All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I'd like us to add a PG with size if we miss on Hunter. We have some targets that fit it

Anthony Nelson seems to have some Dupree McBrayer in him. Uses his hesitation and craftiness to get into the lane and make plays at the rim and off the pass. A little less raw athleticism but a lot of similarities in skill and length. Don't hate that at all.

Looks quite good w/ the left and right hand off the dribble. Can drive and has the shooting range. Looks like a solid prospect.

Agreed. Looks like McBrayer with better handles, and I'm guessing lesser deep range.

STrib: Four-star target Eric Hunter Jr. visits Purdue this weekend; should Gophers worry?

Gophers fans will be watching intently when four-star Indianapolis Tindley guard Eric Hunter Jr. finishes up with his first official visit this weekend at Purdue.

After all, Hunter is Minnesota coach Richard Pitino’s top remaining 2018 target and potentially the last piece to what could be his best recruiting class yet.

The 6-foot-3, 170-pound Hunter finished the summer AAU period strong with Team Harris. One of the top playmakers in the Midwest, Hunter’s athleticism and ability to play both guard spots makes him a perfect fit for Pitino’s system. And there will a need for another ball handler and perimeter scorer after senior captain Nate Mason is gone following this season.

“I really believe Eric is going take all of his visits and make a decision, personally,” Dillard told the Star Tribune on Thursday. “I think he’ll make a decision after he’s got a chance to weigh all of the visits out, write everything down and (talk with his family).”

The Gophers might be the last scheduled official visit, but Hunter’s unofficial trip to see the Gophers went well in June.

“I would say he likes Minnesota a whole lot,” Dillard said. “I think he’s very impressed with what he saw when he’s been up there earlier this summer on an unofficial visit. I’m sure he’s looking forward to going back for the official visit. He’s impressed with Coach Pitino and his staff and the facilities they’re building that will be done.”

http://m.startribune.com/four-star-...phers-worry/443279013/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!

Per Ryan James on Twitter, Gophers have an in-home visit with 4 star guard Eric Hunter on Tuesday.

Seems like a good time for Hunter to commit to the Gophers.

Per Ryan James on Twitter, Gophers have an in-home visit with 4 star guard Eric Hunter on Tuesday.

Seems like a good time for Hunter to commit to the Gophers.

Interesting coming in advance of his official at the end of the month. I like that our staff is putting a serious press on him in the midst of him visiting other schools. That, plus the unofficial he already took to the U has to indicate very serious interest on his part.

looks like we are doing the in home with nelson on wednesday to put pressure on hunter who all of a sudden moved his visit up to tuesday...means we gotta be the favorite.. awesome would love to get him....just hate the poltics involved with pursuing a 16 year old kid

looks like we are doing the in home with nelson on wednesday to put pressure on hunter who all of a sudden moved his visit up to tuesday...means we gotta be the favorite.. awesome would love to get him....just hate the poltics involved with pursuing a 16 year old kid
Tuesday's visit with Hunter is just an in-home. Hunter's official isn't until the end of the month. Why do you assume they are pressuring him? Maybe Nelson is just a backup option they are lining up in case they miss on Hunter.

Tuesday's visit with Hunter is just an in-home. Hunter's official isn't until the end of the month. Why do you assume they are pressuring him? Maybe Nelson is just a backup option they are lining up in case they miss on Hunter.

Probably just trying to stay on the radar and let him know they really want him while he is in the middle of other official visits.

I love the in-home in this situation. Keeps you fresh in the mind of a kid who is planning to come visit at the end of the month. If he had any plans to commit elsewhere, then he can reconsider while sitting with Young/Pitino/etc.

Smart recruiting and would be a nice get to round out a very solid 2018 class.

He could be getting an "are we even in consideration" answer from hunter. Similar to what we all feel like happened with Illiakankan (sp?) when we took JWonk.

Never mind. According to Ryan James we aren't recruiting Horton-Tucker anymore.

The fact that Hunter didn't commit over the weekend and has us scheduled for an in-home Tuesday bodes well for us imo...

The fact that Hunter didn't commit over the weekend and has us scheduled for an in-home Tuesday bodes well for us imo...

Definitely sends a message to the other programs involved. Love that Pitino is forcing the issue / getting his hands dirty and not waiting back until the official at end of the month. Also gives Pitino opportunity to ingratiate himself and staff with other family members that wouldn't necessarily be involved with official visit or otherwise have exposure to staff. Making all the right moves... all you can do.

Hunter just tweeted "change of plans" with an emoji scratching his chin. That can't be a good thing the day before an in home visit

Hunter just tweeted "change of plans" with an emoji scratching his chin. That can't be a good thing the day before an in home visit

Might be a good thing. Pitino looks to be the only one coming in for an in-house. Xavier, Butler, Purdue, and OSU are not. Maybe he's decided he's just going to commit tomorrow.

He's also liked a couple of pro-Purdue tweets at him. I hope it's not an early Purdue commit.

I had a good feeling about this guy til that tweet. I think he will commit to Purdue this week and is cancelling is other visits. Could be wrong...hopefully.

Hoping you are right about him committing tomorrow night to the Gophs!!

Gophers just offered Tyrese Haliburton. I think this is the same class as Hunter? Would take that as a definite bad sign.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers just offered Tyrese Haliburton. I think this is the same class as Hunter? Would take that as a definite bad sign.

Good size for a SG, but his offer list is just OK.

$#@?

Yeah, with Hunters tweet and now this news, it's not looking good.

Haliburton is an interesting player - a point guard that grew to 6-6 this past year. Has good offers- Iowa State the favorite.

Yep, I think Hunter decided to commit to Purdue, hence the change of plans tweet and we decided to offer another guard after that.

Hmmm... gonna be really interesting to see what happens between now and tomorrow afternoon....

Top Bottom