All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Damn, if we could get keyontae johnson that would be awesome. I think it was the first guy pitino talked to but i doubt he would come here. But who knows, maybe something is cooking with the recen gopher friend adds.

Liking the fact that we are finalists for Hunter, Nelson and Halliburton.

It's only video but Haliburton really reminds me of Kevin Payton both in size and style of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch...

00c8816c0744d216e617c9882997de24.png

Haliburton announcing tomorrow. Hard to imagine the Gophers being in a great position without a visit, but nothing would surprise me with our current recruiting targets at this point.

00c8816c0744d216e617c9882997de24.png

Haliburton announcing tomorrow. Hard to imagine the Gophers being in a great position without a visit, but nothing would surprise me with our current recruiting targets at this point.

Is there reason for optimism or with no visit is it just a wild card get?

Nate Hinton committed to Houston.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Marcus:

The Gophers offered Haliburton a scholarship on Sept. 11. Pitino and his staff met with Haliburton, four-star Indianapolis Tindley guard Eric Hunter Jr. and South Kent School (N.Y.) guard Anthony Nelson last week during in-home visits.

Haliburton’s high school coach said Pitino talked about him playing both point guard and shooting guard in college. Minnesota will need to add to its backcourt depth with current freshmen Isaiah Washington and Jamir Harris. All-Big Ten guard Nate Mason is a senior this season.

“(Pitino) talked about how he saw Ty being a combo guard,” Weber said. “The kind of advantages they could have with a taller point guard in pick-and-roll situations. He also highlighted the new facility that’s going to be open Jan. 1. Ty’s interest is right now business for a major. And Pitino talked about all the Fortune 500 companies and what Minnesota offers on the business side.”

http://www.startribune.com/oshkosh-...burton-to-make-college-pick-monday/445405173/

Go Gophers!!

Who do we want more? Hunter or Hailburton?

Or will we decide around 5pm tonight?

Who do we want more? Hunter or Hailburton?

Or will we decide around 5pm tonight?

Hunter seems to be our #1 target. He is also more highly rated and has had stronger offers for longer. I think Nelson and Haliburton are closer to the same level. Just not feeling great about Haliburton since he never visited.

Gophers have been all-in on Eric Hunter for some time. Everything I've read indicates Haliburton is headed to Iowa State.

If Hunter takes his official here, and all indications are that he will, that should bode well for Gopher fans.

OR, I'd be happy with Nelson based on a 2:00 minute clip... I do believe Hunter is the #1 target of the staff.

Halliburton even considering the Gophers (assuming he is) makes me wonder if he is really that interested in Iowa St.

He hasn't been here and unless they've been talking for a while but he just never got the offer? I don't know.

Iowa State for Haliburton

No surprise there. Seems like we are down to Hunter and Nelson. The fact that Hunter hasn't committed to either Purdue or Ohio State after his visits is not a bad sign. Like everyone has been saying, if we can get him here in 11-12 days for his visit, I like Pitino's chances.

I for one am very glad Haliburton chose Iowa State instead of coming to Minnesota. Watching his tape, his release is slow as molasses and he does not appear to be all that athletic despite being a lanky 6'6 kid. He also looks like he needs to add a lot of strength. I honestly don't think he would have ever seen the court for us. Would rather keep that scholarship open for next year than to use it on Haliburton.

On the other hand, I really like Anthony Nelson's game. He's strong, athletic, and aggressive. These are the type of dudes you need in the B1G - guys who can defend as well as handle the ball against the more physical defenses in the league. Something the Gophs really haven't had enough of lately.

Just the word, Haliburton, sends shivers up my spine. [emoji6] [emoji41]

I for one am very glad Haliburton chose Iowa State instead of coming to Minnesota. Watching his tape, his release is slow as molasses and he does not appear to be all that athletic despite being a lanky 6'6 kid. He also looks like he needs to add a lot of strength. I honestly don't think he would have ever seen the court for us. Would rather keep that scholarship open for next year than to use it on Haliburton.

+1

Just the word, Haliburton, sends shivers up my spine. [emoji6] [emoji41]

Is it true he looks like the love child of Kevin Peyton and Dick Cheney? Or have I gotten this thread confused?

I know some think that we could really use a PG with this last scholarship but with Jelly coming in I really think that we would be able to eat extra PG minutes in '18-'19 by Dupree/Jamir Harris/Coffey. Question to me is who is the better talent, Eric Harris or Keyontae Johnson? Based on offers and how early Pitino was visiting Johnson last year I would say he is most likely more talented..haven't watched tape or looked at stats but just my initial reaction.

Is it true he looks like the love child of Kevin Peyton and Dick Cheney? Or have I gotten this thread confused?

Apparently the mere suggestion that he reminded me of Payton got some posts deleted but I never had the joy of reading them.

I know some think that we could really use a PG with this last scholarship but with Jelly coming in I really think that we would be able to eat extra PG minutes in '18-'19 by Dupree/Jamir Harris/Coffey. Question to me is who is the better talent, Eric Harris or Keyontae Johnson? Based on offers and how early Pitino was visiting Johnson last year I would say he is most likely more talented..haven't watched tape or looked at stats but just my initial reaction.

I'd rather have a legitimate backup PG in 18-19 than do what we did this year with Dupree. We saw what happened when Springs went down and I'm not sold that Jamir or Coffey can play point yet. It's nice to have a 10 man rotation and a 4 guard rotation instead of 3.

Hunter isn't a PG as listed under 247. Can he handle the point? Seems like Nelson would be better at running the point and with Nate graduating may be the better choice line-up wise.

But if Hunter can then I hope we get him. Johnson is higher rated but would leave us very thin in primary ball handlers unless Coffey or Harris have the handles for the job.

On the other hand, I really like Anthony Nelson's game. He's strong, athletic, and aggressive. These are the type of dudes you need in the B1G - guys who can defend as well as handle the ball against the more physical defenses in the league. Something the Gophs really haven't had enough of lately.

He may still be growing. He has added 3-4 inches in the past year.

Hunter isn't a PG as listed under 247. Can he handle the point? Seems like Nelson would be better at running the point and with Nate graduating may be the better choice line-up wise.

But if Hunter can then I hope we get him. Johnson is higher rated but would leave us very thin in primary ball handlers unless Coffey or Harris have the handles for the job.

Hunter is a combo guard with a skill set a lot like Dupree's. He can definitely run the point.

So looks like my twitter info the other day on Johnson had some steam behind it. If we can either come out with Johnson or Hunter I would be extremely happy.

Top Bottom