All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

For this team to reach its high point, Washington needs to step up and we need to add a 3&d guy. If iWashington stepping up is too iffy though, we should play it safe and take a point with the last scholarship. I’d rather roll the dice with Washington and an Akeem Springs type player - higher risk but high reward.

For this team to reach its high point, Washington needs to step up and we need to add a 3&d guy. If iWashington stepping up is too iffy though, we should play it safe and take a point with the last scholarship. I’d rather roll the dice with Washington and an Akeem Springs type player - higher risk but high reward.
Not many of those guys still out there.

Gabe Kalscheur will be a 3 and D. Obviously Oturu is who I’m most excited about coming in next year but I think Gabe is going to be nice

Ryan James tweeted that Brock Stull is on a visit right now to Minnesota, and was at Valparaiso over the weekend. Seems pretty quick with Bandoo committing like 12 hours ago, but hopefully it’s a sign that Stull sees reuniting with Jeter at a power 5 school as a can’t miss opportunity.

Ryan James tweeted that Brock Stull is on a visit right now to Minnesota, and was at Valparaiso over the weekend. Seems pretty quick with Bandoo committing like 12 hours ago, but hopefully it’s a sign that Stull sees reuniting with Jeter at a power 5 school as a can’t miss opportunity.

I would assume that we'd hear about a commitment from Stull in the not too distant future assuming the Gophers are willing to take his commitment now. What a strange recruitment cycle with him visiting Valparaiso(!) last weekend after previously visiting Xavier with reported interest from schools like Virginia and NC State as well. I don't know if I should read that as schools simply filled up and he was left without a sport or schools did more research and weren't that excited about him?

I would assume that we'd hear about a commitment from Stull in the not too distant future assuming the Gophers are willing to take his commitment now. What a strange recruitment cycle with him visiting Valparaiso(!) last weekend after previously visiting Xavier with reported interest from schools like Virginia and NC State as well. I don't know if I should read that as schools simply filled up and he was left without a sport or schools did more research and weren't that excited about him?

Interesting questions. It sure would be fun to be a fly on the wall of a recruiting discussion in a coaches meeting in Pitino’s office. In any case, I would be glad to get him at this point, warts and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yikes...spring recruiting sure keeps you on your heels! lets hope we hear a commitment from Stull in the next couple days!!

Stull was the guy I wanted. Thank you Baylor.

Stull is the perfect fit. 1 year left...quality guard.....and we have a scholarship :)

Brock Stull would be perfect. If we somehow land him we would be a very competitive team.

Stull is the perfect fit. 1 year left...quality guard.....and we have a scholarship :)

In looking at his numbers last season at UW-Milwaukee, he would be more than a solid addition and depth. Wherever he goes, he's looking to start. He played nearly 36 minutes per game last year, so he didn't come out much. He shot 38% from 3, and at 6-4 grabbed almost 4 rebounds a game. He was their second-best shooter, and we need shooters.

Just saw some of his highlights from the 2016-17 season, dude has good handles and a nice looking shot. Sure looks like he would be a very good addition to a squad that needs another ball-handler and shooter. Let's hope Pitino and the facilities are enough for him on his visit.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is going to come off as sour grapes but Stull just seemed to make more sense from a longish term roster perspective. Bandoo seems to be more of a combo guard and with that in mind you would go into the 19-20 season with four 2 guards with Carr, Willis and Gabe that just didn't make a ton of sense. In this situation you add Stull while Willis and maybe Carr sit out a year then you can go grab your more true point guard in the 2019 class with Stull's scholly. Maybe Bandoo's the far superior prospect but if we end up with Stull I'll be glad it shook out that way.

This is going to come off as sour grapes but Stull just seemed to make more sense from a longish term roster perspective. Bandoo seems to be more of a combo guard and with that in mind you would go into the 19-20 season with four 2 guards with Carr, Willis and Gabe that just didn't make a ton of sense. In this situation you add Stull while Willis and maybe Carr sit out a year then you can go grab your more true point guard in the 2019 class with Stull's scholly. Maybe Bandoo's the far superior prospect but if we end up with Stull I'll be glad it shook out that way.

Same here. For roster balance purposes, I think a grad transfer is a much better fit than a juco.

Pitino is on a roll.

If I'm Stull and have equal opportunities elsewhere, I'd tell the U to go fly a kite after stalling to see if a prettier prom date became available. Xavier is a much better program anyway. Don't know why a one year transfer wouldn't want to go play in the tourny somewhere, as opposed to bottom-barrel B1G program where the NIT is a "maybe if things fall our way."

I get the feeling that things are getting away from Pitino a bit, here.

This was my mindset too. After taking on Willis and Carr (I'm going to assume hes' sitting out), I thought a grad transfer was really the way to go.

between IW, Amir, and Dupree, I think he could play 20 minutes a game off the bench. I don't think he would be a starter.

Pitino is on a roll.

If I'm Stull and have equal opportunities elsewhere, I'd tell the U to go fly a kite after stalling to see if a prettier prom date became available. Xavier is a much better program anyway. Don't know why a one year transfer wouldn't want to go play in the tourny somewhere, as opposed to bottom-barrel B1G program where the NIT is a "maybe if things fall our way."

