All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Would Gabe really be the 2nd best ballhandler on the team the second he sets foot on campus? Or third if we take a point guard with the 4th scholarship? I feel like this is the first I've heard of him having any ability to even play backup point guard.

Yeah not even close. We need another lead guard in this class.

Would Gabe really be the 2nd best ballhandler on the team the second he sets foot on campus? Or third if we take a point guard with the 4th scholarship? I feel like this is the first I've heard of him having any ability to even play backup point guard.
No Washington, Harris, McBrayer, Coffey, and then probably Gabe. He is a capable ball handler in half court sets but if he was consistently at PG going against full court pressure I think there would be some problems.

No Washington, Harris, McBrayer, Coffey, and then probably Gabe. He is a capable ball handler in half court sets but if he was consistently at PG going against full court pressure I think there would be some problems.

His handle is the weakest part of his game. He def wouldn't be the 2nd best ball handler. He struggle when he has to take more than 3 dribbles

Call me overly optimistic, but I like what Pitino's staff is doing. I feel like if they can avoid a disaster (which we, as gopher fans, have every right to fear), and they can get either Tre and/or Matt Hurt, the corner will be turned.

Once we get our fair share (not all) of the truly blue chip in-state talent to stay home, along with the NYC pipeline that has been started, I think the machine will feed itself to a large degree.

Now, you can make an argument about how long Pitino will stay if all this happens, but I will face that issue when we've had enough success to make it an issue....

If Pitino could get Tre and/or Matt Hurt what could some other school offer him to leave Minnesota with the new Athlete's Village?

I would think a young coach who does well at Minnesota with the new facilities would be able to recruit well every year. As long as Minnesota is willing to pay him could it get any better elsewhere?

1. Reasonable expectations vs. "Kentucky" expectations. He wouldn't have to make the sweet 16 every year here like he would at a blue blood college.

2. No real media to be hassled by. Reusse is about the worst you have to deal with in Mpls. nothing like the meat grinder you have to deal with in a larger market.

3. Haven't even come close to restoring the home court advantage the Barn can be. I think he is going to really enjoy this next season as the place should be at capacity and back to the thunder level of its glory days.

I think you could be very happy and successful coaching at Minnesota.

Call me overly optimistic, but I like what Pitino's staff is doing. I feel like if they can avoid a disaster (which we, as gopher fans, have every right to fear), and they can get either Tre and/or Matt Hurt, the corner will be turned.

Once we get our fair share (not all) of the truly blue chip in-state talent to stay home, along with the NYC pipeline that has been started, I think the machine will feed itself to a large degree.

Now, you can make an argument about how long Pitino will stay if all this happens, but I will face that issue when we've had enough success to make it an issue....

Rico,

Here's the thing. Pitino, if he continues to do what he does and win, will stay. Here's why. When you look at the talent this state is starting to produce, there is no reason why a successful NCAA team can't keep local kids home. We have the talent, the school, now the facilities to attract high level talent. It's now up to Pitino and the athletic department to keep things rollings.

I listened to Jim Delaney last night talk about APR for B10 schools. I'm proud of what our student athletes do. I think 4 or 5 schools in the B10 are in the top 10 in the nation? Minnesota is one of them. Athletics is important no doubt, but to do so without compromising your integrity is more impressive. Keep up the good work Gophers.

Pitino also has 3 young who were all born here and has always mentioned how important home is to them as he's raising a family right now. I don't think that can be overlooked either. He and his family are more engrained into the community than ya'll would think, so I truly believe it take a special offer to pull him away from here, and even then I'm not too sure.

Lets keep this thread geared toward 2018 recruiting. If some want to banter about Pitino leaving at some point, there is a specific thread dedicated to that topic. Thanks

Pitino also has 3 young who were all born here and has always mentioned how important home is to them as he's raising a family right now. I don't think that can be overlooked either. He and his family are more engrained into the community than ya'll would think, so I truly believe it take a special offer to pull him away from here, and even then I'm not too sure.

If he could only get rid of that annoying neighbor of his...

Assuming Gabe commits tonight, that leaves the Gophers with one open scholarship (at this exact moment) for 2018. Obviously the 3 commits could change their mind, some guys could transfer, get kicked out, etc. IF no other scholarships open, and Tre decides to play at Bemidji St (or anywhere that isn't for the Gophers), who would you like to see come in?

I am impressed by AJ Green but he appears locked and loaded at UNI. I can't say I know much/anything anything about Hunter but he seems interested. Maybe he is waiting to see where the local chips fall?

I've seen Hedstrom a few times and remain skeptical of his ability to really help at any point. Aside from his length, he doesn't provide much. Maybe he turns into something special but for now, not a Hedstrom guy.

Anyone else on the radar seem likely if Tre goes elsewhere? Of course I'd prefer Tre over anyone else because he is the best player we have considering coming here.

Assuming Gabe commits tonight, that leaves the Gophers with one open scholarship (at this exact moment) for 2018. Obviously the 3 commits could change their mind, some guys could transfer, get kicked out, etc. IF no other scholarships open, and Tre decides to play at Bemidji St (or anywhere that isn't for the Gophers), who would you like to see come in?

I am impressed by AJ Green but he appears locked and loaded at UNI. I can't say I know much/anything anything about Hunter but he seems interested. Maybe he is waiting to see where the local chips fall?

I've seen Hedstrom a few times and remain skeptical of his ability to really help at any point. Aside from his length, he doesn't provide much. Maybe he turns into something special but for now, not a Hedstrom guy.

Anyone else on the radar seem likely if Tre goes elsewhere? Of course I'd prefer Tre over anyone else because he is the best player we have considering coming here.

