All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Zags says Pitt or Clemson:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Colorado State transfer Prentiss Nixon committed to Iowa State.

per Shama:

It appears guard Payton Willis saw a crowded and talented roster at Vanderbilt, and decided on transferring to Minnesota. The Commodores have one of the nation’s top recruiting classes for 2018. Willis was a reserve his first two seasons at Vanderbilt and after sitting out next season will have two more years of eligibility with Minnesota.

The 6-4 Willis started four games as a sophomore and five as a freshman for Vandy, averaging about five points per game both seasons. The Gophers have experience and depth issues with their guard roster for next season and 2019-2020.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

We are just getting destroyed on the recruiting trail this Spring. For example, Marquette got a better sit out transfer in Koby McEwen recently and before that got a grad transfer in Joseph Chartouny who chose them over Louisville. Now we lose out on McGowens who didn't even have a Pitt offer until after his visit to Minnesota.

We are just getting destroyed on the recruiting trail this Spring. For example, Marquette got a better sit out transfer in Koby McEwen recently and before that got a grad transfer in Joseph Chartouny who chose them over Louisville. Now we lose out on McGowens who didn't even have a Pitt offer until after his visit to Minnesota.

If we're being honest, we have no idea how these guy are going to perform in different systems with different teammates and we especially don't have any idea why grad transfers are choosing certain schools. Maybe they have friends on the team? Maybe they don't think they'll start here (they probably won't). It's silly to say we're getting destroyed.

It's ugly. One of the main reasons I was okay with Pitino was his ability to recruit. I sure hope the new practice facility helps with 2019 recruits.

It's ugly. One of the main reasons I was okay with Pitino was his ability to recruit. I sure hope the new practice facility helps with 2019 recruits.

So far, we have not helped ourselves for next season, which should have been highest priority. "Destroyed" is overstated. There is still time.

Jeff Capel is known as a strong recruiter. Pretty sure he was the lead guy on most of Duke’s big fish one and done recruits. Plus didn’t Pitt have like 8 players transfer. Maybe McGowens wants big minutes in his freshman year, which is probably more likely at Pitt, assuming he’s reclassifying to 2018. In fact, the JuCo point guard we’re pursuing, Danya Kingsby, was committed to Pitt until Kevin Stallings was fired.

Other schools are getting commits from guys we wanted, but there are still good players out there. I’m not freaking out.

Didn't expect to get McGowens anyways so that is fine. Will be disappointed if we don't get Stull, and I think we really need him.

So far, we have not helped ourselves for next season, which should have been highest priority. "Destroyed" is overstated. There is still time.

furthermore, unless your a blue blood you miss on recruits more than you hit. The past classes he had time to sell, that is not so easy now. This roster is pretty deep with very good players. I would have hoped for more traction and more appearance at the 2019 and 20 kids in Dallas but there is no doubt he had a good reason.

If we're being honest, we have no idea how these guy are going to perform in different systems with different teammates and we especially don't have any idea why grad transfers are choosing certain schools. Maybe they have friends on the team? Maybe they don't think they'll start here (they probably won't). It's silly to say we're getting destroyed.

Do the reasons really matter? There's a certain amount of randomness to all things involving multiple decision makers. Remember, "luck" counts too.

Some of his teams have over performed, some have under performed.

Yeah, well right now he's running 3 to 1 in favor of the "under" type. You say that I'm being selective in memory but I think my weighting of good vs. bad reflects the empirical results.

Yeah, well right now he's running 3 to 1 in favor of the "under" type. You say that I'm being selective in memory but I think my weighting of good vs. bad reflects the empirical results.

I have him at Over perform in years 1 and 4. Under perform in years 2, 3 and 5. That said I give him a total pass on last year because that just was not a coaching issue. It was a perfect storm that no coach would survive.

I had zero expectations for year one- that was not a great squad he inherited. The pickup of lil Dre was to his credit and he made the team gel that year.

So my pollyana view is that he is 2-2-1 on the performance charts.

I have him at Over perform in years 1 and 4. Under perform in years 2, 3 and 5. That said I give him a total pass on last year because that just was not a coaching issue. It was a perfect storm that no coach would survive.

I had zero expectations for year one- that was not a great squad he inherited. The pickup of lil Dre was to his credit and he made the team gel that year.

Year 1 was not an over-perform. Not saying it was under-perform, but when you return your top 2 scorers and go from Round of 32 to no NCAA tournament I don't understand how one can see that as a positive. (Proceed with the excuses...)

Did you write that with a straight face? Compared to who?

The starting lineup and front-court depth should be very good. Depth in the backcourt is a big concern right now though. If we get both Kingsby and Stull, we're going to be in great shape.

The starting lineup and front-court depth should be very good. Depth in the backcourt is a big concern right now though. If we get both Kingsby and Stull, we're going to be in great shape.

Call me naive, but if Gabe can be a regular rotation player, solid contributor, and play B1G defense, we'll be fine. I'm not big on relying on typical freshmen, but I do think that Gabe's ability to fill a major hole in shooting and on defense will make a huge difference in the success of next season's team.

Call me naive, but if Gabe can be a regular rotation player, solid contributor, and play B1G defense, we'll be fine. I'm not big on relying on typical freshmen, but I do think that Gabe's ability to fill a major hole in shooting and on defense will make a huge difference in the success of next season's team.

If he can be a solid Big Ten player as a freshman, then that will be big for our depth at the 2. Still need a PG/CG though. I'm not under the impression that Kingsby would be anything special, but a commitment from him would be really valuable for depth purposes.

I have Gabe counted in. The reality of college basketball today is that the better freshmen can play right away and most teams will have one or more that factor into the rotation significantly. AAU ball has not been great for some reasons but in terms of making these guys ready against better competition it has changed the game. None of our 3 has to start but I think Oturo will eventually.

I don't disagree about the front court but much depends upon Curry's health, what Stockman does, and whether Oturu plays like an instant hit or a player who is still a year away. We also can't be sure if Coffey picks up where he left off before nagging injuries. I agree that getting those two guys mentioned for the backcourt would help tremendously but it's not like other Big Ten teams are just sitting on their hands and doing nothing to plug their holes. And, since those guys aren't on the team yet, I'm not going to count them as part of our current roster.

I suppose you could call Year 1 an over-performance. I certainly enjoyed the post-season ride. But, he inherited veteran parts (he deserves credit for adding DeAndre and forcing Walker into playing shape). I would call Year 1 neither an over nor an under. Remember that they still finished only 8-10 in the conference.

I don't disagree about the front court but much depends upon Curry's health, what Stockman does, and whether Oturu plays like an instant hit or a player who is still a year away. We also can't be sure if Coffey picks up where he left off before nagging injuries. I agree that getting those two guys mentioned for the backcourt would help tremendously but it's not like other Big Ten teams are just sitting on their hands and doing nothing to plug their holes. And, since those guys aren't on the team yet, I'm not going to count them as part of our current roster.

What injuries are you talking about? I only remember the shoulder, which was his non-shooting arm. I'd be shocked if he can't pick up where he left off.

I suppose you could call Year 1 an over-performance. I certainly enjoyed the post-season ride. But, he inherited veteran parts (he deserves credit for adding DeAndre and forcing Walker into playing shape). I would call Year 1 neither an over nor an under. Remember that they still finished only 8-10 in the conference.

I believe they were picked much lower than that.

I really just don’t agree with your outlook on our roster. You keep presenting a string of worst case scenarios that would rival last year. To paraphrase, you are anticipating:

1. Coffey plays all year at the level he did last year because of an injury last year
2. Curry is not considerably more impactful than two physically limited guys in Hurt and while playing the 4, and is not considerably more impactful than Diedhu and BK while playing the 5
3. A top 50 recruit known for his defense (which translates more rapidly than offensive skill) is not more impactful than BK and Diedhu
4. Stockman’s reserve minutes are not more impactful than BK and Diedhu
5. No one who is healthy steps up or improves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I really just don’t agree with your outlook on our roster. You keep presenting a string of worst case scenarios that would rival last year. To paraphrase, you are anticipating:

1. Coffey plays all year at the level he did last year because of an injury last year
2. Curry is not considerably more impactful than two physically limited guys in Hurt and while playing the 4, and is not considerably more impactful than Diedhu and BK while playing the 5
3. A top 50 recruit known for his defense (which translates more rapidly than offensive skill) is not more impactful than BK and Diedhu
4. Stockman’s reserve minutes are not more impactful than BK and Diedhu
5. No one who is healthy steps up or improves

Yeah, he is beyond pessimistic.

Stull would be a solid shooting guard:

The 6-foot-4 Stull, the 6-2 Bell and the 6-7 Nze all said they want to try and play at the high-major level. Each player confirmed that the only condition placed on their release was that they're not allowed to transfer to another Horizon League school.

Stull, of Rockford, Ill., will be eligible to play immediately at his next destination because he’s graduating this semester with a degree in criminal justice and spent four years in the program after redshirting as a freshman. He developed into UWM's most well-rounded player, averaging 13.4 points, 4.8 points and 3.1 assists this past season.

UWM-Milwaukee's Brock Stull.

“That’s pretty much been the main thing,” Stull said. “You work this hard to get to where you want to be. I was hesitating on what I wanted to do. But the opportunity’s there to move up a level. I think that’s the final goal.”

Please, please please. If for no other reason than to shut everyone up on the stupid debate of whether or not Pitino can recruit.

So about that stupid debate.

Top Bottom