All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Purdue and Butler are the leaders, but Xavier would be as well if they decided to push for it. I don't think there's much of a left over percentage beyond that
RJ is fairly bullish on Hunter. Basically said if he decides to get away from home that it will be for Minnesota.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Brian Snow said, just yesterday, that its going to be a toss up between Butler and Purdue.

The only thing that would alter that is if Xavier decided to push for him, but they won't

So assuming Hunter and Zegarowski are out of the equation (seems like that is certainly the case) who do we turn toward for our final scolly? Stick to PG or get the best player possible regardless of position?

So assuming Hunter and Zegarowski are out of the equation (seems like that is certainly the case) who do we turn toward for our final scolly? Stick to PG or get the best player possible regardless of position?
Grad transfer? Regular transfer? (Spitballing - I realize it's still pretty early.)

Grad transfer? Regular transfer? (Spitballing - I realize it's still pretty early.)

I don't think its the worst idea to have a certain standard of recruit. If you dont get them, bank it for a transfer or bigger freshman class the following year.

They need the best PG available. If Washington is 1 and done or gets hurt, then we will be in big trouble.

Anthony Nelson, maybe Brendan Adams are still options and should be gettable if we really want them.

Was there something that came out that said Zegarowski was unlikely?

I don't think its the worst idea to have a certain standard of recruit. If you dont get them, bank it for a transfer or bigger freshman class the following year.

I'd prefer to hang onto it than to get someone just to get someone

Was there something that came out that said Zegarowski was unlikely?

He said he would likely end up making a commitment without taking his official visits, and I'm pretty sure he has never been here. He has unofficially visited both Creighton and Washington, and Creighton is believed to be the favorite. Washington's new head coach was an assistant at Syracuse when his brother, Michael Carter-Williams, was being recruited, so there's some prior connection there.

They need the best PG available. If Washington is 1 and done or gets hurt, then we will be in big trouble.

I think it would be pretty out of the ordinary for a 6'0" point guard ranked outside the top 50 to be one and done. We would still have McBrayer and maybe Coffey could run the point too, also Harris if his ball handling ability is up to snuff as a sophomore. It's not like we won't have any ball handlers behind Washington. I can see the need for a point guard, but I also don't think we're screwed if we take the best player available instead.

I don't think we need to worry about Washington being a one and done. And if we do, that means he is having one heck of a season which probably means our team is also having a spectacular season. And if that's the case, I'd say just enjoy the ride and we'll figure the rest out later.

Agreed - We need more depth at the position

I still have nightmares about Kevin Payton, Maverick, Chip and Blake all getting significant minutes at PG during the Tubby era

I think it's extremely important to get a PG in the class but I'm also in the camp that I really don't want to force taking another guy if the talent isn't there. I'll be honest, of the guys we've been linked to recently/still. It's pretty much Hunter, Zegarowski or Hinton for me otherwise, I'd hold out.

I suppose it depends on if there's any JUCO guards out there. I really don't like the JUCO route for basketball but it wouldn't be the worst thing if we could find one there like a Mathieu or even a guy we recruited a few years ago but didn't land in Josh Gray. Just examples that they can be found and it wouldn't mess up classes or anything. I'd like to avoid this though.

Basically, I'm no help at all.

I think it's extremely important to get a PG in the class but I'm also in the camp that I really don't want to force taking another guy if the talent isn't there. I'll be honest, of the guys we've been linked to recently/still. It's pretty much Hunter, Zegarowski or Hinton for me otherwise, I'd hold out.

I suppose it depends on if there's any JUCO guards out there. I really don't like the JUCO route for basketball but it wouldn't be the worst thing if we could find one there like a Mathieu or even a guy we recruited a few years ago but didn't land in Josh Gray. Just examples that they can be found and it wouldn't mess up classes or anything. I'd like to avoid this though.

Basically, I'm no help at all.