I would think they have to grab a guard. Marcus Zegarowski from out east is a PG that's been offered and apparently there is mutual interest. Ranked 140 on Rivals. Hunter seems like a nice option but like most highly ranked players, lots of competition for him. It does sound like Green is a lock for UNI.

I kinda figured the Canadian had emerged as their main PG target but he's off the board now. I think they have options but none seem to be the favorite and no one is knocking down the door. I don't know how much they'll hear on PG the rest of the summer but official visit season will be interesting. It's going to be a first come, first serve situation

Keyontae Johnson, a small forward, said he was planning on visiting in June but never did. Eric Hunter visited and listed us in his top 6. Brendan Adams is a 6'4" PG that we would seem to have a pretty good shot at, in addition to the previously mentioned Marcus Zegarowski.

I would assume most/all posters agree that Tre is our #1 target at this point?

Looked at Zegarowski. Certainly intriguing. Same with Hunter and Adams. All seem capable and have respectable offer lists. Would take any of them, without doing too much research on any of them.

REALLY like Green but seems like a no-go unless his Dad leaves UNI

It seems as though we are all confident that Gabe will be a Gopher. That said, I still have a few butterflies (excitement) as his announcement nears. Crazy how your emotions work...may require a Coors Light and a brief celebration. I will save the hard core celebration until Gabe is raining threes in BIG10 games!

It seems as though we are all confident that Gabe will be a Gopher. That said, I still have a few butterflies (excitement) as his announcement nears. Crazy how your emotions work...may require a Coors Light and a brief celebration. I will save the hard core celebration until Gabe is raining threes in BIG10 games!

I find it hard to believe he would announce another school at the pro am which is trying to draw gopher fans to come watch

It will be a stunner if Gabe Kalscheur picks anyone other than the Gophers tonight for reasons already mentioned. Then the recruiting for the final 2018 scholarship really ramps up, specifically for Tre Jones. I don't think it's as much of a long shot for him to stay as most others do.

Just take a second and think about it: 3 of his good buddies from his summer AAU team would be playing together in college. The U's athletic facilities will be done by the time this group is on campus, and facilities absolutely matter landing top recruits now. A lot of these guys, when their friends are out partying, are putting jump shots up when nobody is watching. Because if you're not constantly doing something to make yourself a better player, somebody else is working harder.

And don't forget that Minneapolis hosts the 2019 Final Four. What better story than 4 local kids representing their home state and potentially playing for a national title? I'm not convinced Tre wouldn't stay home for several of those reasons. And this staff has been as committed to recruiting him as much as anyone else. Don't rule it out, at least not yet.

If Tre goes elsewhere I'd like to get Brandon Adams. For defensive purposes there's nothing wrong with a 6'4" primary ball handler.

Might want to get season tickets now. This place is going to be packed and rocking for the upcoming seasons!! Wow exciting times!

If tre commits here i will be doing cartwheels. Im pretty optimistic about it as well. I woukd rather write my own story rather than live up to my brothers. If he commits here there will be no tickets to grab anymore as the barn will be packed. Also i recall when recruiting tyus that tre was actually a huge gopher fan. I know you're reading this tre and be the hero that we need and stay home. You wont regret it.

I'd be ecstatic if Nate Hinton to take the last spot. 6-6 PG that's played phenomenal in the Addidas circuit. Has been averaging over 17 PPG, 7 RPG, 5 APG, 2 SPG and shooting over 50% from 3 and the field on an above .500 team.

Hunter would be great as well.

The idea of Tre doing something unique and not just following in his brother's footsteps could be in our favor. But the other side of the coin is the idea that what worked for his brother might work for him?

Granted, the idea that Minnesota could win a Title the year Tyus would have been here might have been laughable. Not so much anymore for Trey. So who knows?

The Gophers really need a home run with the 4th available scholarship. Obviously, Tre is the dream and maybe that dream is closer to reality than we think. If it's not Tre, I'd hope they can land someone between 6'5 and 6'8 that can play the 2 or 3 and can get his own shot. To me, that's the biggest need on the roster going forward with only Amir fitting that profile. It's especially important when most of your bigs don't project to stretch the floor.

Nate Hinton at 6'6" PG sounds intriguing. Where are his offers from?

per KSTP:

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen src="http://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/anvload.html?key=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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

Go Gophers!!

The Gophers really need a home run with the 4th available scholarship. Obviously, Tre is the dream and maybe that dream is closer to reality than we think. If it's not Tre, I'd hope they can land someone between 6'5 and 6'8 that can play the 2 or 3 and can get his own shot. To me, that's the biggest need on the roster going forward with only Amir fitting that profile. It's especially important when most of your bigs don't project to stretch the floor.

Dupree absolutely fits that profile as well.

Nate Hinton at 6'6" PG sounds intriguing. Where are his offers from?

Verbal Commits and Future 150 say 6'6", Rivals and 247 say 6'4". Those numbers die hard quoted sound pretty nice though.

I wonder, Tyus left after one year, right? Or did he play 2 years? I don't follow the home boys that leave anymore, once they leave.

But my question is, what would be better long term for the program, to bring in a Tre and be able to brag of closing the borders and having a Top 10 like recruiting class and all the national attention such things bring to the program, not to mention the effect having a guy like Tre in the lineup could do to our win/loss record the year or two he was here.

OR

would it be better to have a guy like Hinton come on board who is far more likely to stick around for 4-5 years. Would have less of an immediate impact probably, but might be better for the long term health of the program? And not saying Tre has an ego or would be a cancerous presence like Mr. Kardashian was the year he came in, but its a lot less likely that a guy like Hinton would have a negative impact compared to a kid like Tre who has an older brother like Tyus.

Top Bottom