All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Why is Strickland long at 6'2"?

I'd rank them this way:
1. Simmons 6'4" there is a reason he is so highly rated. Not a stab in the dark at all. Starts Immediately is my guess.
2. Ramey 6'3" Also not new to the radar, Top 40 recruit who would also most likely start over IW.
3. Strickland 6' 2" Wiscy recruiting him is best sign that he can play. Maybe not as much of a reach as people think.
4. Nowell 5' 8" I want nothing to do with a short defensive liability. Just say no, please!

I am okay taking Strickland as he seems like he might be a decent prospect...that being said, if they take a PG recruit other than Simmons or Ramey, they need to run off Fitzgerald or have assurances another player is transfering. If we take Strickland, I think it is a must to take a grad transfer PG. I would not be comofrtable with PG depth being IW and Strickland.

Do we really have a chance at any of the top 2018 PGs we are recruiting (Simmons or Ramey)? When I read their interviews and look at their recruiting profiles, I don’t hear the Gophers mentioned, nor do I see us listed in their top schools of interest. Is it just me, or does it seem like we are once again on the outside looking in wishing for something we can’t get? Somebody give me some hope. We really need another PG next year and have minutes to give. It seems strange to me how many PGs we recruited hard but missed on for 2018. At this point, it looks to me like Strickland would be a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we really have a chance at any of the top 2018 PGs we are recruiting (Simmons or Ramey)? When I read their interviews and look at their recruiting profiles, I don’t hear the Gophers mentioned, nor do I see us listed in their top schools of interest. Is it just me, or does it seem like we are once again on the outside looking in wishing for something we can’t get? Somebody give me some hope. We really need another PG next year and have minutes to give. It seems strange to me how many PGs we recruited hard but missed on for 2018. At this point, it looks to me like Strickland would be a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that it is very unlikely at this point that we land either Simmons or Ramey...which is a bummer. To your point of us not being able to land a PG earlier in the cycle, I had read something that said a lot of players were aprehensive coming to a program where they would be behind IW on the depth chart...this could be due to them thinking he is a 4 year starter or perhaps nervous about his following and clout and not wanting to be a second fiddle not sure exactly...

As for some hope, Strickland actually appears to be a really solid player. I watched a few games on him and came away pleasantly suprised, that said he is not a day one contributer by any means and should not be counted for big minutes no matter where he goes. I think we would be in good shape if we took him, but we need another PG grad transfer and for that we need a transfer. We will see what happens.

Hoping they are not scared off by IW.

Gentleman, there is nothing to be afraid of. If you are better, you will start. It's not like IW will be a senior next year

Hoping they are not scared off by IW.

Gentleman, there is nothing to be afraid of. If you are better, you will start. It's not like IW will be a senior next year

Being scared off does not seem to be the case with Strickland, Wisconsin has Trice and Davison as returning SO PG's, Minnesota has Washington.

Being scared off does not seem to be the case with Strickland, Wisconsin has Trice and Davison as returning SO PG's, Minnesota has Washington.

Davison more of a combo/2 than true PG. Can't have too many guards imho

If they're scared by Isaiah that shows how much he's respected by his peers or they're afraid to compete and I don't want them.

If they're scared by Isaiah that shows how much he's respected by his peers or they're afraid to compete and I don't want them.

I believe those sentiments were shared earlier in the cycle when IW hadn't played a minute. I would assume opinions have changed since there were stretches where IW wasn't getting court time.

Are the recruits in tune enough to see that IW shined down the stretch? Maybe, the announcers certainly wouldn't shut up about it. But maybe we'll get lucky and bring some healthy competition in as well as some effective rotation to the team.

Touche. If you can play, you should not be afraid of what is in front of you. I'm with Bleed on Strickland though. It seems real odd that as the son of a high profile guy, he would be off the radar until the end. Reminds me of the Ellison guy who chose St. John's over us a few years back. I don't think he had a stellar career there, and maybe even transferred.

Anyone know if Geno Crandall will be eligible for grad transfer?

I thought I remember someone stating that he wasn't going to be eligible to be a grad transfer, but someone can correct me if that isn't the case.

Just looked at UND message board and Crandall is grad transfer eligible. I'm sure there are other point guard grad transfer candidates out there as well, but I would think Crandall would be an excellent get. Averaging 17 ppg, has tournament experience, local guy, would think Pitino would have him as high priority.

