All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I usually favor lefties because I am one but there is some truth to them being tougher to defend. Everything is backwards so instincts can get in the way of a defender.

Just hoping we get a commitment soon.

When is national signing day?

National Signing Day isn't until the Spring but commits can sign LOIs in about 3 weeks.

I'm confused. Whats the difference?

The official National Signing Day which is May 16th next year serves as a deadline for recruits to get their paperwork in. If they want to be a part of the 2018 class that's when their LOIs have to be in though I think there's some wiggle room for athletes that reclassify (like Marvin Bagley and Jontay Porter). I believe an early signing period was created for smaller programs to prevent bigger programs from swooping in late and flipping their recruits. The early signing period is November 8th for 2018 recruits. It's an option for the athletes to have the process over and done with as well. Other schools can't contact recruits once they've signed LOIs obviously.

Probably didn't do the best job explaining it but there ya go haha.

The official National Signing Day which is May 16th next year serves as a deadline for recruits to get their paperwork in. If they want to be a part of the 2018 class that's when their LOIs have to be in though I think there's some wiggle room for athletes that reclassify (like Marvin Bagley and Jontay Porter). I believe an early signing period was created for smaller programs to prevent bigger programs from swooping in late and flipping their recruits. The early signing period is November 8th for 2018 recruits. It's an option for the athletes to have the process over and done with as well. Other schools can't contact recruits once they've signed LOIs obviously.

Makes sense. But the LOI locks in the player and school, correct?

Watching the Wolves last night, that's how Mark Jackson explained Kyle Anderson. He said, "he has one speed: smooth" (I know this added no value to the thread.)

Correct, this should have been posted to the 'definition of smooth' thread

jk

Can they sign on any day between Nov 8 and May 16?
Or is the signing only on those two days?
Thanks

Can they sign on any day between Nov 8 and May 16?
Or is the signing only on those two days?
Thanks

I should actually clarify. There's a week long window with the early signing period between Nov 8th and Nov 15th where they can sign. There's a cutoff on Nov 15th where recruits that didn't sign have to wait until April 11th of next year for the chance to sign again where there's a month long window that ends on May 16th. May 16th being the absolute last day you can sign as a member of the 2018 class (those reclassifying are a different story). Sorry for the confusion.

Here's a link to signing periods for Basketball and all the other sports for those curious: http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/future.html

We didn’t make keyontae’s final list. Hoping for Nelson at this point

We didn’t make keyontae’s final list. Hoping for Nelson at this point

Just a thought, not really based on any inside info, but it is possible that Nelson has already told the staff he has comiitted and in return, the staff told Johnson that the spot is no longer available.

Just a thought, not really based on any inside info, but it is possible that Nelson has already told the staff he has comiitted and in return, the staff told Johnson that the spot is no longer available.

Spot on in my opinion. It would be very odd to cut his list to four schools and not include the school he just took an official visit to without some kind of reason to exclude them. With the timing coming out of Nelson announcing on Monday, this definitely points towards him choosing the Gophers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully this is the case. It may be a bit of that and Johnson wanting to stay in the Southeast. At least that's what it's seemed like throughout his recruitment. The Seton Hall people seem pretty resigned to the fact he's coming here so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Gophers would have taken Johnson if he wanted to come, but i do think that Nelson is coming. He will be a complimentary player which happens to be critically important.

Gophers would have taken Johnson if he wanted to come, but i do think that Nelson is coming. He will be a complimentary player which happens to be critically important.

What makes him complimentary? Are not all recruits that-and I am not trying to be critical of your comment, but is it the position he is expected to play? Or is he talented in playing multiple positions?

It seems odd that Johnson would eliminate us so soon after an official visit. How often does a recruit have enough interest to make an official visit, but then have it go so badly that the recruit leaves with the impression of "I don't know where I'm going, but I am absolutely not going to go to this school." Maybe that's what happened, but DeathClutch's theory, that he eliminated us because Anthony Nelson made a silent commitment, would make Keyontae Johnson's actions make more sense.

The idea that the staff rolled out the red carpet for Johnson, told him that he was our first choice for this last scholarship, and that he would respond by removing us from consideration a short while later, seems a little illogical. I could probably believe that the staff had a slight preference for Johnson, but decided they would give the scholarship to whomever committed first between him and Nelson.

Just funny to see the CB on Nelson. Going back and forth, from Seton Hall to Gophers, now back to Seton Hall.

So for what it's worth Dain Ervin the guy who started the run of "experts" and "insiders" picking Anthony Nelson to Minnesota on 247's Crystal Ball, changed his pick to Seton Hall last night. There has since been another guy who has also put in a pick for Nelson to Seton Hall and he might have previously picked him to Minnesota as well.

So for what it's worth Dain Ervin the guy who started the run of "experts" and "insiders" picking Anthony Nelson to Minnesota on 247's Crystal Ball, changed his pick to Seton Hall last night. There has since been another guy who has also put in a pick for Nelson to Seton Hall and he might have previously picked him to Minnesota as well.

Could be the fun of recruiting. Get a verbal from Nelson. Tell Johnson the last schollie is locked up. Johnson releases his top schools since Minny is no longer option. Nelson changes mind, goes to SH.

I'm totally making this up, but probably happens often

Yeah, the Seton Hall board is pretty confident with their chances this morning, after being pessimistic last week. Wouldn't be surprised if he chooses SHU this evening. Oh well, might as well save the scholarship for the Spring and pick up a transfer of some sort or a Spring decommit.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Seton Hall board is pretty confident with their chances this morning, after being pessimistic last week. Wouldn't be surprised if he chooses SHU this evening. Oh well, might as well save the scholarship for the Spring and pick up a transfer of some sort or a Spring decommit.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Anyone know what time he's announcing?

This is why I don't get the appeal of subscribing to 247/Scout or Rivals. Decision day there's always a swing of predictions one way or the other which is usually down to a leak from a coach. National guys typically have better connections and are more on the money but the local guys know about as much as we do for the most part. The Crystal Ball thing seems good for knowing whether you are in a recruit's final list but otherwise there's often not a ton to be gained.

It'll be interesting for sure, but doesn't sound too promising at the moment

Top Bottom