All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

What an outstanding group of players. That's has to be one of the best groups to come out of Minnesota.

I have to imagine that getting one of Jarvis and Race (because many think they won't take both, about which I have no idea), plus all of the other guys would elevate this program significantly. Not only on the court, but an all-MN class like that would draw a lot of media and casual fan attention. It could really boost attendance. Quite the crossroads for the program.

Probably not likely, but there is a chance that the stars align here. Seeing all of the fanfare might raise the eyebrows of guys like Hurt and Suggs as well. These guys have to know the impact they could have on the program. There must be some interesting conversations going on in the locker room before/after EYBL games.

What an outstanding group of players. That's has to be one of the best groups to come out of Minnesota.

I have to imagine that getting one of Jarvis and Race (because many think they won't take both, about which I have no idea), plus all of the other guys would elevate this program significantly. Not only on the court, but an all-MN class like that would draw a lot of media and casual fan attention. It could really boost attendance. Quite the crossroads for the program.

Probably not likely, but there is a chance that the stars align here. Seeing all of the fanfare might raise the eyebrows of guys like Hurt and Suggs as well. These guys have to know the impact they could have on the program. There must be some interesting conversations going on in the locker room before/after EYBL games.

I would say the only one that can match it is 2014 with Tyus, Vaughn, Travis, and Macura.

Jones, Oturu, Gabe, and then either Jarvis or Race would be one hell of a good recruiting class. That's the dream we should want.

I would say the only one that can match it is 2014 with Tyus, Vaughn, Travis, and Macura.

I have not seen much of this group but watched the 2014 guys. Are the current guys really at that level? Exciting if they are!

4 star Indiana guard Eric Hunter and his family were "extremely impressed" by their visit to Minnesota this weekend.

https://twitter.com/mjessenhoward/status/876582751335567361

Would we pass on Kalscheur if we got Hunter?

I wonder if we would take Hunter as our PG this class as some sites list him as a combo guard and some of his older videos say he is a PG. He certainly looks to have a much better handle than Kalscheur and Jamir Harris on his highlight tape and not much of a pure shooter like the other two. Very reminiscent of Dupree, especially since he is a lefty.

4 star Indiana guard Eric Hunter and his family were "extremely impressed" by their visit to Minnesota this weekend.

https://twitter.com/mjessenhoward/status/876582751335567361

Would we pass on Kalscheur if we got Hunter?
I guess Duke now will be all in on Tre since Garland won't be going there. That means Tre is likely to follow in Tyus's footsteps. RJ said Gophs would then probably take both Hunter and Gabe with Hunter filling our need at PG and Gabe on the wing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Madtown goph, what makes you think Garland has eliminated Duke ?

Madtown goph, what makes you think Garland has eliminated Duke ?

I haven't been following Garland's situation at all. I just noticed that RJ recently referred to Garland as if he were a done deal to Vanderbilt. Some other posters on another board were echoing that sentiment. Jerry Meyer also predicted Garland to Vandy on 247 a few days ago (the most recent crystal ball prediction). So I don't know if Garland tweeted something, said something in an interview, or sent signals via family/handlers, but it seems like Duke is out.

I guess Duke now will be all in on Tre since Garland won't be going there. That means Tre is likely to follow in Tyus's footsteps. RJ said Gophs would then probably take both Hunter and Gabe with Hunter filling our need at PG and Gabe on the wing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Garland is still uncommitted and showing as 83% for Duke on 247 (not that it's definitive) - curious why you state he won't be going to Duke?

Edit: Thanks for update - hopefully there's still a chance for Duke

2 of Garland's teammates committed to Vandy for Football and in turn are putting pressure on him to stay home and commit. They seem to be having fun with it on Twitter. With how heavy of a lean he was to Duke I have a hard time seeing him remove them from his list completely unless they pulled his offer which I can't see being the case. Until someone closer to Duke confirms him removing them from his list I wouldn't put too much into it. He was literally on Duke's campus two weeks ago.