Nelson put up solid numbers in the EYBL, I'd be fine with him and wouldn't consider him a reach or just another body.

I think it would be pretty out of the ordinary for a 6'0" point guard ranked outside the top 50 to be one and done. We would still have McBrayer and maybe Coffey could run the point too, also Harris if his ball handling ability is up to snuff as a sophomore. It's not like we won't have any ball handlers behind Washington. I can see the need for a point guard, but I also don't think we're screwed if we take the best player available instead.

Did you watch Coffey handle the ball last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you watch Coffey handle the ball last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was a freshman, we're talking about his junior year here. I thought Pitino said they really hadn't even given him much run at point in practice last year. With all the talk during his recruitment of him playing point guard, it seems possible that by the time he is a junior, he could handle the point for 10 minutes a game in a theoretical situation where Washington is injured and presumably McBrayer is playing point for most of the game.

There were times when Coffey struggled with the ball on the perimeter, but in terms of getting the ball up the court and getting an offense set up I think he'd be fine. He looked more comfortable in a press break situation than Dupree did (remember Iowa at home?). I think he mainly gets in trouble when he has a physical match up on the wing and he tries to do too much with the ball. Hopefully he will continue to improve his ball handling / first step on the perimeter, he needs to be able to beat defenders one on one on the perimeter if he wants to take the next (NBA). Right now he mostly relies on screens / offense swinging him the ball when he's on the weak side for him to get the space he needs to get a head of steam going to the basket.

Most perimeter players can handle the ball versus token defense. But get someone with junkyard dog mentality defending you and it quickly reveals who can really handle the ball. Barely pass that test or fail and here comes the traps at half court ala Iowa last year and you are totally exposed as unreliable as a ball handler. Coaches do pay attention, another team along the way will use the blueprint and double down with their pressure at a critical point and steal the game from you if you don't have reliable ball handlers. I think we are in good shape this year but imo we do need another excellent ball handler. Hunter is not that on the tape I watched but maybe he has become or can become that. My point is, at some point I think we need another ball handler for 2018. (You don't necessarily get exposed on the first couple possessions...there is definitely a mental toughness that goes along with even well skilled ball handlers. Some guys overheat and crumble under defensive pressure...even if they are two ball dribbling wizards.) In other words, it's not just the ball handling ability but also the ability to stay calm, have great vision, see a play ahead and make great decisions. That's a special person...you can't develop all that in just anybody.

Yep agreed. You can never have enough competent ball handlers and I hope we land one with remaining scholarship. My point was more focused on the fact that Coffey can at least be serviceable if there are no other options albeit not ideal. We are talking about 2 years out, and I very much doubt we will be in a position we will need to rely heavily on Coffey as a PG.

Oturu measured 6'8.5 with a 7'2 wingspan at the Nike skills camp.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, maybe I missed it... is there any reason to assume Zegarowski is out or just playing hypotheticals?

Just out of curiosity, maybe I missed it... is there any reason to assume Zegarowski is out or just playing hypotheticals?

It's not like we're for sure out of it, but he's never visited here, and said he probably won't take his officials before committing. He has visited both Creighton and Washington unofficially and 247 seems to think Creighton is the favorite. Someone else asked the same question a few days ago, my reply is on the previous page of this thread, and Zegarowski also did an interview with Rivals which someone linked probably within the last week.

https://twitter.com/Marcus_R_Fuller/status/897993024491446272

Not quite on the 7'-4" wing span. Mbakwe is 6'-8" with shoes and a 7'-4" wingspan.

Still good size.

per Shooter:

The Gophers men’s basketball team on Thursday offered a tender to 6-foot-10 junior Daniel Oturo from Cretin-Derham Hall. The highly athletic Oturo, who is from Woodbury, has a 7-4 wingspan and should be among the top 100 juniors when national rankings come out soon. Michigan State, Kansas and Providence also have interest.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/0...berwolves-could-be-in-line-for-25m-contracts/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom