All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I wonder, Tyus left after one year, right? Or did he play 2 years? I don't follow the home boys that leave anymore, once they leave.

But my question is, what would be better long term for the program, to bring in a Tre and be able to brag of closing the borders and having a Top 10 like recruiting class and all the national attention such things bring to the program, not to mention the effect having a guy like Tre in the lineup could do to our win/loss record the year or two he was here.

OR

would it be better to have a guy like Hinton come on board who is far more likely to stick around for 4-5 years. Would have less of an immediate impact probably, but might be better for the long term health of the program? And not saying Tre has an ego or would be a cancerous presence like Mr. Kardashian was the year he came in, but its a lot less likely that a guy like Hinton would have a negative impact compared to a kid like Tre who has an older brother like Tyus.

The likelihood of Tre being a negative impact on any team is extremely low. The kid is an incredibly hard worker and a fantastic teammate. In your scenario (assuming we have a choice in the matter) you always take the best player and when its Tre Jones, it's a no-brainer.

Go Gophers!!

I wonder, Tyus left after one year, right? Or did he play 2 years? I don't follow the home boys that leave anymore, once they leave.

But my question is, what would be better long term for the program, to bring in a Tre and be able to brag of closing the borders and having a Top 10 like recruiting class and all the national attention such things bring to the program, not to mention the effect having a guy like Tre in the lineup could do to our win/loss record the year or two he was here.

OR

would it be better to have a guy like Hinton come on board who is far more likely to stick around for 4-5 years. Would have less of an immediate impact probably, but might be better for the long term health of the program? And not saying Tre has an ego or would be a cancerous presence like Mr. Kardashian was the year he came in, but its a lot less likely that a guy like Hinton would have a negative impact compared to a kid like Tre who has an older brother like Tyus.

Tre without a doubt. That would really launch Minnesota into the national consciousness along with the fact that he's the better player by some margin.

I probably agree with both of you guys. I might be trying to make myself feel better about our situation if Tre doesn't decide to play for the Gophers. lol

And I guess our situation is a lot different than it was when Mr. Kardashian came along. And that is good to read what you said about Tre. I really do hope he chooses to stay home.

Our 4 guys might not be one of those super teams they are talking about, or on par with the Fab 5, but they probably cost a lot less and won't result in any punishments after the fact, and 3 of the 4 would probably stick around a long time. And there is no guarantee that Tre would or could leave early? It's definitely looking like he could, but who knows?

Don't blame Humphries because guys like Boone Hargrove didn't perform. Humphries dad is a whole different matter, but Kris loves the U and has a good relationship with Pitino

The Gophers really need a home run with the 4th available scholarship. Obviously, Tre is the dream and maybe that dream is closer to reality than we think. If it's not Tre, I'd hope they can land someone between 6'5 and 6'8 that can play the 2 or 3 and can get his own shot. To me, that's the biggest need on the roster going forward with only Amir fitting that profile. It's especially important when most of your bigs don't project to stretch the floor.

I'd argue PG is the biggest need

OR

You take Tre and you don't blink, even if there is concern he'll leave early to graduate. This team can compete now, elevating current play can get attention of other higher recruits to keep filling the gaps.

OR

How is this a question?

There will be a Hinton in the 2019 class.

OR

I'm not sold Tre will be a one and done. Would not surpsirse me at all if he were a 3 year guy. Right now Tyus at Tre's age was a little bit better of a player and had it not been for Duke's amazing tourney run and Tyus's amazing performance in the final 4, he likely would have been a mid second round pick and could have definitely came back. Tre is a little worse than Tyus was at this point, not by a lot but by a little so assuming Tre doesn't win final 4 MVP as a freshman and lead his team to a national title, he is not very likely to be a first rounder, more like a mid-late second rounder IMO and likely to come back. His game, like Tyus, is more suited to the college level than the NBA level due to a lack of elite size or athleticism.

I'm not sold Tre will be a one and done. Would not surpsirse me at all if he were a 3 year guy. Right now Tyus at Tre's age was a little bit better of a player and had it not been for Duke's amazing tourney run and Tyus's amazing performance in the final 4, he likely would have been a mid second round pick and could have definitely came back. Tre is a little worse than Tyus was at this point, not by a lot but by a little so assuming Tre doesn't win final 4 MVP as a freshman and lead his team to a national title, he is not very likely to be a first rounder, more like a mid-late second rounder IMO and likely to come back. His game, like Tyus, is more suited to the college level than the NBA level due to a lack of elite size or athleticism.

Who is/was more athletic at the senior year of HS stage? Also the Howard pulley website has Tre listed as 6'4" 180(I can't find what Pulley listed Tyus as in HS). if that is his actual height and weight he is taller than Tyus and that will add to his NBA projections (and value). In other words if he really is taller and more athletic than his older brother then he will be a lottery pick or end of first at the worst even without a championship run. The NBA drafts on potential and less what a player currently is at.

Edit: updated 1 year ago USA basketball listed Tre at 6'2.5" so it's entirely possible he is 6"4" and that might not be exaggerated while the same website has Tyus at 6'0".

Who is/was more athletic at the senior year of HS stage? Also the Howard pulley website has Tre listed as 6'4" 180(I can't find what Pulley listed Tyus as in HS). if that is his actual height and weight he is taller than Tyus and that will add to his NBA projections (and value). In other words if he really is taller and more athletic than his older brother then he will be a lottery pick or end of first at the worst even without a championship run. The NBA drafts on potential and less what a player currently is at.

Edit: updated 1 year ago USA basketball listed Tre at 6'2.5" so it's entirely possible he is 6"4" and that might not be exaggerated while the same website has Tyus at 6'0".

I saw Gabe and Tre stand next to each other at the Pro am and Gabe was definitely 2 inches taller so it's safe to say Tre is about 6-2 and Gabe is 6-4.

OR

You definitely take Tre. For Pitino to take the next level in recruiting he is going to have to point to multiple of his players playing in the NBA. Guaranteed it's a stumbling block for Tre now when looking at Minnesota be Duke. The sooner you can put that feather in your cap you do it.

You've got a team full of 4 year guys. I don't think it kills the program to have 1 super talented kid out of 14 that leaves after a year

The question shouldn't be whether you take Tre, it's how long do you wait for him. I'd hate to miss out one other good players and then be jolted by Tre in the end anyway.

The question shouldn't be whether you take Tre, it's how long do you wait for him. I'd hate to miss out one other good players and then be jolted by Tre in the end anyway.

I would be shocked if they waited for Tre. It's my personal opinion, no inside sources, but there's no way they wait for Tre. They will spend their last scholarship and if Tre wants to come, don't worry they'll find room

I would be shocked if they waited for Tre. It's my personal opinion, no inside sources, but there's no way they wait for Tre. They will spend their last scholarship and if Tre wants to come, don't worry they'll find room

I think if we already have 4 guys and Tre wants to commit then I think Pitino would have no problem telling Fitz after he's already graduated to take his 6th year somewhere else or to just hang it up.

I think if we already have 4 guys and Tre wants to commit then I think Pitino would have no problem telling Fitz after he's already graduated to take his 6th year somewhere else or to just hang it up.

Lets just say he'll find room. you might not want Fitz to go when all is said and done.

Don't blame Humphries because guys like Boone Hargrove didn't perform. Humphries dad is a whole different matter, but Kris loves the U and has a good relationship with Pitino

Boone wasn't on the team with Humpries though...And Kris never thought about passing ever

Tre is way more athletic than Tyus was and a better defender. It's not even close

per Jace:

Something about Gophers home basketball games last season stood out to Jarvis Thomas.

When Michael Hurt, a freshman forward from Rochester, would check in at the scorer’s table, Thomas recalled, “The crowd would just erupt.”

“It’s ridiculous,” Thomas said. “People, they love the in-state kids.”

They’ll be getting a few more of them soon. Moments after DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur announced his commitment to the University of Minnesota this week, he threw his arms around Daniel Oturu and Thomas — fellow Gophers commits from the Class of 2018 — and posed for pictures.

“They’ve done a great job in terms of identifying these kids when they were younger and making them a priority, and the fruits of their labor have paid off,” said Paul Biancardi, ESPN’s national director of recruiting. “Now, with this class, it shows that they’ve made in-roads in the state, and that’s so important, because there’s some really good talent in the state of Minnesota.”

“I feel like the coaching staff is recruiting in-state kids now, where past coaching staffs, I don’t know how much they really recruited in state, those types of kids,” said Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones, likely the Gophers’ top 2018 target. “I feel like the prospects in Minnesota have proven in the past what they can do in the college level, and so the coaching staff here sees that and are going after in-state kids.”

img_6317-2.jpg

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...rs-basketball-team-secures-states-top-talent/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like we are in better shape with Hunter than most thought. Good news with Tre being all but gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sounds like we are in better shape with Hunter than most thought. Good news with Tre being all but gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Not my first time saying this but give me one of Hunter, Zegarowski or Green and I'd be thrilled

Source? Certainly hope this is true, looks like a really nice player.

It does seem Tre is going to be a tough sell - hard to compete with the full force of Duke recruiting coming after him. All we can hope for is he has a soft spot for home town / is excited about playing with EYBL teammates / wants to strike a new path from his bro / reads GH message boards and sympathizes with our plight

Still curious why we think we have good news on Hunter? I know 247 isn't end all be all, but Xavier recently offered and they have him at 100%.

Still curious why we think we have good news on Hunter? I know 247 isn't end all be all, but Xavier recently offered and they have him at 100%.

That 100% is based off of one prediction. He has a lot of good offers and hasn't given any hints as to where he's going; so most experts arent prepared to make a prediction

It does seem Tre is going to be a tough sell - hard to compete with the full force of Duke recruiting coming after him. All we can hope for is he has a soft spot for home town / is excited about playing with EYBL teammates / wants to strike a new path from his bro / reads GH message boards and sympathizes with our plight

http://scout.com/college/minnesota/...ould-fit-with-the-Minnesota-program-105493147

This was posted Wednesday. Its behind a paywall (That I don't have) so I don't know what it actually says in the article but the headline is nice.

Top Bottom