All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Agreed, we're not a top 15 team next year with our departures. Are we top 4 in the Big 10 conversation? I'd say we are at least in the conversation for contending to be in the top 4, which was a success measure in the past.

We're probably a borderline top 25 team next year. Coffey and Murph will be the leaders. I would say we will have more depth next year with slightly less star power at the top. Both teams assuming the wheels don't fall off can have very good seasons. Gotta keep crutin

We're probably a borderline top 25 team next year. Coffey and Murph will be the leaders. I would say we will have more depth next year with slightly less star power at the top. Both teams assuming the wheels don't fall off can have very good seasons. Gotta keep crutin

I think borderline top 25 is fair. We lose Nate and Lynch, but we regain Curry, we gain Matz, and hopefully a sophomore Isaiah is able to step in and help out, as well as our recruiting class. That team should be deep and athletic, and with more shooting than we'll have this year.

Next year:

PG: Washington
SG: McBrayer, Harris, Kaleschuer
SF: Coffey, Hurt, Fitzgerald
PF: Murphy, Curry, Fitzgerald, Thomas
C: Otero, Matz

Pretty damn thin at PG. Although I see less drop off in the starting 5 which would drop us out of the top 25. Otero could easily replace Reggie and Washington could end up being better than Nate. If we pick up a competent Grad-transfer PG, I don't see why we couldn't be top 15 going into next year. What if Otero blows up in his senior year and rises in the rankings?

I really struggle seeing that much of a drop-off at all.

If anyone leaves early though, we will be worse.

Next year:

PG: Washington
SG: McBrayer, Harris, Kaleschuer
SF: Coffey, Hurt, Fitzgerald
PF: Murphy, Curry, Fitzgerald, Thomas
C: Otero, Matz

Pretty damn thin at PG. Although I see less drop off in the starting 5 which would drop us out of the top 25. Otero could easily replace Reggie and Washington could end up being better than Nate. If we pick up a competent Grad-transfer PG, I don't see why we couldn't be top 15 going into next year. What if Otero blows up in his senior year and rises in the rankings?

I really struggle seeing that much of a drop-off at all.

If anyone leaves early though, we will be worse.

I don't think Oturu EASILY replaces Reggie. I mean nobody easily replaces someone that plays defense at that level. Beyond the stats of blocks his presence in the paint alters so many other things. In time I think Oturu can become a similar style player but from day one there is no way he comes in like that.

I think Washington can be on the level Nate is on but agree that we need another guy that can handle the ball.

Pretty damn thin at PG.

McBrayer or Coffey (maybe even Harris?) can handle the ball as needed for the 10-12 minutes of rest Washington needs each game. We don't have any other natural PGs, true, but we're screwed anyway if Washington gets hurt.

Otero could easily replace Reggie

You think a true freshman is going to come in and be Big Ten DPOY? Really?

(I'd be shocked if Murphy/Curry aren't our starting 4/5 in 2018-19; which position is which doesn't particularly matter.)

Washington could end up being better than Nate.

Possible, but highly doubtful that Washington is better as a sophomore than Mason will be as a senior.

McBrayer or Coffey (maybe even Harris?) can handle the ball as needed for the 10-12 minutes of rest Washington needs each game. We don't have any other natural PGs, true, but we're screwed anyway if Washington gets hurt.

You think a true freshman is going to come in and be Big Ten DPOY? Really?

(I'd be shocked if Murphy/Curry aren't our starting 4/5 in 2018-19; which position is which doesn't particularly matter.)

Possible, but highly doubtful that Washington is better as a sophomore than Mason will be as a senior.

Beat me to it.

It is difficult to see us drop off if you don't value Nate and Reggie to their actual value. When's the last time we had a freshman big come in and perform at a Big 10 DPOY level?

We've not seen Oturo or Washington play 1 minute of D1 competitive basketball and they are already replacing all Big 10 players without drop-off.

I think we will be pretty thin at PG next year even if Washington is healthy. Ball handling matters when you pressured. Mcbrayer had a terrible game last year against Iowa under the press. Coffey dribbles too high and gets poached for steals near the top of the key too often to be a reliable ball handler. I think Coffey might improve and still not be a guy you want handling the ball under pressure. I think Mcbrayer is who he is, which is a good shooter and okay to handle the ball if we aren't being pressed.

per Marcus:

PITINO ON 2018 RECRUITS

For the first time Thursday, Pitino was able to speak publicly about two members of his 2018 recruiting class, Cretin-Derham Hall’s Daniel Oturu and Orono’s Jarvis Thomas Omersa, who signed Wednesday at the start of the early signing period. Pitino couldn’t talk yet about shooting guard Gabe Kalscheur, who will sign 3:30 p.m. Friday at DeLaSalle.

“Both guys I’m extremely excited about,” Pitino said. “We feel like we’ve had back-to-back-to-back really good recruiting classes. And that’s how you turn a program around.”

Pitino raved about the potential of Oturu, a 6-foot-10, 225-pound four-star prospect from Woodbury, Minn. gives the Gophers their third straight top-50 recruit, joining Isaiah Washington in 2017 and Amir Coffey in 2016.

“Daniel I believe is one of the best big guys in the country,” Pitino said. “Some have him ranked top 5 centers in the country. I think he’s talented. I think he’s going to come in and help right away. Bright days ahead for him.”

Omersa, who changed his last name from Thomas last month, is a 6-foot-8, 225-pound freakishly athletic forward who can play multiple positions, Pitino said.

“He’s one of the best athletes that we’ve brought in since we’ve been here,” Pitino said. “He plays extremely hard. Very, very tough. Both guys I expect to be really good players. We always talk about closing down the borders. We’re certainly doing that.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...467223/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

I think we will be pretty thin at PG next year even if Washington is healthy. Ball handling matters when you pressured. Mcbrayer had a terrible game last year against Iowa under the press. Coffey dribbles too high and gets poached for steals near the top of the key too often to be a reliable ball handler. I think Coffey might improve and still not be a guy you want handling the ball under pressure. I think Mcbrayer is who he is, which is a good shooter and okay to handle the ball if we aren't being pressed.

Granted he's a big unknown, but don't forget about Hunt Conroy at PG.

We still have an open scholly and I expect them to go after a PG in the Spring be it a High School recruit or possibly a grad transfer.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Beat me to it.

It is difficult to see us drop off if you don't value Nate and Reggie to their actual value. When's the last time we had a freshman big come in and perform at a Big 10 DPOY level?

We've not seen Oturo or Washington play 1 minute of D1 competitive basketball and they are already replacing all Big 10 players without drop-off.

When the last time we have had a highly ranked big come into the program? Sampson? I don't think anyone believes Oturu will produce at a Lynch level on the defensive end, but if he can stay in the game for longer periods of time it could be just as productive.

In this day and age its not hard to believe that two top 50 recruits can produce at a high level. A mixture of Curry/Oturu could be very effective.

With that being said, I believe they will need to add some kind of grad transfer guard to give us so depth back there. It shouldn't be that hard for the Gophers to pitch PT to a grad transfer. As Mason/Washington/McBrayer will all get big minutes this year, and they can show the grad transfer that. Who knows maybe a year after seeing Harris develop could ease some of the worries in the backcourt. I think next years team could be very comparable to this years team as far as competing goes.

Yeah, I'd rather we not rely on a walk-on to play meaningful minutes

Yeah, honestly I think Stephon Sharp was a great pick-up as a walk-on and while it was great that he stepped up when he had to, he isn't a meaningful player on any team with tournament hopes. I wouldn't expect Conroy to be as good or better than Stephon.

Imagine what it could have been had Tre Jones signed with the Gophers.

When the last time we have had a highly ranked big come into the program? Sampson? I don't think anyone believes Oturu will produce at a Lynch level on the defensive end, but if he can stay in the game for longer periods of time it could be just as productive.

In this day and age its not hard to believe that two top 50 recruits can produce at a high level. A mixture of Curry/Oturu could be very effective.

With that being said, I believe they will need to add some kind of grad transfer guard to give us so depth back there. It shouldn't be that hard for the Gophers to pitch PT to a grad transfer. As Mason/Washington/McBrayer will all get big minutes this year, and they can show the grad transfer that. Who knows maybe a year after seeing Harris develop could ease some of the worries in the backcourt. I think next years team could be very comparable to this years team as far as competing goes.