Just looked at UND message board and Crandall is grad transfer eligible. I'm sure there are other point guard grad transfer candidates out there as well, but I would think Crandall would be an excellent get. Averaging 17 ppg, has tournament experience, local guy, would think Pitino would have him as high priority.

Went back to UND board and read a more recent post which suggested he's not grad transfer eligible. Bummer if true.

I looked up Geno after IW's rocky start in Janurary and this board went defcon 5 about our PG situation. At the time Geno had hit a bit of a rough patch but it looks like he turned it around in the back half of the year and finished very strong.

Not fair to cherry pick games in which Geno was likely game-planned as the only threat to stop on the team with help, but he STRUGGLED against competition that the Gophers would be playing against. Ceighton held him to 3 points on 1-5 shooting and Nebraska held him to 13 on 3 of 10 shooting.

I looked up Geno after IW's rocky start in Janurary and this board went defcon 5 about our PG situation. At the time Geno had hit a bit of a rough patch but it looks like he turned it around in the back half of the year and finished very strong.

Not fair to cherry pick games in which Geno was likely game-planned as the only threat to stop on the team with help, but he STRUGGLED against competition that the Gophers would be playing against. Ceighton held him to 3 points on 1-5 shooting and Nebraska held him to 13 on 3 of 10 shooting.

I noticed that too. To be fair, he also had an efficient 28, 5, and 5 against Gonzaga.

Player Efficiency Rating of 19 + over the last two seasons. Not spectacular but pretty darn good. I'd take him if he was available and willing.

Yes about the competition, but those teams represented, at least this year, the upper range of talent of the Gopher's competition (we had only five games against the Big Ten top 4). Despite a rough finish, Creighton was a good team with a couple of players with NBA talent. Khyri Thomas, a projected first rounder, is supposed to be a great defender so maybe he guarded Crandall. Nebraska wasn't a great team but they were very consistent in their ability to handle weaker teams.

Player Efficiency Rating of 19 + over the last two seasons. Not spectacular but pretty darn good. I'd take him if he was available and willing.

Yes about the competition, but those teams represented, at least this year, the upper range of talent of the Gopher's competition (we had only five games against the Big Ten top 4). Despite a rough finish, Creighton was a good team with a couple of players with NBA talent. Khyri Thomas, a projected first rounder, is supposed to be a great defender so maybe he guarded Crandall. Nebraska wasn't a great team but they were very consistent in their ability to handle weaker teams.

No doubt. We had guards on this roster go 4-15 over the course of a game or two several times im sure.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Afernee Simmons from IMG academy is on si.com's Mock NBA draft going in the back end of round 1. I guess he is eligible?

Afernee Simmons from IMG academy is on si.com's Mock NBA draft going in the back end of round 1. I guess he is eligible?

Yes, he's eligible for the draft if he so chooses. He did his 4 years of high school before this year at IMG so he will technically be 1 year removed from high school by the NBA Draft.

Crystal Ball has 62% Villanova and 24% Missouri for Ramey, plus a host of other teams interested in him as well.

Crystal Ball has 62% Villanova and 24% Missouri for Ramey, plus a host of other teams interested in him as well.

Ramey is not going to Villanova. Nova got a commit from 5 star PG Jahvon Qunierly after he decommitted from Arizona following the whole FBI thing. Pretty much all the predictions of Ramey to Nova are from a month before Quinerly committed there. I think Nova’s class is full.

Ramey is not going to Villanova. Nova got a commit from 5 star PG Jahvon Qunierly after he decommitted from Arizona following the whole FBI thing. Pretty much all the predictions of Ramey to Nova are from a month before Quinerly committed there. I think Nova’s class is full.

Yeah, just read an article written yesterday that Ramey had cancelled trips to Villanova and UCLA. Article also said he will most likely make his college choice in April with Oklahoma State being a slight favorite over Texas for his services at this point.

Seems like things have gone really quiet. We're on the outside looking in with Ramey and Simons is unrealistic. Are all our eggs in the Tai Strickland basket? Gotta imagine things heat up as state tourneys wrap up but i'm surprised we haven't cast a wider net for the last scholarship.

Seems like things have gone really quiet. We're on the outside looking in with Ramey and Simons is unrealistic. Are all our eggs in the Tai Strickland basket? Gotta imagine things heat up as state tourneys wrap up but i'm surprised we haven't cast a wider net for the last scholarship.

I would imagine grad transfer recruiting will pick up as more teams finish their seasons.

Top Bottom