All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

A LATE YEAR ADD FOR THE POWER RUNG

Settling in for an 8am contest featuring the Kingdom Hoops program, I was joined by a handful of assistant coaches from Minnesota, Kansas State, Wofford, Loyola Chicago, Siena and Marist. A team that has good talent for the various levels within the division-1 level, Minnesota and Kansas State came to see potentially their last piece of its 2018-2019 roster, that being Nathan Johnson.

A 6-foot-7 senior that could enroll in college next month, Johnson is someone that can play either forward position. Known primarily for his shooting skills, he can do more than just that as he brought a heady approach to the frontcourt. He can attack the closeout, move the ball efficiently within the half-court and put it on the floor before scoring off of the straight-line drive attack.

Currently, Johnson is planning on attending Hargrave Military Academy in the fall for a prep year. He could play things out a little longer to see if a power conference program is willing to jump in with an offer. Minnesota, Kansas State and Boston College are just a few keeping an eye on him as he could ultimately develop into a floor stretching forward for this coming season.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...itney-shows-strengths-midwest-prospects-emege

Go Gophers!!

Oh God, Pitino better know what he's doing. Don't want a guy that everybody passed over just because we want a body. Obviously I'd rather have a grad transfer that barely sees the floor instead of a 4 year player that barely sees the floor.

Zero interest in this kid lets not make a late mistake to compound the issue of missing out on a ton of out of state kids in the 2018 class.

Zero interest in this kid lets not make a late mistake to compound the issue of missing out on a ton of out of state kids in the 2018 class.

Out of curiosity. Do you think you are a batter talent evaluator than Richard Patino? That is basically what you are saying.

Out of curiosity. Do you think you are a batter talent evaluator than Richard Patino? That is basically what you are saying.

It's pretty likely that I am a better talent evaluator than Richard Patino. As for Richard Pitino? hopefully not. This one doesn't seem like a very difficult decision though. An Iowa kid without an offer from either Iowa or Iowa State? PASS. A kid without a single D-1 offer as of November of his Senior season of high school (https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ecome-ncaa-division-one-recruits/821621001/)? PASS. A player who was described as having low to mid major talent (same article) as of November of his Senior season? PASS. This kid didn't even get a solid offer in the Spring where teams (including the Gophers) typically reach for players who have no business playing high major basketball.

I can't remember the last kid Minnesota took this late that actually worked out, and this kids profile certainly doesn't suggest he would reverse that trend. They haven't offered the kid, so it's probably not even something worth worrying about, but if they did I'd be quite disappointed.

Fair enough. I would trust Richard patino,, Bruce Webber, Tim Miles, the Loyola Chicago coach, who just went to the final four over you. Kids get better. That’s why you never hear of kids and they go to juco and become all American and high profile recruits.

It's pretty likely that I am a better talent evaluator than Richard Patino. As for Richard Pitino? hopefully not. This one doesn't seem like a very difficult decision though. An Iowa kid without an offer from either Iowa or Iowa State? PASS. A kid without a single D-1 offer as of November of his Senior season of high school (https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ecome-ncaa-division-one-recruits/821621001/)? PASS. A player who was described as having low to mid major talent (same article) as of November of his Senior season? PASS. This kid didn't even get a solid offer in the Spring where teams (including the Gophers) typically reach for players who have no business playing high major basketball.

I can't remember the last kid Minnesota took this late that actually worked out, and this kids profile certainly doesn't suggest he would reverse that trend. They haven't offered the kid, so it's probably not even something worth worrying about, but if they did I'd be quite disappointed.

Last I checked, Kansas State has made it to 7 of the past 9 NCAA tourneys and Bruce Weber knows his way around a gym.

Last I checked, Kansas State has made it to 7 of the past 9 NCAA tourneys and Bruce Weber knows his way around a gym.

Agreed. KSU just made the Elite 8. The gophers have only won 1 tourney game in 21 years.....so there's that.

Everyone getting worked up about a staff doing their due diligence is interesting here. All they did was watch the kid play a few games and see if he had improved as much as people are saying.

