All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Oh awesome, thanks!! Hopefully whatever Tre decides he will do it soon so we can go all out on plan B. My choice would be Hunter

I thought the coaching staff was looking for a true PG. From what I've read, with the exception of the scout article, Hunter has consistently been referred to as a SG.

Just wondering if they are really looking for another SG, or at best a combo guard.

I thought the coaching staff was looking for a true PG. From what I've read, with the exception of the scout article, Hunter has consistently been referred to as a SG.

Just wondering if they are really looking for another SG, or at best a combo guard.

This article from Purdue's SBNation site says he's a combo guard. I'm pretty sure he's capable of playing at least spot minutes at point guard.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017...-recruiting-why-eric-hunter-is-vital-for-2018

If Isaiah Washington is our point guard of the future, I sort of wonder if we'd be a very attractive destination for a pure point guard in the class right behind him. I'd guess Washington and McBrayer are getting most of the point minutes in 2018-19, and maybe Coffey and Harris will get some too. I'd worry a little bit about a 6'0" or 6'2" PG getting stuck behind Washington for most of his college career. Eric Hunter is listed at 6'3" and can play off the ball, so he can play alongside Washington. Brendan Adams is a 6'4" point guard, so maybe he could play off the ball too.

But then we took Kevin Dorsey and Jarvis Johnson in the same class a couple years ago, so maybe they will take another point guard. But Eric Hunter seems like a pretty appealing option.

In a tough game down the stretch I'll take another point guard on the floor. Never can have enough ball handling skill when the pressure is on. Think about how rough Mcbrayer looked at the home Iowa game last year under pressure and project that one more guy who can beat someone one on one or one on two in an open court isn't a bad thing.

In a tough game down the stretch I'll take another point guard on the floor. Never can have enough ball handling skill when the pressure is on. Think about how rough Mcbrayer looked at the home Iowa game last year under pressure and project that one more guy who can beat someone one on one or one on two in an open court isn't a bad thing.

Exactly and u never know when someone is in foul trouble or gets injured. Need 2 PG minimum on your roster.

This article from Purdue's SBNation site says he's a combo guard. I'm pretty sure he's capable of playing at least spot minutes at point guard.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017...-recruiting-why-eric-hunter-is-vital-for-2018

If Isaiah Washington is our point guard of the future, I sort of wonder if we'd be a very attractive destination for a pure point guard in the class right behind him. I'd guess Washington and McBrayer are getting most of the point minutes in 2018-19, and maybe Coffey and Harris will get some too. I'd worry a little bit about a 6'0" or 6'2" PG getting stuck behind Washington for most of his college career. Eric Hunter is listed at 6'3" and can play off the ball, so he can play alongside Washington. Brendan Adams is a 6'4" point guard, so maybe he could play off the ball too.

But then we took Kevin Dorsey and Jarvis Johnson in the same class a couple years ago, so maybe they will take another point guard. But Eric Hunter seems like a pretty appealing option.

I watched Hunter and he will be a great combo guard. He is as athletic as McBrayer but has a bit getter handles. I'd be thrilled to get him.

It does seem Tre is going to be a tough sell - hard to compete with the full force of Duke recruiting coming after him. All we can hope for is he has a soft spot for home town / is excited about playing with EYBL teammates / wants to strike a new path from his bro / reads GH message boards and sympathizes with our plight

Still curious why we think we have good news on Hunter? I know 247 isn't end all be all, but Xavier recently offered and they have him at 100%.

We were winning with Race until the day he committed

We were winning with Race until the day he committed

Untrue - Race was considered an IU lean for some time. We never would have offered Thomas if the staff felt he was lock. Beyond that, I prefaced with "I know 247 isn't end all be all" to insulate myself from criticism.

Untrue - Race was considered an IU lean for some time. We never would have offered Thomas if the staff felt he was lock. Beyond that, I prefaced with "I know 247 isn't end all be all" to insulate myself from criticism.

Lol that's like playing tag on the playground and claiming you're invisible. I was referring to 247 when U said winning. We were "winning" the crystal ball prediction just like Maryland was "winning" with Kevin Dorsey a couple years back. I'm gonna have to disagree about Jarvis his stick rose a lot in the past year. Thompson may have still been priority but I believe Thomas got to the point where he was good enough to make it a first come first serve proposition. Pitino has one job and it's to win he's not going to offer a guy that he doesn't think can cut it in the big ten.

Haha all fair points. I didn't realize Crystal Ball still had Race as a MN lean up until IU commit. And yes I agree Jarvis wasn't just option 2. Frankly I'd prefer him to Race, we'll have plenty of offense and I'd prefer a hard worker at that position. In sum, you're right, anything can happen with recruiting, I sure hope we can land Hunter if we can't get Tre.

Gophers all in to get a visit from Locke and Jared Butler.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. Ryan James (local Scout recruiting guy if you are unfamiliar with him) has been mentioning Marcus Zeragowski, Nate Hinton, and Eric Hunter for that spot. Locke would be a huge get and you were right previously about his stock being higher than his ranking, the 247 site has a lot of people forecasting him to Kansas.

I am a little concerned about the offer to another PG target in Anthony Nelson today. I hope that's not a sign that the staff doesn't feel good about where they stand with others and actually are impressed with Nelson.

This is very strong recruiting. You have to be prepared for depth through every prospect. If a program is to be strong, plan B,C AND D have to be guys without much drop off. The ELITE teams can wait longer and not have to reach. Everyone else is still preparing for the dominoes to really fall. Once guys like Quinnerly and Garland and Jones go then the rest will find their spot. The beauty of Locke is he is a combo that is complete in scoring through the court, three levels, great shooter, plays with length and is a tremendous defender and killer toughness. If Kansas, Arizona grab their guys and if Nova is full , Locke can fall. He loved UVA and Michigan but is patient.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. Ryan James (local Scout recruiting guy if you are unfamiliar with him) has been mentioning Marcus Zeragowski, Nate Hinton, and Eric Hunter for that spot. Locke would be a huge get and you were right previously about his stock being higher than his ranking, the 247 site has a lot of people forecasting him to Kansas.

I am a little concerned about the offer to another PG target in Anthony Nelson today. I hope that's not a sign that the staff doesn't feel good about where they stand with others and actually are impressed with Nelson.

These are very solid numbers he put up in the EYBL. He'd be fine as the last guy we take. Nothing to be concerned about IMO.

Might be boring but if we can't get one of the top recruits with this last spot I'd rather have them hold it open for a transfer with experience. There are so many transfers these days and with that you get to see how they perform at a higher level. Btw, when was our last JUCO transfer? What happened to the JUCO route?

Might be boring but if we can't get one of the top recruits with this last spot I'd rather have them hold it open for a transfer with experience. There are so many transfers these days and with that you get to see how they perform at a higher level. Btw, when was our last JUCO transfer? What happened to the JUCO route?

It doesnt seem that the other recruits are weak. Jones is a top 10 player. These other guys are top 100. We can't turn that down. The only one that might be a stretch is Anthony Nelson

LOL.

Deandre Mathieu and Carlos Morris.

Squirrel was a bust but long live Jerry Holman. Wish we had better juco programs in MN that D1 potentials could develop at. Maybe we can just hold off and wait for the next year's Illinois State transfer.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is Brendan Adams, one of our point guard targets, since the tweet doesn't really make it obvious who he is.

Unless adams really wants an education that the U can't offer (Princeton), I like the chances vs those other schools.

Gophers put out their best effort for the visit and that is all you can do.

Montez Mathis committed to Rutgers last night. 4 star top 100 shooting guard who had a Gopher offer.

Montez Mathis committed to Rutgers last night. 4 star top 100 shooting guard who had a Gopher offer.

Good for Rutgers always believed there's no excuse for why they can't put a decent roster together

Top Bottom