Spot on. Lynch is a huge loss but I think our front-court will be deeper, if not better next year. Lynch/Murphy/Fitzgerald/Konate becomes Curry/Murphy/Oturu/Fitzgerald. Backcourt is where we will be thinner. Mason/McBrayer/Washington becomes Washington/McBrayer/Harris. If we don't add a grad transfer that's a downgrade on paper.

We still have an open scholly and I expect them to go after a PG in the Spring be it a High School recruit or possibly a grad transfer.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

do we know if there's a scholarship available yet? thought fitz might be getting another year

RP Jr preaches team basketball. If these guys play as a team instead of being selfish, they can go a long way.

no Gabe K on the matrix? assuming that gets updated later today?

Haven't even officially tipped off this season and people are already wringing their hands about our ranking, etc. for next season.

SMHD

Tre "Benedict" Jones

I totally get the draw a kid would have to Duke, NC, Kentucky, etc., and I don’t fault him for his choice, but I personally think he made a mistake. Not from an NBA career standpoint, but from a personal standpoint. 1. Three of his close friends all chose the Gophers. 2. The Gophers are already on the cusp of some very good basketball teams (without him). With him, he could have been a home-town hero, and part of a special group of home-town kids taking our team to a new level. 3. He would get just as many looks from NBA scouts here. 4. His family and friends could watch him in person most every game. Oh, well. Here’s hoping Coach P finds a grad transfer for next year that makes me forget Tre.

In any case, I’m pumped for this season, super happy with RP’s recruiting, and ready to stand up and cheer in the barn. Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally get the draw a kid would have to Duke, NC, Kentucky, etc., and I don’t fault him for his choice, but I personally think he made a mistake. Not from an NBA career standpoint, but from a personal standpoint. 1. Three of his close friends all chose the Gophers. 2. The Gophers are already on the cusp of some very good basketball teams (without him). With him, he could have been a home-town hero, and part of a special group of home-town kids taking our team to a new level. 3. He would get just as many looks from NBA scouts here. 4. His family and friends could watch him in person most every game. Oh, well. Here’s hoping Coach P finds a grad transfer for next year that makes me forget Tre.

In any case, I’m pumped for this season, super happy with RP’s recruiting, and ready to stand up and cheer in the barn. Go Gophers!

No love from me for Tre "Benedict" Jones. Here's hoping Duke gets wrapped up in the FBI investigation and banned from any post season play.

I agree, unlike the thus situation, Tre had a chance to come into a very good situation with some of his closest friends. Darius Garland just committed to Duke tonight. Hope Tre doesn't regret the decision.

No love from me for Tre "Benedict" Jones. Here's hoping Duke gets wrapped up in the FBI investigation and banned from any post season play.

Growing up as a kid, some of my family members would buy me all this duke stuff to try and get me to like them. It worked JJ is probably still one of my favorite players, but my love for the gophers doesn't compare to to my elementary school relationship I have with Duke.

Its just unfortunate to think about what ifs...This was our biggest shot at landing the last Jones, but oh well. He must have not wanted to handle the pressure playing for his hometown team, and sharing that moment with his closest friends. See ya Tre

Life is strange when you grow up learning to cheer for the underdog. As a kid I cheered for Duke against Louisville in the NC game. Later, when they won a couple NCs and coach “buy a vowel” wore on me, I always cheered against them. I was pulling for N Carolina to take down the Dukies every time. Loved the Tar Heels for a while (once the shot clock came in and the 4-corners offense went away). Now the notorious academic fraud goes unpunished and I can’t stand the sight of baby blue. I tried to watch N Iowa in Chapel Hill last night and only made it through five minutes. The University if Null Classes now turns my stomach.

Darius Garland just committed to Duke tonight. Hope Tre doesn't regret the decision.
Where did you see that? R.J. Barrett committed, not Garland. Garland is reportedly announcing in 2 days and Vanderbilt is the heavy favorite, FWIW.

Top Bottom