All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I think McGowens is on track to graduate, so he can be a 2018 if he chooses. I don't think the NCAA will need to approve anything in this case. I have to say I hate the fact that McGowens and his family are on campus for the worst weather in April in a long time. Hopefully, Pitino can land him as he looks like a really good prospect and capable of playing in 2018-19.

I know McGowens reclassified to 2019 after originally being a member of the 2018 class. Can he decide to switch back? How does that work? Does the NCAA have to approve that, or can he choose to enroll in a school next fall without issue?

The decision to reclassify was for the purpose of doing a post-grad year. That's something that's entirely voluntary (assuming he has no problems getting admitted to universities). If he graduates this year in good standing, why would the NCAA have to approve?

Sounds like this would be a great addition to our class, though we have a lot of competition. Kudos for getting him on an official visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trey would be huge. His blizzard visit will certainly be memorable, hopefully the novelty of snow if a positive for him.

It seems like Richard is shooting for the moon with one of the scholarships and hoping to be one of the few people left with a chair when the music stops as other competitors fill out their scholarships. Hope it works out. I’m not ripping it, but there’s a lot of competition for all of these guys and we could also wind up empty-handed in useful players as well.

If Trey signs today or tomorrow it will significantly improve our team and prove Richard is a great recruiter. 2 feet of snow mid April hopefully isn’t ruining the visit.

I think the odds of getting McGowens are at about 10%. I hope I'm wrong he would certainly fill an area of need.

I think the odds of getting McGowens are at about 10%. I hope I'm wrong he would certainly fill an area of need.

How many teams are recruiting him as a 2018 prospect? If the others on his list want him in 2019, that could give us the edge.

I think we have a very decent chance at landing Mcgowens, especially if he stays in the 2018 class. According to 247, Clemson and NC State are his most likely destinations, but that would have to be in 2019 because neither team can take another recurit and have full 2018 classes.

I also was doing some snooping on his twitter and got the sense that there is some frustration with the South Carolina schools in not making him a higher priority in the 2018 class. We will see though, if we landed Mcgowens, it would be the best class the Gophers have landed in nearly two decades without doubt. Would be a great thing to help us ignore the damn snow!

Anyone know if he has played with or knows any of the current 2018 class?

Just wondering, is it allowable for any of the signed 2018s (i.e. Oturu, Omersa and Kalscheur) to be on campus during official visits to meet recruits who could potentially join their class? Seems it would be a good opportunity to see who you could be playing with for the next 4 (or so) years.

I think we have a very decent chance at landing Mcgowens, especially if he stays in the 2018 class. According to 247, Clemson and NC State are his most likely destinations, but that would have to be in 2019 because neither team can take another recurit and have full 2018 classes.

I also was doing some snooping on his twitter and got the sense that there is some frustration with the South Carolina schools in not making him a higher priority in the 2018 class. We will see though, if we landed Mcgowens, it would be the best class the Gophers have landed in nearly two decades without doubt. Would be a great thing to help us ignore the damn snow!

True, if he wants a dance partner in 2018 there aren't a ton of options out there. Though, and I say this with no insider knowledge on him whatsoever, with two in-state schools not making a top 100 guy a priority it makes me wonder if there is a reason they aren't going after him hard. Not saying anything, but just makes me wonder

Going by the scholarship charts I found posted on verbalcommits.com, it looks like Clemson has 2 spots open for 2018, NC State has 1, and South Carolina has 3, but it looks like South Carolina just got a commit yesterday from a combo guard T.J. Moss (a guy whom we apparently trying to get to go on a visit, from what I saw in an article about his commitment), and also lost a guard David Beatty to transfer a few hours ago, and I don't know if all that has been updated on verbal commits yet.

Like I mentioned before, we are his only official visit so far, and it's hard to say if the other schools are still interested in him as a 2018 kid. If he's visiting here, he's probably seriously considering us as well as seriously considering reclassifying to 2018.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like Kingsby is 72/182 (39.6%) from three in his two years in JUCO ball. Also led his team to the NJCAA championship game but lost. Looks pretty damn athletic as well.

Looks like Kingsby is 72/182 (39.6%) from three in his two years in JUCO ball. Also led his team to the NJCAA championship game but lost. Looks pretty damn athletic as well.

It also appears that he went to the same prep as Nate Mason and Carlos Morris: Arlington Country Day.

I've mentioned his name before, but Payton Willis is visiting this week. Former top 150 guard recruit with a Gopher offer out of high school. 5 points per game, 35% from 3. He is 6'4" though, so he could presumably play at both guard spots. Darius Garland is coming in for Vanderbilt for the upcoming season. In case you don't remember, he was the other 5-star point guard that Duke was after, the one we were hoping they would get so that maybe we could get Tre Jones.

I've mentioned his name before, but Payton Willis is visiting this week. Former top 150 guard recruit with a Gopher offer out of high school. 5 points per game, 35% from 3. He is 6'4" though, so he could presumably play at both guard spots. Darius Garland is coming in for Vanderbilt for the upcoming season. In case you don't remember, he was the other 5-star point guard that Duke was after, the one we were hoping they would get so that maybe we could get Tre Jones.

Well, OK, but he's not a grad transfer. As a grad transfer, he'd be fine but he's a bit underwhelming for a sit-out transfer.

This thread has become unbelievably depressing. The last two names in this thread? Are you serious?

Kingsby: Appears to have not even started for his Juco team (http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/div1/players/danyakingsbysncg). To put his 13.3 points per game in context, his team averaged 100.8 points per game.