I can't find it now, but Damian Johnson replied to a tweet on the subject of how so many Minnesota kids get overlooked or underrated in the national recruiting scene. His point was that so many coaches don't have the confidence to believe their own eyes and instead rely on their peers' evaluations or those of recruiting services. That's always the danger of hiring a young coach - unless they're a natural at evaluating talent, they may not have the confidence, knowhow or boldness to go their own way on a recruit. As far as whether any of us are better talent evaluators than "Patino," I certainly don't know basketball as well as he does, but I will not sell myself short: I do know talent when I see it.

Fair enough. I would trust Richard patino,, Bruce Webber, Tim Miles, the Loyola Chicago coach, who just went to the final four over you. Kids get better. That’s why you never hear of kids and they go to juco and become all American and high profile recruits.

I think the concern is a coach on the hot seat reaching for a guy who might help him marginally this year but suck up a roster spot the next 3 years that would be better used elsewhere.

I can't find it now, but Damian Johnson replied to a tweet on the subject of how so many Minnesota kids get overlooked or underrated in the national recruiting scene. His point was that so many coaches don't have the confidence to believe their own eyes and instead rely on their peers' evaluations or those of recruiting services. That's always the danger of hiring a young coach - unless they're a natural at evaluating talent, they may not have the confidence, knowhow or boldness to go their own way on a recruit. As far as whether any of us are better talent evaluators than "Patino," I certainly don't know basketball as well as he does, but I will not sell myself short: I do know talent when I see it.

And while there is a level of talent you don't pass up, you should always go for guys that will fit your system best.

My theory would be different. If nobody is using a scholarship and someone could help. Why not take them. Not only that but the kid is on the rise. So basically if he don't work out. He could be told to seek a transfer at the end of the year. However, if you find a diamond in the rough who is getting better. You might get a steal on the last month of the 2018 recruiting Cycle.

I mean Pitino certainly had the confidence bring in underrated guys like Murphy and Mason. Also had he lost out on Curry, I think he would have brought in that Maple Grove kid who went to Mizzou. Pitino also brought in Gabe and Omersa who seem to be all over the place with their evals

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I mean Pitino certainly had the confidence bring in underrated guys like Murphy and Mason. Also had he lost out on Curry, I think he would have brought in that Maple Grove kid who went to Mizzou. Pitino also brought in Gabe and Omersa who seem to be all over the place with their eval

Missed big on Wright, kid was absolutely amazing last night at the Pro-Am.

Missed big on Wright, kid was absolutely amazing last night at the Pro-Am.
He recruited Wright hard and gave him the opportunity to commit before Washington, Wright chose not too and he even tried to get him to go to prep school so he could take him in 18

He recruited Wright hard and gave him the opportunity to commit

I'm aware. We were in his top ~2 years ago. Turns out it was a huge miss.. bigger than we knew at the time;

I know many will disagree with me but I've watched Wright play 8-10 times and if he goes elsewhere, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Sims and John are the prizes in this recruiting class.

https://twitter.com/MikeSorenson1/status/1024326502060642304

IThis one doesn't seem like a very difficult decision though. An Iowa kid without an offer from either Iowa or Iowa State? PASS. A kid without a single D-1 offer as of November of his Senior season of high school (https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ecome-ncaa-division-one-recruits/821621001/)? PASS. A player who was described as having low to mid major talent (same article) as of November of his Senior season? PASS. This kid didn't even get a solid offer in the Spring where teams (including the Gophers) typically reach for players who have no business playing high major basketball.

I have no opinion on this kid, but here is a player who received only one D1 offer and that was from a small university in his home metro:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mccontj01.html

He went to that school (Duquesne) and started there for two years as a point guard; then he transferred to Arizona and started there for two years as a point guard. After his college career, he was not drafted but he was signed as a free agent by the infamous Sam Hinkie and has been a valuable reserve point guard for the Sixers ever since. He's now going into his 4th year in the league.

That's not a typical story I guess but good players are overlooked all the time.

I'm aware. We were in his top ~2 years ago. Turns out it was a huge miss.. bigger than we knew at the time;

https://twitter.com/MikeSorenson1/status/1024326502060642304
How is it a miss if we wanted him? A miss is when you ignore a recruit like a Jordan Taylor and they go to the rival school and torch you

How is it a miss if we wanted him? A miss is when you ignore a recruit like a Jordan Taylor and they go to the rival school and torch you

Even Taylor wasn't a miss. He recruited Wisconsin, and he was a completely different player by his sophomore year than he was in high school.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

My dad worked with Jordan Taylor's mom back when he was in HS. We always had zero chance at getting him. He wanted to be a Badger from the start and never really considered anywhere else.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting. Highly rated out of HS (#38 on 247 composite), had a decent abbreviated freshman season at Arizona St., and then did diddly poo at Kansas.

per Marcus:

CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein reported Wednesday that Minnesota and Maryland were interested in Kansas transfer Sam Cunliffe, who announced recently he was leaving the Jayhawks.

A source confirmed to the Star Tribune that the U has serious interest in Cunliffe, who has two years remaining but needs to sit this year. The 6-foot-6 former starting wing at Arizona State, though, told the Seattle Times he wanted to be closer to home. The Seattle native is meeting with Washington Huskies soon.

“I’m definitely looking at,” Cunliffe said in the Times article. “I’ll see if I can figure something out with them.”

The Huskies have an open scholarship, but it's not for certain that they take him. If that doesn’t work out Cunliffe could consider other programs like Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-still-looking-for-options-with-last-2018-scholarship/489907001/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

The standard NCAA rule is for non-graduate transfers to sit out one year at their new school, but Gophers coach Richard Pitino confirmed recently the U is seeking a waiver for Carr to play immediately. Pitino has no idea what the timetable would be for the NCAA to make a determination on Carr’s waiver request once it has been filed.

“We’re going to send in a waiver and take it from there,” Pitino said in July. “That’s kind of all we really know just yet. You never know with all of that’s stuff.”

Gophers compliance director Jeremiah Carter could only comment generally on the waiver process for players stating “The length of the process varies depending on the circumstances of the case and can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for a final ruling.”

Carter also stated: “A member institution is responsible for explaining within the waiver why they believe that the particular rule should not be applied based on some type of extraordinary or extenuating circumstances. The institution is also responsible for presenting objective documentation to back up whatever claim that they are making. The appropriate NCAA waiver team will review the waiver and also previous case precedent and guidelines from NCAA committees (which are made up of individuals from the NCAA membership) to determine whether or not the information presented warrants granting the waiver of NCAA rules.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...nsfer-marcus-carr-to-play-in-18-19/489997411/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

The standard NCAA rule is for non-graduate transfers to sit out one year at their new school, but Gophers coach Richard Pitino confirmed recently the U is seeking a waiver for Carr to play immediately. Pitino has no idea what the timetable would be for the NCAA to make a determination on Carr’s waiver request once it has been filed.

“We’re going to send in a waiver and take it from there,” Pitino said in July. “That’s kind of all we really know just yet. You never know with all of that’s stuff.”

Gophers compliance director Jeremiah Carter could only comment generally on the waiver process for players stating “The length of the process varies depending on the circumstances of the case and can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for a final ruling.”

Carter also stated: “A member institution is responsible for explaining within the waiver why they believe that the particular rule should not be applied based on some type of extraordinary or extenuating circumstances. The institution is also responsible for presenting objective documentation to back up whatever claim that they are making. The appropriate NCAA waiver team will review the waiver and also previous case precedent and guidelines from NCAA committees (which are made up of individuals from the NCAA membership) to determine whether or not the information presented warrants granting the waiver of NCAA rules.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...nsfer-marcus-carr-to-play-in-18-19/489997411/

Go Gophers!!

Two transfers to the Florida football team just received waivers that allow them to play right away. Not sure what the details were as to the reasons, but the point is that the NCAA does grant waivers.

A miss can be any recruit you want and don't get.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Top Bottom