All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

That assumes that Kalscheur and Omersa contribute from day 1 and no injuries, big assumptions. Could finish in the top half of big ten if everything goes right, a couple of things go the other way and you have another train wreck, almost no room for error.

And also assume that Michael Hurt can make a positive impact.

I dis dream for Josiah James but he trimmed his list to 9 yesterday.

per Shama:

Crandall, Travis, Talked U Transfer

It’s not that well-known but the Golden Gophers might have started next season with high profile grad transfers and Minneapolis natives Geno Crandall and Reid Travis in their starting lineup. Crandall’s decision to choose Gonzaga over Minnesota is a national story this summer and the former North Dakota guard told Sports Headliners about the background to his process in choosing a school that included communications with Travis who is leaving Stanford to play his final season of college basketball at Kentucky.

Crandall describes Travis as his “best friend,” and the two have played basketball together since they were five years old. They played on state championship teams in high school at DeLaSalle. Earlier this year the two texted about playing for the Gophers in their hometown. “We talked…about it and gave it some thought,” Crandall said.

Crandall averaged 16.2 points per game last season for the Fighting Hawks, leading the team in scoring. The 6-foot-3 Crandall was second-team All-Big Sky for the second consecutive season. Travis averaged 19.5 points and 8.7 rebounds for Stanford. The 6-foot-8 forward was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection.

The Gophers have a roster talented enough to prompt speculation they could earn their way into the NCAA Tournament next season. But with Crandall and Travis they could have been a Big Ten title favorite. “Oh, yeah, no doubt,” Crandall said.

Crandall believes Travis was influenced in choosing Kentucky because of the program’s national exposure and reputation for sending players on to the NBA. Those were factors that resonated with Crandall, too, in choosing Gonzaga.

The Zags are expected to be a top 10 team nationally. Crandall’s goal is to help the Bulldogs earn their way through the 2019 NCAA Tournament to the Final Four in Minneapolis. He knows how special it could feel playing for a national title in his home city.

Gonzaga has an opening for playing time in its starting backcourt. The path to playing time appeared more direct to him than at Minnesota where the Gophers have experienced players at both point and shooting guard. Those players include grad transfer Brock Stull from Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The decision to choose Gonzaga wasn’t easy. He thought a lot about both Minnesota and Xavier where former Gopher assistant coach and DeLaSalle player Ben Johnson now works.

“Honestly, it was probably the toughest decision I ever had to make in my life,” Crandall said. “The first time around, coming out of high school, it wasn’t such a hard decision because I didn’t have too many offers, or too many programs that I really loved.

“But it was an extremely tough decision to say no to the hometown team that I grew up watching. (Minnesota) coach (Richard) Pitino, I think he’s really building something special. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem in the cards for me for what I was looking for my last year…”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Delusional Gopher Dream.....use the last active scholarship to allow Jarvis Johnson to play his senior year....It'll never happen but that'd be awesome!

Delusional Gopher Dream.....use the last active scholarship to allow Jarvis Johnson to play his senior year....It'll never happen but that'd be awesome!

#FreeJarvis.

If he plays basketball in his free time...............

Do you think he, at least, gets to dress on senior night?

Hopefully.

Can any law experts tell me why he couldn't sign a liability waiver that would take away any liability from the U is something bad happens?

Hopefully.

Can any law experts tell me why he couldn't sign a liability waiver that would take away any liability from the U is something bad happens?

*Not a law expert.

Can one really sign a waver that would cover the U of M liability from trauma of people watching TV seeing something like that? Or the press that would result? Sure he could remove his own ability to sue the school but the liability that cannot be controlled by something tragic happening would likely be too great for the school to agree to.

*Not a law expert.

Can one really sign a waver that would cover the U of M liability from trauma of people watching TV seeing something like that? Or the press that would result? Sure he could remove his own ability to sue the school but the liability that cannot be controlled by something tragic happening would likely be too great for the school to agree to.

I get that. But there is always risk. If he is already playing in games, it does seem odd to not at least re-consider.

Hopefully.

I think this is a mute point at this time anyway. If he still wanted to play he would have gone to another school or pro league somewhere in hopes of making it to the nba. It seems fairly clear he doesn't have that dream anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Shama:

Crandall, Travis, Talked U Transfer

It’s not that well-known but the Golden Gophers might have started next season with high profile grad transfers and Minneapolis natives Geno Crandall and Reid Travis in their starting lineup. Crandall’s decision to choose Gonzaga over Minnesota is a national story this summer and the former North Dakota guard told Sports Headliners about the background to his process in choosing a school that included communications with Travis who is leaving Stanford to play his final season of college basketball at Kentucky.

Crandall describes Travis as his “best friend,” and the two have played basketball together since they were five years old. They played on state championship teams in high school at DeLaSalle. Earlier this year the two texted about playing for the Gophers in their hometown. “We talked…about it and gave it some thought,” Crandall said.

