All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

We've gone from Alvin Ellis, Alex Foster and 2 open scholarships in Tubby's last year to 3 top 150 guys and 1 open scholarship and we're freaking out about it. Have some perspective.

Michigan St. recruits aren't good enough for us now?

Michigan St. recruits aren't good enough for us now?
Alvin Ellis was filler for mich St. You can look this up, but I'm fairly certain he was ranked around 200 composite by the recruiting services. The type of kid that would be a decent "finish" of a recruiting class.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We've gone from Alvin Ellis, Alex Foster and 2 open scholarships in Tubby's last year to 3 top 150 guys and 1 open scholarship and we're freaking out about it. Have some perspective.

To be fair the state of Minnesota had some awful classes tubby's last couple of years, and he had very good success at keeping local talent home. Pitino got the job just as the state of Minnesota became a gold mine for recruiting. Would Tubby have recruited as well? No one really knows, people saying one way or the other are just making assumptions which I don't care for, at the end of the pitino is our coach, but there is no reason for people continue to bash tubby considering the state of the program before he took over, he made the program better and hopefully Pitino can built on that and make it even better than that.

Alvin Ellis was filler for mich St. You can look this up, but I'm fairly certain he was ranked around 200 composite by the recruiting services. The type of kid that would be a decent "finish" of a recruiting class.

Michigan St. doesn't recruit "filler". They're Michigan St. I repeat - we're above Michigan St. recruits?

Michigan St. doesn't recruit "filler". They're Michigan St. I repeat - we're above Michigan St. recruits?
He would be our 4th highest ranked recruit, if he were in this class. Mich St absolutely does recruit role/bit players, which is what I mean by filler.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ellis started in only 10 games in 4 years (8 of those last year - I believe - due to a starter's injury) and averaged 3.2 points for his career. I don't think it's a reach to say that qualifies as "filler".

I wonder if North Dakota would compare a recruit in the 400's to Gaston and be like "we're above Minnesota Recruits?". Point being there are duds at every school Michigan State included.

Having watched Ellis play a bit, had he been given more playing time he could have preformed well. He definitely stepped his game up when Izzo asked him to as a senior when Eron Haris went down. I have no doubt he would have been a decent contributor for Minnesota I'm just not sure in what role he would have ended up playing (bench or would he have started his senior year?).

Are you saying that every recruit they get is someone they expect to make a major impact? Isn't that kind of impossible considering there are 13 players on scholarship and usually fewer than 10 people in the rotation? Alvin Ellis averaged 6 and 3 in his best year at MSU. He wasn't special simply because he played for Izzo. He would have been an okay role player here.

Here is the flaw in your argument. Alvin Ellis would have been the #2 ranked player in a class for the Gophers which needed to have talent to play right away and be multi-year starters. If he would have been our lowest rated recruit, he would have been just fine. We would have counted on him playing spot minutes and filling in when needed, and hope he turned into more. At MSU, he was coming in a year after 5 star Gary Harris. I am pretty sure they werent bringing him in to be a starter. Not to mention they had very good PGs already in the system.

How do you figure? Since when do we out-recruit Michigan St. in basketball (or football, for that matter)?

It's happening more and more. Coffey definitely was recruited very hard by Izzo. On the football side, there have been multiple instances the last few years where we have landed guys who had Michigan State offers. Not saying it happens all the time, but it's not like it's as big of an obstacle as losing guys to Duke.

Ellis started in only 10 games in 4 years (8 of those last year - I believe - due to a starter's injury) and averaged 3.2 points for his career. I don't think it's a reach to say that qualifies as "filler".

^This.

But the crotchety old man will keep arguing, “but, but, it’s Michigan State, guys”.

Speaking of MSU, I remember it looked like we were going to land Tum Tum as our pg in the class four years ago, and then izzo swooped in at the 11th hour with a late offer, and stole him. So we had to move on and settled for Mason.

Lol, look who got the last laugh on that one. Tum Tum sucks, they can have him.

^This.

But the crotchety old man will keep arguing, “but, but, it’s Michigan State, guys”.

37 is "crotchety and old," apparently.

Also, someone's age has anything to do with the validity of one's arguments.

Spring basketball recruiting has been a much different animal than Summer recruiting for Fall commits. Blue Bloods will often compete with "lesser" schools for recruits due to players declaring for the NBA draft or an unexpected transfer or injury. Former Gophers assistant Dan McHale who is at Eastern Kentucky lost a point guard target to Duke(!) last Spring. During the Dan Monson tenure there was a formerly lightly recruited player from Illinois who was available in the Spring who ended up deciding between Minnesota and Kansas. Another poster may remember his name but it was a significant topic on the board at the time. I do remember that the player did not finish his four years at Kansas and barely saw the floor. That is the usual outcome for most of these kids as teams simply try to fill a pressing need with what is leftover. In the case of Ellis, MSU didn't offer when he committed to Minnesota but was interested when they had a scholarship and a need at his position.

Not much impact on the Gophers, but we did have an offer out to Talen Horton-Tucker, who committed to Iowa State today. Crazy, and unfortunate, story about him that I just found out about.

