrow, starts Wednesday. This class is late as a whole but it really picks up after this. Only bits of the dominoes have started to fall but soon you will see some of the renowned players stake their place with only a select few waiting until spring. There have been some really late risers that have moved way up on their offer list. Still others that will grab new big offers at Jam.

You go there on your own dime?

per Marcus:

The Gophers 2018 class has the potential to be the best yet for Minnesota coach Richard Pitino, who will get a good look at his top targets with his staff this week at the start of the most important recruiting stretch of the year.

The July evaluation period for Division I basketball coaches begins Wednesday with Nike, Adidas and Under Armour events hosting top players from across the country.

Pitino and his assistants Ben Johnson, Kimani Young and Ed Conroy will be in South Carolina and Georgia through Saturday to follow several AAU teams, including top local squads like Howard Pulley at the Nike Peach Jam and D1 Minnesota at the Adidas Gauntlet Finale.

TOP 10 GOPHERS 2018 TARGETS FOR JULY

Tre Jones 6-2 PG Howard Pulley (Apple Valley, MN)

Race Thompson 6-8 SF/PF D1 Minnesota (Armstrong, MN)

Gabe Kalscheur 6-4 SG Howard Pulley (DeLaSalle, MN)

Eric Hunter Jr. 6-3 PG/SG Team Harris (Tindley Academy, IN)

Joshua LeBlanc 6-7 PF Louisiana Elite (Madison Prep, LA)

A.J. Green 6-3 SG Iowa Barnstormers (Cedar Falls, IA)

Jarvis Thomas 6-7 PF Howard Pulley (Orono, MN)

Jake Forrester 6-8 PF PSA Cardinals (Westtown School, PA)

Jeenathan Williams 6-6 SF Albany City Rocks (University Prep, NY)

Keyontae Johnson 6-6 SF Boo Williams (IMG Academy, FL)

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-co...ly-evaluation-period/433672773/?section=blogs

Go Gophers!!

No, i am compensated. Glad to do it as there are 75 difference makers between the Jam and Gauntlet. very very deep class.

Gabe had 23 tonight in a win over #3 seed Mokan Elite. Went 5-8 from 3. Oturu had 14 and 8. Jarvis Thomas only had 4 points, 3 rebounds.

I found it a bit odd that Pitino was in Milwaukee watching Joseph Hedstrom instead of being down at the Peach Jam yesterday.

I found it a bit odd that Pitino was in Milwaukee watching Joseph Hedstrom instead of being down at the Peach Jam yesterday.

Especially considering Hedstrom is a 2018 center and we already have a center committed and two local PF's offered and will only be able to take one more big. Maybe if he was a 2019 guy it'd be different. I'm sure there are other guys that he is watching too though but still weird especially considering all the other guys that we've offered in the Peach Jam.

Any chance Hedstrom is interested in walking on? It looks like he doesn't even have a Rivals profile, and his offers are places like NDSU/Loyola/USD/DU.

He could probably have a chance at some playing time in 2019 when Lynch/Konate/Murphy/Stockman are all gone, and Curry/Oturu/Race or Jarvis+any 2019 recruits will be our only big men available.

per Marcus:

NEW BIG MAN INTEREST

Gophers coach Richard Pitino and assistant Ben Johnson opened the July evaluation period Wednesday at the NY2LA tournament in Milwaukee watching 6-11 center Joe Hedstrom play with the Minnesota Comets. Hedstrom, a senior at Hopkins, doesn’t have a Minnesota offer. But he has seen interest pick up from the Gophers this summer. Pitino could be looking to add another center in the 2018 recruiting class to join Oturu, who can play both post positions. The Gophers lose seniors Reggie Lynch, Bakary Konate and Gaston Diedhiou after the 2017-18 season. Louisville’s 7-foot transfer Matz Stockman only has one year of eligibility after sitting out.

http://www.startribune.com/could-gophers-target-race-thompson-be-deciding-soon/434347943/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

NEW BIG MAN INTEREST

Gophers coach Richard Pitino and assistant Ben Johnson opened the July evaluation period Wednesday at the NY2LA tournament in Milwaukee watching 6-11 center Joe Hedstrom play with the Minnesota Comets. Hedstrom, a senior at Hopkins, doesn’t have a Minnesota offer. But he has seen interest pick up from the Gophers this summer. Pitino could be looking to add another center in the 2018 recruiting class to join Oturu, who can play both post positions. The Gophers lose seniors Reggie Lynch, Bakary Konate and Gaston Diedhiou after the 2017-18 season. Louisville’s 7-foot transfer Matz Stockman only has one year of eligibility after sitting out.

http://www.startribune.com/could-gophers-target-race-thompson-be-deciding-soon/434347943/

Go Gophers!!

Idk if maybe it was only mentioned on the pay boards, but I'm pretty sure there's been interest in Joe Hedstrom for a few months at least.

Really a smart move on JL as it is his best offer close to home and family in Ontario

Hedstrom has been on the radar for a while, but very much a plan X/Y/Z guy as I understood it. For example, if a 5th scholarship opened up the Gophers would be interested in Hedstrom or Brady Helman out of Nebraska as a redshirt candidate/project C.

Anyone surprised that Gabe hasn't picked up any new offers with his consistent play and scoring ability on one of the best EYBL teams? I kind of felt that he would definitely reel in a couple more offers over this summer, even if they were middle of the road P5 schools.

This kid hasn't even scratched his ability yet. A real late bloomer who needs to become stronger, more aggressive and confident but he is big and athletic.