Crandall averaged 16.2 points per game last season for the Fighting Hawks, leading the team in scoring. The 6-foot-3 Crandall was second-team All-Big Sky for the second consecutive season. Travis averaged 19.5 points and 8.7 rebounds for Stanford. The 6-foot-8 forward was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection.

The Gophers have a roster talented enough to prompt speculation they could earn their way into the NCAA Tournament next season. But with Crandall and Travis they could have been a Big Ten title favorite. “Oh, yeah, no doubt,” Crandall said.

Crandall believes Travis was influenced in choosing Kentucky because of the program’s national exposure and reputation for sending players on to the NBA. Those were factors that resonated with Crandall, too, in choosing Gonzaga.

The Zags are expected to be a top 10 team nationally. Crandall’s goal is to help the Bulldogs earn their way through the 2019 NCAA Tournament to the Final Four in Minneapolis. He knows how special it could feel playing for a national title in his home city.

Gonzaga has an opening for playing time in its starting backcourt. The path to playing time appeared more direct to him than at Minnesota where the Gophers have experienced players at both point and shooting guard. Those players include grad transfer Brock Stull from Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The decision to choose Gonzaga wasn’t easy. He thought a lot about both Minnesota and Xavier where former Gopher assistant coach and DeLaSalle player Ben Johnson now works.

“Honestly, it was probably the toughest decision I ever had to make in my life,” Crandall said. “The first time around, coming out of high school, it wasn’t such a hard decision because I didn’t have too many offers, or too many programs that I really loved.

“But it was an extremely tough decision to say no to the hometown team that I grew up watching. (Minnesota) coach (Richard) Pitino, I think he’s really building something special. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem in the cards for me for what I was looking for my last year…”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Really? So now he is selling the home town angle by saying he wants to play for the Zags in the FF in front of the family in Minneapolis?

Now I really hope he is sitting in his dorm in Spokane eating a bag of popcorn while watching the Gopher play in the tourney!!!

It really was not that hard of a decision to make if the Gopher were really his favorite team and he wanted to play in front of the family. He got blinded by the dim lights, thinking Gonzaga is Kentucky and cast away all the things he said was close to him. They already has him on the bench at PG.

I think this is a mute point at this time anyway. If he still wanted to play he would have gone to another school or pro league somewhere in hopes of making it to the nba. It seems fairly clear he doesn't have that dream anymore.

I know we'll never know but I wonder how many schools would have allowed him to play. Is the U very strict when it comes to things like this compared to other schools?

I know we'll never know but I wonder how many schools would have allowed him to play. Is the U very strict when it comes to things like this compared to other schools?

There are people who play with this at other institutions so he could've possibly gotten cleared (as every cardiologist, including someone who has evaluated him before, will evaluate him differently) and been able to play. but I guess I can't blame the U for going with the doctors who said he's high risk and won't offer a liability waver as the people of MN would want to damn near shut down the bball program if he died on the court. It would be a PR disaster that there would be legitimately no right way to try to curb

dcbec395f56cf0ad9f56acb0a2586af8.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So last scholarship for 18. Do we keep it for 19? Is there anyone left that could help next year?? Is Marcus Carr going to be eligible??

Marcus Carr is taking up a scholarship already whether he plays or not. I did see that Jordy Tshimanga decided to transfer from Nebraska a few days ago. He had a Gopher offer out of high school. If we need a reserve center behind Oturu for 2019, maybe we’d have some interest, assuming he’s allowed to transfer within the conference.

Hopefully Carr becomes eligible will be big boost. Don’t think jordy will come here either. Had convo couple years ago with former player and think he said he told jordy he didn’t like Pitino. Don’t quote me though

Hopefully Carr becomes eligible will be big boost. Don’t think jordy will come here either. Had convo couple years ago with former player and think he said he told jordy he didn’t like Pitino. Don’t quote me though
Problem with Jordy was Buggs haven't left yet. Jordy was gushing about us on his visit, just didn't have a spot once Akeem committed. Jordy was at Nebraska by the time Buggs left and Diediou refusing to transfer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Don’t know why don’t just bring *somebody* in. I can’t think of a scenario where it’s better to have less bodies than more.

Don’t know why don’t just bring *somebody* in. I can’t think of a scenario where it’s better to have less bodies than more.

To use an old cliche, "one bad apple can ruin the whole lot". I agree that bringing in a one-year person is better than leaving the slot open, but it has to be the right person.

Another possibility is having a 2019 commit join the team in the spring 2019 semester and red shirt so that they get a bit of a jump start on college strength and conditioning and learning schemes and stuff, sorta like when football players graduate early and join in spring.

Another possibility is having a 2019 commit join the team in the spring 2019 semester and red shirt so that they get a bit of a jump start on college strength and conditioning and learning schemes and stuff, sorta like when football players graduate early and join in spring.
Would they have to redshirt, if there are injuries or a serious lack of depth at their position, could they play?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Didn't know this was a possibility in basketball for some reason. Let's let Matthew Hurt know he can go ahead and join his brother in January :)

Top Bottom