Willis: Where to even begin, he came off the bench to play 18.5 minutes a game for a 12-20 Vanderbilt team. He shot 34.8%! from the field and 65.7% from the line. Pitino is considering giving up the use of a scholarship for the 2018 season to wait a year for a kid who was not effective at Vanderbilt?

This is Limar Wilson, Engen Nurumbi, Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin type stuff.

This thread has become unbelievably depressing. The last two names in this thread? Are you serious?

Kingsby: Appears to have not even started for his Juco team (http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/div1/players/danyakingsbysncg). To put his 13.3 points per game in context, his team averaged 100.8 points per game.

Willis: Where to even begin, he came off the bench to play 18.5 minutes a game for a 12-20 Vanderbilt team. He shot 34.8%! from the field and 65.7% from the line. Pitino is considering giving up the use of a scholarship for the 2018 season to wait a year for a kid who was not effective at Vanderbilt?

This is Limar Wilson, Engen Nurumbi, Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin type stuff.

Kingsby has a 42 inch vertical and shot nearly 40% from three in his two seasons in Juco ball. Those are things you can work with. He was on a very good JUCO team that finished runner up and also had the NJCAA player of the year and another JUCO all-american, so that likely would eat into his touches.

I do agree with you that Willis is underwhelming, but he is a former top 150 talent. Maybe a change of scenery and a redshirt year would do him a bit of good.

Willis isn't a bad player if you have watched him play. It doesn't hurt that he played on the same AAU team as Eric Curry either.

Willis isn't a bad player if you have watched him play. It doesn't hurt that he played on the same AAU team as Eric Curry either.

Well, maybe, but here are two sophs this past season:

Player#----Minutes Played----PER----Win Shares/40 min----Win Shares

1)----573----10----.047----.7

2)----608----8.3---.049----.7

The first one is Payton Willis. The second one is Michael Hurt. They both played a fair number of minutes but for terrible teams and a big part of the reason these teams were terrible is that they were playing guys like this a fair number of minutes.

Kingsby has a 42 inch vertical and shot nearly 40% from three in his two seasons in Juco ball. Those are things you can work with. He was on a very good JUCO team that finished runner up and also had the NJCAA player of the year and another JUCO all-american, so that likely would eat into his touches.

I do agree with you that Willis is underwhelming, but he is a former top 150 talent. Maybe a change of scenery and a redshirt year would do him a bit of good.

I think Kingsby is worth the risk since he has demonstrated some talent, albeit in the JUCO ranks, and he can play right away.

As far as Willis being a top 150 player, are you going to go with some ratings out of high school or are you going to go with the actual evidence from two years of D1 playing time? I have no hesitation about which measure I would choose. The people who do these ratings aren't scientists. They're more like college sophomores searching the internet and plagiarizing each others' work. There are plenty of top 150 rated players who had really lackluster careers and plenty of non-rated players who were, in reality, top 150 players and some were even top 50 players.

I think Kingsby is worth the risk since he has demonstrated some talent, albeit in the JUCO ranks, and he can play right away.

As far as Willis being a top 150 player, are you going to go with some ratings out of high school or are you going to go with the actual evidence from two years of D1 playing time? I have no hesitation about which measure I would choose. The people who do these ratings aren't scientists. They're more like college sophomores searching the internet and plagiarizing each others' work. There are plenty of top 150 rated players who had really lackluster careers and plenty of non-rated players who were, in reality, top 150 players and some were even top 50 players.

I think Kingsby is worth the risk. CG who can shoot and handle. Many times he played more minutes than the starters. If he's a bust then he's only here for 2 years.

As far as Willis is concerned, his numbers don't pop out like you would like. Sometimes a redshirt year can pay dividends towards player development. I am assuming that if he's taking a visit then he will have an offer and can commit at any time.

I am curious if they would take all 3 guards, Mcgowens, Kingsby and Willis. Or if they would save that last scholarship for a grad transfer wing player. I am hoping they would take 2 of the 3 then a grad transfer who can split time at 2 or 3. Doesn't need to set the world on fire, but simply to provide some depth.

Still want Trey McGowen

Me too! any word on how the visit went? man I was holding out hope that he was going to commit while here!

Kingsby, sounds like would be a solid addition if we miss out on Trey

I think Kingsby is worth the risk. CG who can shoot and handle. Many times he played more minutes than the starters. If he's a bust then he's only here for 2 years.

As far as Willis is concerned, his numbers don't pop out like you would like. Sometimes a redshirt year can pay dividends towards player development. I am assuming that if he's taking a visit then he will have an offer and can commit at any time.

I am curious if they would take all 3 guards, Mcgowens, Kingsby and Willis. Or if they would save that last scholarship for a grad transfer wing player. I am hoping they would take 2 of the 3 then a grad transfer who can split time at 2 or 3. Doesn't need to set the world on fire, but simply to provide some depth.

At this stage of the game, I am not in favor of a sit out transfer unless there is solid evidence he can be a real contributor when he is eligible. So far, I haven't seen that evidence in anyone we're looking at. We need at least one and hopefully two, bodies that can be rotation players right away. McGowens looks like he qualifies. Kingsby might. Willis doesn't.

I have not heard anything on how his visit went.

I did check my twitter feed about 20 times last night hoping to see a commitment.

It's misleading to paint Kingsby as a benchwarmer though - he was 3rd on their team in both minutes and points per game. He's basically their Donte Divincenzo. It's not like their team was trash either - I think he'd be fine as a JUCO get.

I don't know enough about Willis to opine - in general I agree that the bar should be higher for a sit-out transfer. For play right away guys (JUCO / GT specifically) keep in mind we are replacing Fitzgerald and Jamir Harris. Kingsby has real potential to be a talent upgrade in that respect.

Top Bottom