Anyone surprised that Gabe hasn't picked up any new offers with his consistent play and scoring ability on one of the best EYBL teams? I kind of felt that he would definitely reel in a couple more offers over this summer, even if they were middle of the road P5 schools.

I don't follow it closely, but yes I am very surprised that performance like that hasn't drawn more attention. Some here have spoken of lack of quickness being a problem. Maybe other teams are backing off because they see him as a lock for the Gophers. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll forgive a guy who might be a little slow, but can shoot. He might not be able to play 35 minutes a game, but there has to be room for a player who can put the three in consistently.

I don't follow it closely, but yes I am very surprised that performance like that hasn't drawn more attention. Some here have spoken of lack of quickness being a problem. Maybe other teams are backing off because they see him as a lock for the Gophers. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll forgive a guy who might be a little slow, but can shoot. He might not be able to play 35 minutes a game, but there has to be room for a player who can put the three in consistently.

Very well said. Especially in an offense like Pitino's offense that (currently and usually) has multiple other perimeter players that are good athletes and can get to the hoop. Who knows maybe after the Peach Jam he will get more offers. If not I would be fine with him coming here as we haven't had an excellent 3 point shooter in the Pitino era really

If we land him I hope that he is related to Doug Llewellyn.

"Don't take the law into your own hands-take 'em to court.".....Judge Wapner is smiling down on you for that one.

Very well said. Especially in an offense like Pitino's offense that (currently and usually) has multiple other perimeter players that are good athletes and can get to the hoop. Who knows maybe after the Peach Jam he will get more offers. If not I would be fine with him coming here as we haven't had an excellent 3 point shooter in the Pitino era really

Well, I don't see him getting a lot of new big time offers after Peach Jam. I followed Pulley closely throughout Peach Jam and saw some of the games on FloHoops. You can find these stats on the Peach Jam website.

Last five games at Peach Jam his stats were as follows:
0 points, 0/2 from three
6 points, 1/9 from three
4 points, 1/6 from three
14 points, 3/9 from three
1 point, 0/4 from three

Not saying to base everything about Gabe on this tournament but I thought it would be worth pointing out.

Keep an eye on Shae Mitchell. Sounds like he had a very good tournament this weekend. I think he is very underrated nationally. I absolutely love his game.
If anyone has any input on him I'd love to hear more thoughts.

Hopefully we get Jarvis today. We need an athletic grit type defender who is willing to do the dirty work. (John Thomas, Dusty Rychart with more athleticism)

That would leave our top targets as Tre and Gab for the other two slots.
Tre is a no-brainer and we would all be thrilled about seeing him and Jelly share the backcourt.

That being said, with three guards sophomore and below and one more year of McBrayer, wouldn't we be better off looking for another big or a SF?

Unless Gabe is THAT GOOD of a shooter.

Well, I don't see him getting a lot of new big time offers after Peach Jam. I followed Pulley closely throughout Peach Jam and saw some of the games on FloHoops. You can find these stats on the Peach Jam website.

Last five games at Peach Jam his stats were as follows:
0 points, 0/2 from three
6 points, 1/9 from three
4 points, 1/6 from three
14 points, 3/9 from three
1 point, 0/4 from three

Not saying to base everything about Gabe on this tournament but I thought it would be worth pointing out.

I didn't hear that he struggled that much, but based on those stats, yes you are right I shouldn't be surprised that he hasn't gotten any new offers after the Peach Jam. I still wonder why he doesn't have more offers though. He is the second leading scorer on a one of the best AAU teams in the country, and he has played well against other top teams earlier in the season.

Keep an eye on Shae Mitchell. Sounds like he had a very good tournament this weekend. I think he is very underrated nationally. I absolutely love his game.
If anyone has any input on him I'd love to hear more thoughts.

He's a mid major kid. Can't really handle and his J isn't consistent. He is also goes MIA for long stretches.

Hopefully we get Jarvis today. We need an athletic grit type defender who is willing to do the dirty work. (John Thomas, Dusty Rychart with more athleticism)

That would leave our top targets as Tre and Gab for the other two slots.
Tre is a no-brainer and we would all be thrilled about seeing him and Jelly share the backcourt.

That being said, with three guards sophomore and below and one more year of McBrayer, wouldn't we be better off looking for another big or a SF?

Unless Gabe is THAT GOOD of a shooter.
Jarvis is announcing Tuesday night and I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't a Gopher. If he does in fact pick the Gophers the roster for 18/19 looks like this as of now:
PG-Washington(SO)
SG-McBrayer(SR),Harris(SO)
SF-Coffey(JR),Hurt(JR),Fitzgerald(SR)
PF-Murphy(SR),Curry(JR),Thomas(FR)
C-Oturu(FR),Stockman(SR)
I could see taking another center like Hedstrom if you had a 5th scholarship available like you would have if Fitzgerald wouldn't have gotten a medical redshirt but not sure you wanna do that with 4. The way it seems like right now is Tre is obviously the top target and then after that it is a group of guys that are very good shooters like Kalscheur, Adams, Hunter, Nesmith, and Green(although seems likely he ends up at UNI). I think most feel it is pretty likely the Gophers end up with at least 1 of these shooters probably Kalscheur and then if Tre picks the Gophers you're set but if he picks somewhere else you have a few different options. Try to land another one of these shooters/combo guards and play Harris more as a backup PG as a Soph. Use Harris and McBrayer as the backup PGs and go after Hedstrom with your last scholarship. Or go hard after more true PGs that they have started to show more interest in like Liewellyn and Zegarowski. They also watched a couple different wings this past weekend so plenty of different ways they could go.

Top Bottom