All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I would imagine grad transfer recruiting will pick up as more teams finish their seasons.

Jucos are also possible and Juco recruiting can tend to be a little more quiet.

6’5”, 21 points a game, 3.8 rebounds, 42% from 3. Probably a tough one to get.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Ramey and Simons. It's amazing how different it would feel if the Gophers were still playing like almost everybody projected them to be. From selling a successful program the past two seasons with clear playing time and, more importantly, shots available for a guard to trying to convince someone to come help a team that had one of the worst seasons in program history and a coach on the hot seat (not relevant to grad transfers, but to everyone else). This still could be a good team next year, maybe even a very good team, but trying to convince someone to be that missing piece is going to be a lot more difficult.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Ramey and Simons. It's amazing how different it would feel if the Gophers were still playing like almost everybody projected them to be. From selling a successful program the past two seasons with clear playing time and, more importantly, shots available for a guard to trying to convince someone to come help a team that had one of the worst seasons in program history and a coach on the hot seat (not relevant to grad transfers, but to everyone else). This still could be a good team next year, maybe even a very good team, but trying to convince someone to be that missing piece is going to be a lot more difficult.

My gut tells me we won't have trouble getting a good transfer. We are in the Big Ten, so that will be a draw to some kids currently in the Midwest but at a mid major. Grad transfers could care less about job security and a transfer wants playing time, which if a guard, is available. I don't think its hard to explain away the season to injuries, etc and show the "loaded" roster returning (coach speak). Lastly, if they get a transfer candidate on campus, the new athletes village is insane, its actually one of the best in the country.

Time will tell, but I don't think all is lost.

My gut tells me we won't have trouble getting a good transfer. We are in the Big Ten, so that will be a draw to some kids currently in the Midwest but at a mid major. Grad transfers could care less about job security and a transfer wants playing time, which if a guard, is available. I don't think its hard to explain away the season to injuries, etc and show the "loaded" roster returning (coach speak). Lastly, if they get a transfer candidate on campus, the new athletes village is insane, its actually one of the best in the country.

We should end up with a decent player for final spot. I'm not worried. I hope we don't use it for a transfer who isn't eligible right away though.

Well, I would say that the evidence points to you being mostly correct. After all, we got Springs after an 8 win season.

The fact that Minnesota would be considered pretty iffy to make the NCAA tournament would be a drawback but the promise of more or less guaranteed playing time (for a guard) and national television exposure are big pluses.

per Bossi:

TAI STRICKLAND IN THE MIDST OF VISITS
The son of former NBA standout point guard Rod Strickland, three-star senior point guard Tai Strickland has built a name for himself and is emerging as one of the most sought-after floor generals left in the class of 2018.

The 6-foot-2 senior from St. Petersburg (Fla.) just wrapped up a visit to Wisconsin and though he's not released any official list of finalists, it is starting to look like a strong possibility that Strickland will end up in the Big Ten.

Next weekend, Strickland will visit Rutgers and after that he could take a visit to Minnesota. A commitment before the Rutgers visit would be a bit surprising, but there is a chance a decision could come after the trip to New Jersey. If not, along with Minnesota others like DePaul, Georgetown, UMass and more have been in touch.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/starting-five--386

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Interesting to hear Coach Pitino on the radio yesterday say he's talked with players, and doesn't foresee anyone leaving the program before next season. Don't think he would say publicly if someone was planning on leaving anyway, but he sounded like he's confident everyone that can be will be back. If that's true, then there's only 1 open scholarship. You would have to think he'd be inclined to pursue a grad transfer guard over an incoming freshman, if nothing else to have an experience player in key situations next season.

Curious to see how it all shakes out.

Interesting to hear Coach Pitino on the radio yesterday say he's talked with players, and doesn't foresee anyone leaving the program before next season. Don't think he would say publicly if someone was planning on leaving anyway, but he sounded like he's confident everyone that can be will be back. If that's true, then there's only 1 open scholarship. You would have to think he'd be inclined to pursue a grad transfer guard over an incoming freshman, if nothing else to have an experience player in key situations next season.

Curious to see how it all shakes out.

I'm pretty sure he would take Simmons or Raymey over a grad transfer. Simmons would most likely be a one and done so essentially the same thing.

We should end up with a decent player for final spot. I'm not worried. I hope we don't use it for a transfer who isn't eligible right away though.

I think Richard learned his lesson on that one. We don't have enough depth to be taking a non-playing transfer. The Stockman decision will haunt him for a long time, especially if he doesn't produce much next season. I would shocked if they brought in a player who was not immediately eligible.

Tai Strickland announced a final 3 of Minnesota, Rutgers, and Wisconsin.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Just watched some of his videos, for what they're worth. Seems like a very smart player, always under control. Looks like he would fit the floor general mode. Really nice looking outside shot. Definitely has point guard handles. Was expecting less as his 247 score is low and I know he hasn't been recruited heavily until just lately - was wondering if we were settling.
Off the top of my head, Wisconsin has King, Trice, Davison at guard so should be at least as much playing time available for us. Wisconsin also doesn't have a very highly rated recruiting class coming in next year, which might also be in our favor.

Having said all that, would still prefer a grad transfer this year as I think next year's team might be on the verge, and get a freshman point next year.

I'll be bummed if we sign Strickland.

Would much prefer a grad transfer PG this year, and to sign Tyrell Terry in 2019 (who I think is a much better prospect than Strickland is).

I'll be bummed if we sign Strickland.

Would much prefer a grad transfer PG this year, and to sign Tyrell Terry in 2019 (who I think is a much better prospect than Strickland is).

Important to bring someone in who can contribute significantly immediately, I think. Grad transfer or highly rated freshman. Point guard is a priority, but if a productive rotation player at another position is willing, I think we try for that.

Anfernee Simons has picked up a few Memphis predictions in the crystal ball since Penny Hardaway was hired. I saw a Memphis fan on reddit opine that Simons is either going to Memphis or going pro.

Honest question- when/who was the last high school player we added as a spring signee that truly worked out for us?

How about recently though?

Akeem Springs

Murphy was a 2015 recruit. Fitzgerald and Gilbert were also spring signings in that class. I think Springs and Stockman have been the only spring signings since then.

Akeem Springs

Murphy was a 2015 recruit. Fitzgerald and Gilbert were also spring signings in that class. I think Springs and Stockman have been the only spring signings since then.

I was being sarcastic (forgot my /s)

What we need now is a transfer combo guard that can play lights out defense. He could back up both guards and give the coach a lot of flexibility by moving McBrayer around. We lost at Wisconsin in OT when they had 2 guards total 39 points. We can't have that. We need someone that can consistently defend the other teams best guard.

Akeem Springs

Springs was a grad transfer.

Good shout on Murph though- I'd blanked on the fortunate circumstances that allowed us to land him (Shaka leaving VCU).

Springs was a grad transfer.

Good shout on Murph though- I'd blanked on the fortunate circumstances that allowed us to land him (Shaka leaving VCU).

Whoops, just saw “spring signee” and glossed over “high school player.”

Important to bring someone in who can contribute significantly immediately, I think. Grad transfer or highly rated freshman. Point guard is a priority, but if a productive rotation player at another position is willing, I think we try for that.

Agreed. We need an immediate big-time contributor at the guard position. Don't think Strickland would fit the bill (next year). Still hoping for a grad transfer...

If there is not a second scholarship opening, they have to use this on a PG or a combo guard. Otherwise we are an IW injury away from another train-wreck. McBreyer at PG is only marginally better than Hoffarber.

Top Bottom