So a couple weeks back, Illinois got a commit from Ayo Dosunmu, a composite top 30 guard, the #1 player in Illinois for 2018, and a member of the Mac Irvin Fire AAU team. Talen Horton-Tucker was also a member of Mac Irivin Fire, but left for another AAU team at some point. This pissed off the AAU coach so much that he basically gave the Illinois staff, who wanted both players, an ultimatum. The coach would only let Dosunmu commit to Illinois if they turned away Horton-Tucker, or they could take Horton-Tucker, and get locked out of taking Dosunmu, and basically burn their bridge with the Mac Irvin Fire AAU program, which presumably would cripple Underwood's recruiting right out of the gate. Horton-Tucker officially visited Illinois last week, and there's a rumor that he wanted to commit on his visit, but the Illinois staff couldn't take him if they wanted to keep Dosunmu. So this kid couldn't go to the school he wanted because his AAU coach is a vindictive piece of crap.

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsport...linois-passed-on-simeons-talen-horton-tucker/

Not much impact on the Gophers, but we did have an offer out to Talen Horton-Tucker, who committed to Iowa State today. Crazy, and unfortunate, story about him that I just found out about.

So a couple weeks back, Illinois got a commit from Ayo Dosunmu, a composite top 30 guard, the #1 player in Illinois for 2018, and a member of the Mac Irvin Fire AAU team. Talen Horton-Tucker was also a member of Mac Irivin Fire, but left for another AAU team at some point. This pissed off the AAU coach so much that he basically gave the Illinois staff, who wanted both players, an ultimatum. The coach would only let Dosunmu commit to Illinois if they turned away Horton-Tucker, or they could take Horton-Tucker, and get locked out of taking Dosunmu, and basically burn their bridge with the Mac Irvin Fire AAU program, which presumably would cripple Underwood's recruiting right out of the gate. Horton-Tucker officially visited Illinois last week, and there's a rumor that he wanted to commit on his visit, but the Illinois staff couldn't take him if they wanted to keep Dosunmu. So this kid couldn't go to the school he wanted because his AAU coach is a vindictive piece of crap.

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsport...linois-passed-on-simeons-talen-horton-tucker/

Why do that coaches players have to heed his advice? I would think Dosunmu could just ignore his coach? I'm probably being naive.

Why do that coaches players have to heed his advice? I would think Dosunmu could just ignore his coach? I'm probably being naive.

More evidence that the club coaches/organizations have way too much influence on the process. Parents should be the ones helping their kids, but the process is overwhelming for some of them and they need someone they can trust to help them. A vindictive coach is not someone they should be trusting. I'm not sure Illinois staff had any choice in the matter. If the club was going to eliminate access to its players because the coach was pissed off, they had no choice. Ugly.

Mac Irvin Fire coaches have had terrible reputations for a while, so this doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I'd be fine with never recruiting players from that program.

per Chad:

Playing together on an offseason AAU basketball team, Daniel Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Thomas spent many long nights talking about what the next four years could hold for them.

They envisioned Oturu dominating the block, Kalscheur shooting 3s and Thomas using his athleticism to pull down rebounds. All for their hometown Gophers.

On Wednesday, the three Minnesotans take a giant step closer to becoming college teammates, with each planning to sign a letter of intent to play for the Gophers men’s basketball team in what will be the U’s biggest single haul of local talent since Royce White headlined three Minnesotans who did the same in 2009.

All three long ago gave oral commitments to the Gophers, and can sign officially with the program Wednesday, the first day the NCAA allows non-football and soccer players to sign letters of intent for the Class of 2018.

“We are all coming together for the same goal — to put on for our state,” said Oturu, a 6-foot-10 center who plays for Cretin-Derham Hall. “You don’t have to leave to be successful. We want to build our own legacy at the U and continue that with the younger generation too. Hopefully, more kids will stay home too and play for the Gophers. We want to start a trend.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/0...recruits-hope-this-is-start-of-something-big/

Go Gophers!!

So are the fax machines running??? Did we get the LOI's?

So are the fax machines running??? Did we get the LOI's?

They all have signings set-up.

Jarvis signed this morning. I believe Oturu is after school (3:30pm) and Kalscheur is tonight but I can't recall.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Next year we also add Stockman to our active roster. We are indeed loaded for another great run.

Next year we also add Stockman to our active roster. We are indeed loaded for another great run.

Ideally, yes - but it won't be easy to replace Mason and Lynch. I doubt it will happen, but there is at least a low-percentage chance that Coffey declares after this season depending on how he continues to progress.

We aren't yet at the stage where we can assume good seasons most years, but it will be nice to replace Mason with Washington, Lynch with Curry, etc. rather than having enormous drop-offs at those positions.

Ideally, yes - but it won't be easy to replace Mason and Lynch. I doubt it will happen, but there is at least a low-percentage chance that Coffey declares after this season depending on how he continues to progress.

We aren't yet at the stage where we can assume good seasons most years, but it will be nice to replace Mason with Washington, Lynch with Curry, etc. rather than having enormous drop-offs at those positions.

Agreed, we're not a top 15 team next year with our departures. Are we top 4 in the Big 10 conversation? I'd say we are at least in the conversation for contending to be in the top 4, which was a success measure in the past.

Agreed with this.

Top Bottom