So if you were Stull you would spend your final year at a program that lost its coach and top 3 scorers? IF you want to make the NCAA tourney, you would actually have a better chance at Minnesota. There are plenty of better 1 year options than Minnesota, this year, Xavier is not one of them.

so correct me if I'm wrong on this....
but scholarship breakdown as of now is as follows.
2019-Murphy, Pree, Max
2020-Coffey, Hurt
2021-IW, Curry, Willis
2020-Carr, Gabe, Jarvis, Oturu

Pitino is on a roll.

I don't think he's been that bad at recruiting. He's taken some shots at some big time recruits which has been fun. He's been way better than Monson, and while Tubby started off hot!, his recruiting was not so great toward the end.

Too be honest, I expected better from him in recruiting because of the name and the relationships I assumed he had. The actual coaching was what I was worried from at the beginning. But while not top 10 ten type recruiting, he's still been pretty good. It's a shame him or another coach couldnt have come a year sooner so he maybe could have nabbed Travis or JP

So if you were Stull you would spend your final year at a program that lost its coach and top 3 scorers? IF you want to make the NCAA tourney, you would actually have a better chance at Minnesota. There are plenty of better 1 year options than Minnesota, this year, Xavier is not one of them.

Spot on. If he wants guaranteed minutes on teams that probably won't make the NCAA tournament then Xavier and Valpo are your choices. If you want a chance at the NCAA tournament you come to Minnesota. He would still be the first guard off the bench ala Akeem Springs and average 24 minutes a game.

This isn't meant to be a shot at either program, but Valpo was last in the MVC last year and Xavier has to replace 5 of it's top 7 players. Obviously Xavier has been the better program recently, but I believe they're in serious rebuild mode.

I like Pree coming off the bench honestly, filling in as either a 1 or 2. Jelly and Stull would be a sweet starting back court. Add in the guys up from in Coffey/Murphy/Curry, that's a nice team competing for a NCAA spot. We would be deep as well, finally: Oturu, Stockman, Pree, Hurt as well.

I don't think he's been that bad at recruiting. He's taken some shots at some big time recruits which has been fun. He's been way better than Monson, and while Tubby started off hot!, his recruiting was not so great toward the end.

Too be honest, I expected better from him in recruiting because of the name and the relationships I assumed he had. The actual coaching was what I was worried from at the beginning. But while not top 10 ten type recruiting, he's still been pretty good. It's a shame him or another coach couldnt have come a year sooner so he maybe could have nabbed Travis or JP

Pitino has been pretty good on recruiting. He needs to win a couple of years in a row...and look out, he would be better than good.

The bottom line is that no coach since Dutcher in the late 1970s and Mussy before him, have been able to lure 5* players from outside of the state to Minny and precious few 4* players either. The combination of our up and down history and lack of first division finishes in the BT, coupled with our nasty weather has made it difficult to impossible even for brand name coaches.

Haskins got Vo Leonard and Courtney James as top 50 out of staters and not much more. Bobby Jackson- juco.
Monson got zero out of state highly rated talent.
Tubby got Andre Hollins.

That's all I can remember for 4* and 5 * maybe someone else can fill in a few more names but it has been slim pickings for the past 40 years from outside of Minnesota.

Pitino has been pretty good on recruiting. He needs to win a couple of years in a row...and look out, he would be better than good.

The bottom line is that no coach since Dutcher in the late 1970s and Mussy before him, have been able to lure 5* players from outside of the state to Minny and precious few 4* players either. The combination of our up and down history and lack of first division finishes in the BT, coupled with our nasty weather has made it difficult to impossible even for brand name coaches.

Haskins got Vo Leonard and Courtney James as top 50 out of staters and not much more. Bobby Jackson- juco.
Tubby got Andre Hollins.

That's all I can remember for 4* and 5 * maybe someone else can fill in a few more names but it has been slim pickings for the past 40 years from outside of Minnesota.

Jayson Walton and Randy Carter were close. Let’s land Stull to wrap up 2018 and move on.
I still believe we haven’t heard the last of Carr’s eligibility, no info just a hunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tubby got Andre Hollins.

Randy Carter, Arriel McDonald, Jayson Walton were all top 100 players that in today's language would have been 4 star. Charles Thomas may have been close, too. Quincy Lewis definitely.

Xavier has made the NCAA Tournament 16 out of the last 18 years under 4 different coaches. I'm sure this is the year the wheels come off, though.

I like Pree coming off the bench honestly, filling in as either a 1 or 2. Jelly and Stull would be a sweet starting back court. Add in the guys up from in Coffey/Murphy/Curry, that's a nice team competing for a NCAA spot. We would be deep as well, finally: Oturu, Stockman, Pree, Hurt as well.

Why would Stull start over Dupree. His numbers are good but he played for a bad Wisc Milwaukee team in a weak conference. There is no guarantee he can guard at this level or he will shoot as good of a percentage versus big ten competition on a nightly basis.

Top Bottom