How I interpret things right now:

PG: Many possibilities here. Probably first come first serve though many of our targets here also are combo guys and could fill the 2 if they miss on Gabe
SG: Gabe
SF: None. Keyontae Johnson if priorities shift but doesn't seem like a huge desire
PF: one of Race or Jarvis. No out of state targets seem likely at this point
C: Oturu

Obviously Tre could change some things. By all accounts he seems like a later decision but if he wants to come here at that time, they'll find room

Go Gophers!!

Not sure where his individual thread is, but Eric Hunter has included Gophers in his final 6.

3 of our competitors in the B1G added 4 star recruits today: Ohio State, Michigan, and Northwestern. Northwestern also picked up a top 150 type PG recently to go with their 4 star commit today. The Michigan news could be considered "good" because they landed a PF which might make them a less attractive landing sport for Race Thompson. Josh LeBlanc, one of our targets I really like, just did an interview where he stated that LSU and Texas A&M were out front for him. On a better note, Matt Jessen-Howard put out a tweet yesterday quoting Keyontae Johnson as saying that he talk with Minnesota on a "daily basis".

I wouldn't say I have reached the stage of being panicked about the 2018 class, but it would be nice to feel like we were the favorite for one of our more highly ranked targets. We really need to land a Tre or Race type prospect just to keep pace in the B1G recruiting wars.

3 of our competitors in the B1G added 4 star recruits today: Ohio State, Michigan, and Northwestern. Northwestern also picked up a top 150 type PG recently to go with their 4 star commit today. The Michigan news could be considered "good" because they landed a PF which might make them a less attractive landing sport for Race Thompson. Josh LeBlanc, one of our targets I really like, just did an interview where he stated that LSU and Texas A&M were out front for him. On a better note, Matt Jessen-Howard put out a tweet yesterday quoting Keyontae Johnson as saying that he talk with Minnesota on a "daily basis".

I wouldn't say I have reached the stage of being panicked about the 2018 class, but it would be nice to feel like we were the favorite for one of our more highly ranked targets. We really need to land a Tre or Race type prospect just to keep pace in the B1G recruiting wars.

Don't forget that we already have one of our top targets committed. Oturu is borderline top 50. And for comparison's sake, at this point in the 2014, 2015, and 2017 recruiting cycles, we had no commits. In the 2016 cycle, we had the early commit from Michael Hurt. I think the lion's share of our commits usually come in September and October. Mason, Martin, Morris, Johnson, Coffey, Curry, Washington, and Harris were all September or October commits. Kevin Dorsey committed in July, Dupree McBrayer in August, and then there's the spring recruits.

I still think we're in the thick of it for Race Thompson, Gabe Kalscheur, Eric Hunter, and Keyontae Johnson, with a maybe a glimmer of hope for Tre Jones, pending how Duke's point guard recruiting shakes out.

Marcus Q&A with Oturu:

ON RECRUITING HIS PULLEY TEAMMATES: “I kind of pick my moments. At the end of the day, it’s their decision where they want to go. Whatever is best for them and their family. No matter what they choose I’ll always support them, because they’re my brothers. Every now and then I’ll say: ‘Hey, don’t forget about the U.’ Or I’ll say, ‘We can really do something special here and make our city proud.’ It’s a really good goal that I have that we can play well together here at Minnesota and make people here proud – to put Minnesota on the map.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-summer-and-recruiting-for-pitino/431686313/

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

15. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Richard Pitino is focusing on in-state prospects for most of the Golden Gophers' 2018 board, with ESPN 100 center Daniel Oturu (No. 51) already committed and five-star point guard Tre Jones leading a quality crop of local options. They will have to beat out Duke, UCLA, and others for Jones, but the other in-state options could be more realistic. Race Thompson saw his stock rise in the spring, while Jarvis Thomas and Gabe Kalscheur both visited campus recently. Jake Forrester, Souleymane Koureissi, Brendan Adams and Marcus Zegarowski are among the other 2018 prospects with Minnesota interest. Pitino will have to replace do-it-all point guard Nate Mason, as well as three other seniors, although incoming freshman Isaiah Washington is going to be the playmaking guard for Pitino for years to come.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ruiting-needs-arizona-duke-other-top-25-teams

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom